• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living Beyond Their Means...

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Really???
Thousands?

yes. I bought my first big screen lcd for my own room when I was 15 after a while of saving (roughly 2 grand). But I also made sure I had enough to purchase more than one, which was a sentiment passed down from my grandfather. When I say I have restraint, I mean it lol. I can go without spending a dime for an extended period of time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
I live beyond my means now. I make nearly nothing, but spend like crazy. But I know the implications of this and when it comes time to be financially independent this will all subside. I have proven restraint and the ability to save. Before I ever had a job, I would save my birthday and lunch money until it would reach in the thousands (all cash btw, no bank account until I was 18 lol).

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Really???
Thousands?

yes. I bought my first big screen lcd for my own room when I was 15 after a while of saving (roughly 2 grand). But I also made sure I had enough to purchase more than one, which was a sentiment passed down from my grandfather. When I say I have restraint, I mean it lol. I can go without spending a dime for an extended period of time.

And I worked all summer at Green Giant to buy my widowed mother and myself a clunker car when I was 16. Clearly, I suck at picking families to get born into.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
And I worked all summer at Green Giant to buy my widowed mother and myself a clunker car when I was 16. Clearly, I suck at picking families to get born into.

sorry to hear your mother was widowed. That is a sad situation. It's not that my family is mega rich, we're just well off. That, coupled with my desire to have a large sum of money at the time, lef to that outcome. I'm totally aware of people who have to work hard and aren't as privledged as I am and I respect that fully. Hard work builds character, but then again, I do not see the necessity in breaking you back if you don't have to.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
sorry to hear your mother was widowed. That is a sad situation. It's not that my family is mega rich, we're just well off. That, coupled with my desire to have a large sum of money at the time, lef to that outcome. I'm totally aware of people who have to work hard and aren't as privledged as I am and I respect that fully. Hard work builds character, but then again, I do not see the necessity in breaking you back if you don't have to.

Yes, my father dropped dead when I was nine. Thanks for the concerns, but eh, life is tough. This was nothing at you, just clearly fetus Piob needed a much better map to choice of uteri.

breitlingman

Reaction score
Saving is overrated, unless I have something to save for. I always invest.

satorstyle

Reaction score
^^^^

It's best to do both, liquidity is king hence the need to have readily available savings.

Gutman

Reaction score
I think it was Oscar Wilde who said "i am living so far beyond my means we could almost be said to be living apart"

Seriously though, a mortgage is one thing (at least you have an asset with some net equity, hopefully), but hire purchase and credit card debt is just poison. I am dealing with some legacy debt from a former relationship, and can't wait til it's gone. It just hangs over you, and costs real money servicing the debt.

Better to be a cash-spender. That way you save, and have something to look forward to, which stops you spending in the meantime. Credit spending is like a sugar rush, never really satisfies. I remember my dad always saying that if you spend $1 you will end up spending $2...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people have certain overspending tendencies brought about by stress, grief or depression. They get a "lift" when they go and buy things or spend money. Sometimes it gives them a temporary feeling of control. Unfortunately, this type of behavior leads to serious financial problems and more stress and depression.
frown.gif

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to know mortgage debt is ok cuz I'm up to my eyeballs in it and I love it!! The more the banks are willing to lend, the more I borrow.
smile.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^mortgage is killing me now. and i have no control at all. if i didn't have the kids and wife, i'd be bankrupt and dead in a ditch.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
^mortgage is killing me now. and i have no control at all. if i didn't have the kids and wife, i'd be bankrupt and dead in a ditch.

Not to sound snarky or in any way condescending, but how are your wife and kids helping your financial situation? I'm not saying that a family isn't a blessing, just that having one adds considerable expense to your life. In fact, my lack of motivation to have a family stems partly from my desire to limit expenses and keep my eye set on retiring as early as possible.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

We have a lot in common I see.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Not to sound snarky or in any way condescending, but how are your wife and kids helping your financial situation? I'm not saying that a family isn't a blessing, just that having one adds considerable expense to your life. In fact, my lack of motivation to have a family stems partly from my desire to limit expenses and keep my eye set on retiring as early as possible.

I wanna punch you in the face.

It means the motivation and responsibility linked to his familial situation is what keeps him going and finding the energy and money to pay for allthat ****. If he was alone he'd say *******!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics