• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Little help with some math?

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kind of a clever way to set up a test by the prof.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I almost skipped one of my final assignments because I figured that based upon my current grade and the % weight, I could afford to get a 0 and still pass (pass / fail course).

My advisor did not like the idea and insisted that I submit something that at least looked like I made an effort.

K

I actually did that as a senior in high school English. I had a solid B in the class, but getting full credit for the senior project wasn't enough to bump me up to an A and getting a 0 would only bring me down to a B-. Our actual transcripts didn't show +/- though, only a letter grade, so I skipped it altogether. There were actually a few students who didn't graduate because of that same project.

I'm taking a general education history class online right now online, which many people are taking as a pass/fail, and the professor has it written in the syllabus that even if you accumulate enough points to pass the class partway through the course, you must continue to do the minimum effort to pass the class.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
kind of a clever way to set up a test by the prof.

I dunno. Seems like giving them 21 terms and picking 3 at random would have been more straightforward.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I dunno. Seems like giving them 21 terms and picking 3 at random would have been more straightforward.

or the professor doesn't know any better himself, I assume it's humanity class?

p.s. yes, I am an engineer snob

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector

No. The method the prof has chosen cuts down on the amount of bitching. More choice in the matter is always preferred. Trust me.

b

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Actually, if it's probability you want, here's a few good statistics relative to this issue:

So, you will have to answer three questions out of 27 concepts - that's 1 in 27, or roughly 4% chance of being tested on each concept. However, reality tends to work its magic so that:

if you study 13 concepts, you ought to have a 47% chance of your chosen questions being on the exam. however - in practice this runs closer to 12% due to game theory and quantium statistics.

If you study 14 concepts *(commonly known as the "tipping Point" because you've just gone over 50%), you ought to have a 52% chance of your studied questions making the exam, but due to probabilistic tendencies and random chance - you're more likely to experience a 15% exam proficiency rate.

If you study 21 concepts, though - this is 50% more than the tipping point of 14, and therefore...well, I'll cut through the jargon and theoretical aspects of probabililstic calculus and Murphy's Law and tell you that your exam proficiency rate will skyrocket to 30%.

So, if you want to answer three questions well, I think that studying all 27, plus a few spares, should give you a good shot.

You're not so dumb after all. I feel tricked.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Clever testing?

I studied political science at the Univerysity of Minnesota in the 80's and I can assure you that there were no "here are 9 questions, answer the 3 that you might know the answer" type exams given in either the intro or masters level course work. The test showed up on your desk and you answered the questions provided...I'm sure I'm not alone in this experience.

The fact that the OP even had to ask about the "math" for his study program gives me great pain. I weep for the future, but someone needs to serve me tacos too.

Ugh.

7even

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe Cool
Clever testing?

I studied political science at the Univerysity of Minnesota in the 80's and I can assure you that there were no "here are 9 questions, answer the 3 that you might know the answer" type exams given in either the intro or masters level course work. The test showed up on your desk and you answered the questions provided...I'm sure I'm not alone in this experience.

The fact that the OP even had to ask about the "math" for his study program gives me great pain. I weep for the future, but someone needs to serve me tacos too.

Ugh.

lol nice finishing touch...

to the OP, just study all 27. that's what separate's the 90s from the 60s. unless you're feeling lucky
sneaky2.gif

ozymandias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe Cool
Clever testing? I studied political science at the Univerysity of Minnesota in the 80's and I can assure you that there were no "here are 9 questions, answer the 3 that you might know the answer" type exams given in either the intro or masters level course work. The test showed up on your desk and you answered the questions provided...I'm sure I'm not alone in this experience. The fact that the OP even had to ask about the "math" for his study program gives me great pain. I weep for the future, but someone needs to serve me tacos too. Ugh.
Thanks for the kind words. Want to hear the real kicker? I finished with As in Math 11 and 12 in the 57th best h school in the country (according to some statistics.)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Side question, what's math 11 and math 12?

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Want to hear the real kicker? I finished with As in Math 11 and 12 in the 57th best h school in the country (according to some statistics.)
Oh yeah? Well, I studied at the Univerysity of Minnesota.

We each have own little cross to bear
lol8[1].gif

Luv your avatar btw

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does a professor have you studying terms and defining them without actually asking you to apply them?

That's a bit of a disingenuous question, but this kind of 'learning' drives me ******* crazy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads