• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Liven up a Tux help

samblau

Reaction score
I have a wedding tomorrow night. I have a very classic tux that previously belonged to my grandfather. At 27 y/o I want to know if there is a modern twist I can use to liven up the look. Willing to spend a fex bucks if nesc. I have a light purple dress **** by Malo, it has a flap that covers the buttons but also has a button down collar. What else can I do other than the same old black bow tie etc.?

Thanks. Please post here or PM me.

goodlife

Reaction score
I think most here will suggest you keep it pretty basic, and when it comes to black tie I agree. If you want to freshen the look a bit there are only a few good options.
- simple high quality links and studs
- forego studs and go for a minimalist look with a pique shirt with a turndown collar and a fly front (I like this look a lot, and if you think it is necessary you can get a little with with the links)
- I know this is not strictly SF approved, but I like a white silk square instead of the traditional linen tv fold
- interesting shoe like a mirror polished calf wholecut or something velvet like the other recent post

hamish5178

Reaction score
I wouldn't wear a BD collar shirt with a tux, but that's just me.

Jferg4350

Reaction score
There was a post of Label King in a tux with a blue shirt. I though that was a nice twist that could liven it up.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wearing a well-fitted, classic tux is a joy. It doesn't need livening. These days, wearing it in a strictly classical way amounts to a twist. Do it, and have fun doing it.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
These days, wearing it in a strictly classical way amounts to a twist. Do it, and have fun doing it.

+1

Make sure you have a great self tie black bow tie. That alone will liven up you outfit compared to all the straight ties and "clip on" bow ties in a rainbow of colours.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jferg4350
There was a post of Label King in a tux with a blue shirt. I though that was a nice twist that could liven it up.
Yes, I had a light blue formal shirt on. For black-tie, I think the shirt can present some creative options; festive bow-ties are a region of hate I don't want to go into. I would also wear a ruffled formal shirt, but that's just me.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you need a tux for the wedding? Usually the wedding party are the only guys wearing them, and they coordinate.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a patterned white silk pocket square by Kent Wang?

1075881964_c177cc667e.jpg

http://www.kentwang.com/index.php?cP...sort=2a&page=2

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Yes, I had a light blue formal shirt on.

For black-tie, I think the shirt can present some creative options; festive bow-ties are a region of hate I don't want to go into.

Not sure what you mean by modern, but avoid the BD and get a formal shirt. I like LK's approach to using a color other than white for the shirt. I think light blue, light pink or off-white textured shirts can be good, tasteful alternatives. I also think turn-downs look more modern than wing collars. You may want to look at getting slippers, perhaps in velvet, especially if you decide to play it straight with the rest of the outfit. A pair in maroon or green could work.

You don't really have much time to play around with the outfit, so the advice to keep it simple is a good one, especially if you are with a date. We forget that it's her and her outfit that's supposed to draw attention. You're there as a companion and an inoffensive accessory.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear your tux with an Ed Hardy shirt, brah!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads