• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living in an efficiency

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will be changing apartments in the coming months and am looking into getting my own place (currently have a roomate). I like the idea of "executive" efficiencies (glorified L-shaped studio with a nook that can act as a bedroom) so will be looking at a few in the coming weeks. Is there anything I should be aware of (apart from space constraints, no true privacy for the bedroom) when taking a look at them? I know a true studio is out of the question, but true 1 bedrooms in the neighborhoods I'm looking at (Dupont, Woodley, Cleveland Park, Foggy Bottom) are out of my pricepoint so it's either finding the right efficiency or looking for a new roomate (which I don't really want to do).

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They will not really do for entertaining, but that's not a big deal.

I've seen people try to divide studios with Japanese screens, etc., which I think is a bad move. It's a studio- don't try to create a half-assed bedroom.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
True. A studio I saw last night was even too small for the halfassed divider (a key reason why I don't like studios). The space I'll be looking at this weekend is supposed to be L-shaped and about 500sq. ft. I think my current 2br apartment is 750-900 sq. feet (I forget) but still not sure what that really means. I'm considering putting a largish bookcase as the divider of the bedroom (the nook making the L) but we'll see when I take a look at it.

Yeah, entertaining is not a huge deal but I will like to be able to have people over for cocktails every now and then (and I don't want my bed to act as a couch).

skiwebster

Reaction score
I live in a executive studio aka jr 1 bedroom aka studio with a nook for my bed. The nook would only fit my queen size bed if it was turned against the far wall, like a captain's bed. I decided to rotate the bed, however, so that a person on either side can get out of it. As a result, I can't close my accordian doors to my nook. I don't see this as a problem though. The main point of the nook is to be able to shut the door to your "bedroom" if you have guests over. But that also makes the apartment feel much smaller.

When I have guests, people sit on the couch, chair and around my table. No one sits on my bed but the apartment just looks that much bigger without a divider up.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting point. We'll see when I take a look at the next place.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Murphy bed? We're looking at a custom made jobbie for the house we're building, to put in a room that can double as a guest suite, but otherwise clears the floorspace for use, and the bottom looks like a wall installation with a fold out desk. It's pretty nice looking and highly functional.

I often think, if I should (god forbid) ever become single again, about living in a very small space. The relief from having the ability to own things, and the money I could save, are very interesting ideas.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Murphy bed? We're looking at a custom made jobbie for the house we're building, to put in a room that can double as a guest suite, but otherwise clears the floorspace for use, and the bottom looks like a wall installation with a fold out desk. It's pretty nice looking and highly functional.

I often think, if I should (god forbid) ever become single again, about living in a very small space. The relief from having the ability to own things, and the money I could save, are very interesting ideas.

I saw some luxury condo apartment that had this feature, they were top notch but had that hotel room, cold feel that you can get from modern, decor mag sleekness. The bed sorta added to that. It really depends on the way deco to work.

skiwebster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

Murphy beds are a great idea but they are pretty expensive. I think they go for anywhere between $2k - $3k which doesn't sound like that much, but its a lot considering it's going in an apartment with $1500/month rent. I'd rather take the murphy bed money and pay an extra 200 a month to get a one bedroom.

When I was looking for places, I saw an apartment with a Murphy table. Now that was cool.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I saw some luxury condo apartment that had this feature, they were top notch but had that hotel room, cold feel that you can get from modern, decor mag sleekness. The bed sorta added to that. It really depends on the way deco to work.

I know exactly what you're saying. That's why we're looking at this guy that does custom jobs. He showed us some examples of very warm wood, book cases on one or both sides, indirect lightening shines down on the desk area, which when the bed is lowered, actually gives indirect lightening at the foot of the bed. It's pretty cool, and serves the purpose of giving us a nice guest suite, but not losing that room to fuctionality. I plan to use it as my conservatory and computer room, so five minutes of moving a few things, and voila, a nice dedicated guest suite with en suite bathroom/shower.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I would hate to deal with one when trashed at 4 in the morning.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
^ I would hate to deal with one when trashed at 4 in the morning.

Put it down before you start drinking. Amateurs!

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Ample storage is the key to living in small spaces. Look for an efficiency with good closet and cupboard space.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
^ Or not owning a ton of random ****

Dude, it's not like that. I own practically nothing and can barely fit all my **** into my studio. It's insane trying to squeeze everything into a place that has very little cupboard space, and not that much space to put other storage.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Dude, it's not like that. I own practically nothing and can barely fit all my **** into my studio. It's insane trying to squeeze everything into a place that has very little cupboard space, and not that much space to put other storage.
Maybe Jodum doesn't require as much body space.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads