• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living in D.C. Temporarily (Well, VA Now).

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have decent money, it is an incredibly fun city. Lots of drinking, lots of women, great history.....just a damn good time. Love the place.

D.C. May be redefining my standard of 'decent money' -- I though Boston was expensive, but renting in DC is literally $1k per room, which I find excessive. The time when I am there will be a period over which I am saving for future expenditures, but I will have enough surplus to have some fun with my lady when she is around.

Looking forward to it.

~ H

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Southwest Waterfront (right near the Metro stop) or Cleveland Heights? Is the Green Line Ok to get places - seems to go up to You street_, In the morning I'd need to xfer to the Yellow but that doesn'3 seem bad. SW place has gated parking_ too.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Southwest Waterfront (right near the Metro stop) or Cleveland Heights? Is the Green Line Ok to get places - seems to go up to You street_, In the morning I'd need to xfer to the Yellow but that doesn'3 seem bad. SW place has gated parking_ too.

Is it the Waterfront-SEU or Navy Yard stop? The latter area will be a lot of fun being so close to Nationals Park. If possible, walk around the neighborhood at night to make sure you feel safe.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My kid brother rents a condo across from the Waterfront metro station and is looking at buying sometime soon. He's a GIS geek and was bored for a few minutes one afternoon, so he made a map of how he views the area. Might be useful.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waterfront -SEU (the one at 4th and M in case I am wrong). Man, I really need to get on top of this.

Thanks for the map, random.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Waterfront aint great but it isnt terrible. Navy yard is better, I used to live there. HIt me up when you get to town. You won't be far from my $1 pbr spot

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wound up closing on a place on the VA side. Metro will get me to L'Enfant in about the same time it would've taken me to get there on foot from the Waterfront place. I admit that it seemed cool to be so close to the Mall, but realistically, most nights I am likely to get in late, and having a gym/pool/etc in a managed building will likely be more useful to me than being able to walk to the Mall. I've never really had access to a gym and pool, which I think will be nice -- I'd like to see if I can drop 10 lbs in 2.5 mos, which seems reasonable.

I haven't been to DC in two decades. Things I must do: National Gallery and the Museum of Natural History (am something of a geological/paleo guy), both of which I have never seen. Will redo the Smithsonian, of course.

Tell me about the following: Places for good coffee/breakfast, any great places to purchase foodstuffs, good neighborhoods to wander into a restaurant (U street is my only lead here), and best places to canvass for great wine/spirits (is MD/VA/DC better?) Any good outlets for sartorial interests?

ALSO: tell me about the DC thrifting scene. My gf is an intense thrifter, and if there are some cool spots, I'd love to go -- feel free to PM as I'll only be there a little while and won't spoil it!

Thanks!
Huntsman

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wound up closing on a place on the VA side. Metro will get me to L'Enfant in about the same time it would've taken me to get there on foot from the Waterfront place. I admit that it seemed cool to be so close to the Mall, but realistically, most nights I am likely to get in late, and having a gym/pool/etc in a managed building will likely be more useful to me than being able to walk to the Mall. I've never really had access to a gym and pool, which I think will be nice -- I'd like to see if I can drop 10 lbs in 2.5 mos, which seems reasonable.

I haven't been to DC in two decades. Things I must do: National Gallery and the Museum of Natural History (am something of a geological/paleo guy), both of which I have never seen. Will redo the Smithsonian, of course.

Tell me about the following: Places for good coffee/breakfast, any great places to purchase foodstuffs, good neighborhoods to wander into a restaurant (U street is my only lead here), and best places to canvass for great wine/spirits (is MD/VA/DC better?) Any good outlets for sartorial interests?

ALSO: tell me about the DC thrifting scene. My gf is an intense thrifter, and if there are some cool spots, I'd love to go -- feel free to PM as I'll only be there a little while and won't spoil it!

Thanks!
Huntsman

Where in Arilington?

VA is terrible for spirits, because of state control. MacCarthur beverage, NW of Georgetown is probably the best place for wine. Arlington Farmer's market is pretty good.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah. right. It's been a while since I was in VA.

I like going to wine and spirits stores looking for odd/old/NOS stuff like a hobby, so I have no trouble going out of the way. Now I know to just skip VA. Thanks for the tips.

~ H

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Schneider's of Capitol Hill (near Union Station) has a great selection and great prices. Paul's (Friendship Heights) is pretty good too. 1 West Dupont Circle has a huge selection but is very pricey. I have heard great things about Ace Beverage (Wesley Heights, not metrorail accessible).

Not sure if any of these places will have NOS.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coolness, thanks. I'll try them all! True, NOS is not found in the nicest of stores. I'll stop in whenever I walk by someplace interesting.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also was impressed by Sherry's Wine and Spirits (Woodley Park) the last time I stopped in to visit. I think it may replace Schneider's as my go-to place for slightly obscure liquors. It is supposed to have a really good single-malt scotch selection in particular.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oooooooh. Will do!

speedy4500

Reaction score

Thanks!
Huntsman

I don't drink coffee, and usually cook breakfast for myself, so I can't help you there. P&C Market on Lincoln Park is a nice little food store, high quality products and not too expensive. Hana Japanese Market on U is a fun place to find all kind of obscure imported food items. Eastern Market is kind of a big deal in DC; I don't like it that much, but I suppose it would be worthwhile for you to check out and decide for yourself.

Barrack's Row seems to be a hot spot for restaurants the past year or two; I tend to find most of the options there to be middling and overpriced, however. The 14th St corridor (Logan Circle area) has some nice spots and will be opening about a dozen restaurants this summer, many from well-established chefs or dining groups, so that would be a good strip for a culinary adventure. I also enjoy the Shaw/Bloomingdale area a lot, though many would consider it rough around the edges still-- but it's home to my favorite Ethiopian joint (Zenebech).

Schneider's on the Hill is my usual spot for booze since it's close to my place, but I've also had success with Calvert-Woodley and Central Liquors (only place I was able to find Pimento Dram). Though I'm mostly a beer/whiskey guy, I have heard great things about Weygandt in Cleveland Park for wine specifically.

Regarding "thrifting," the women I know who check out the second-hand circuit in DC tell me that things tend to be over-priced at such stores in this city. So pretty much par for the course, really. I'll ask my lady-friends for best suggestions and let you know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads