1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Livening Up A Black Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by galwaykinnell, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Just to illustrate my position, I think this shirt of Will's would be pretty near ideal, worn with a white square and a wedding tie.

2. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

The only acceptable way to liven up a black suit is to bleach it white.

[​IMG]

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

The only acceptable way to liven up a black suit is to bleach it white.
    or set it ablaze

4. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Senior member

Has anyone here ever worn light brown shoes with a black suit? I've heard that people do that in Italy.

5. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

[​IMG]
    I want luca's suit.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

7. bluesman528

bluesman528 Senior member

I would want Luca's suit only if I had his body dimensions, too. [​IMG] [​IMG] Besides, it's nicely fitted but purely fashionable (color, jacket too short). It's quite a good choice for the 50th suit in anyone's closet. [​IMG]

8. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

i'm going to copy that look with my black kilgour peak lapel. where would i find a tie like luca's?

9. lincolnshirepaul

lincolnshirepaul Active Member

I would aim for something like Prince Charles's fantastic silk pocket square here.

I've hardly ever seen a man look so at home in a tux, unlike William with his brogues, travolta-esque trousers, stuffy white pocket square, and rather oversize jacket.

Btw, Charles's FC looks fantastic, how would I instruct my tailor to make my cuffs this way? And what kind of cuff links would I need?

[​IMG]

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Go with the earlier suggestion: pink gingham shirt and white ps. that's it. HOWEVER, get some nice shoes....
    (And after the wedding, get yourself a blue suit, a can of gasoline and some matches(for the black suit!)

11. Octoberfile

Octoberfile Senior member

Nothing wrong with a black suit....I've got four of them....you'll never run out of funerals to wear them at since everyone eventually dies. They're also rather appropriate for indoor weddings, since a wedding is just a funeral for the groom anyway.

12. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Nothing wrong with a black suit....I've got four of them....you'll never run out of funerals to wear them at since everyone eventually dies. They're also rather appropriate for indoor weddings, since a wedding is just a funeral for the groom anyway.

DON'T listen to him^^^!

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

One is enough...

Funerals and night out especially when clubs are involved...

Women love a man in a black suit...

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know we've beat the black suit horse to death, but I've always thought it can look good.. especially if you have the coloring for it. Usually looks best in a designer cut, for casual, social occasions. Personally I think pink and black is too harsh. I'd go light blue shirt with a subdued color tie. Maybe even a wedding tie like one of these. Again... gray or navy suit will be far more useful and easier to match shirts, ties, color, etc.
    where would i find a tie like luca's?
    Here.

15. Octoberfile

Octoberfile Senior member

That tie is very nice indeed.....and nothing beats the look of a nice black pinstrip DB or 3-piece for those hot dates at chez louie...during the evening of course.