• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living Alone.

Macto

Reaction score
So I'm getting a job, and I need enough for rent, which is about 1,600.

I need an estimate on salaries for people just out of high school and how much groceries and toiletries are per month.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Thought about it for awhile, and I think the answer is 4 stars.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of highschool, $1600 rent?

facepalm.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
facepalm.gif

Do you realize how much money that is?

DutchMen

Reaction score
$1600 in NYC is nothing, is a small studio.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, NYC is expensive.

Unless OP's got a hell of a job out of highschool, its not easy to swing $1600 a month. I'm paying about $800/month just out of college and living quite comfortably. $1600 is quite another thing.

And to answer your original question OP, that all depends on the person. Do you like to go out/party on the weekends? That is the most of my weekly budget by far.. and its not cheap

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macto
So I'm getting a job, and I need enough for rent, which is about 1,600.

I need an estimate on salaries for people just out of high school and how much groceries and toiletries are per month.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

What job are you working with a high school diploma that pays more than sixteen hundred a month?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
My first place out of college was $1600 rent. I spent about $800/month on food, bills, incidentals. I cooked at least 2 meals a day and did not wild-out on booze, restaurants, or clothes.

Cooked 2 meals a day?? Did you not have a job??

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been out of college for almost 3 years and I have a $1,600 mortgage. But this is college we are talking about. A lot of my college grad friends would have a really hard time swinging $1600 per month. Even if you wanted to try to live like Ghandi no landlord in his right mind would rent you a place if you are not making at the very least 40 times your monthly rent. That means you will have to prove that you make at the very least $64,000. In NYC that calculation is pretty standard I've found.

Oh yeah, and don't even think about getting a girlfriend. You will likely go into eviction in 4 about months.

imschatz

Reaction score
I'm currently living away from home going to school, and I'm spending about $1150/month + $600/month rent. But I have not been following a budget, and spend a fair bit travelling/communicating long-distance with my girlfriend.

I could probably cut my spending in half if I wanted.

Macto

Reaction score
Yeah, 15-20 hour work days. Price I have to pay for ******* around in high school.

so around $1800 - $2000 a month.

ffffuuuu.gif

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Yeah, 15-20 hour work days. Price I have to pay for ******* around in high school.

so around $1800 - $2000 a month.

ffffuuuu.gif

Wait, so you make $1,800-$2,000/month (net?) and you're considering spending $1,600/month??? Are you sure you got that diploma?

Macto

Reaction score
Lol. I'd have to make around $1,800 to $2000 a month just for rent and stuff. I'd need to make more obviously.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Lol. I'd have to make around $1,800 to $2000 a month just for rent and stuff. I'd need to make more obviously.

Obviously, like at least $5k/month at the very minimum.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fresh out of college here. No way I'd spend $1600 on rent... I make that much in a month working part time.

I spend about $300/mo on food. This excludes bars/happy hours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics