1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

[|literary suggestions

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NavyStyles, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

No, but what's with your obsession with old money?

2. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

One of my favorites - gets better the more times you read it. I particularly like the use of leitmotif for each character - so musical.

I'll add something humorous:
    Decline and Fall, by Evelyn Waugh

3. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Excellent choice. I also love Brideshead, and A Handful of Dust, along with Scoop.

4. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

If you're going to read Mann, Buddenbrooks. BTW, and totally off subject, but why is it that every second German, Russian or Scandanavian film seems to have a scene in it in which people are sitting with impassive, suffering faces, on some form of public transportation? Â Piece all those scenes together, and you'd have an advert for the California way of life.
    la guy, i haven't seen many german or russian films, as i'm partial to spanish, italian, and french cinema (i'm over my swedish/bergman phase), but where did that comment come from? i don't get it. thracozaag, was it andre gide who said, "trust those who seek truth. don't trust those who find it." i think that was the quote from truffaut's the soft skin.
    I believe you're correct on that, Matador.

5. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Another Waugh fan.

Less popular, but well-written nevertheless: "The Loved One" (excellent send-up of California, well LA) and "Black Mischief" (my favorite part was the 'Birth Control Gala').

6. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I wasnt aware I was obsessed with Old Money. It's an interesting book that doesn't soley cover the topic of Old Money.It observes the power thats WASP had in America and why they were losing it.

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Excellent choice. Â I also love Brideshead, and A Handful of Dust, along with Scoop.
    Another Waugh fan. Less popular, but well-written nevertheless: "The Loved One" (excellent send-up of California, well LA) and "Black Mischief" (my favorite part was the 'Birth Control Gala').
    I'll have to check out the Loved One, thanks.

8. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

"Hamlet"

9. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

If anyone here is a linguist or just interested in studying oddities of Anglophones, I suggest Crazy English by Richard Lederer. I recently read it and found it very amusing.

10. Stu

Stu Senior member

Matador:  With your handle, I always took you for a fan of Papa. Not surprising you like Death in the Afternoon. A fabulous piece of sports writing.
    I'm surprised no one here mentioned Graham Greene. He's like one of the most profound, prolific writers in teh English language of that last century.  Quiet American and The Comedians are two of the best, but really any of his books are great, and he wrote hundreds.

11. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Stu, I was actually going to mention Greene's The Power and the Glory. While I was reading it, it was nice enough. But I didn't fully appreciate it until after I had finished. All in all, I recommend it -- especially if you enjoy analyzing symbolism.

12. Stu

Stu Senior member

Classic Greene. Heavy on symbolism and God. It seems like every main character of his is a deeply religous Catholic at war with himself and wanting to be a good man of God but someone who is terribly flawed at the same time. Kind of like Johnny Cash. Greene's heavy on the theology and the struggle of one's soul and stuff like that.

But he is brilliant, and his work is insightful -- you learn from reading him. To understand Haiti, read The Comedians. To understand Vietnam, read The Quiet American. Not many novelists can educate as well as entertain.

13. cristobal

cristobal Well-Known Member

I absolutely adore "Our Man in Havana." The dialogue's very witty, and Greene's attention to detail gives the reader a remarkable taste of life in pre-revolutionary Cuba.

14. Stu

Stu Senior member

I'm surprised no one here mentioned Graham Greene.
    I absolutely adore "Our Man in Havana." The dialogue's very witty, and Greene's attention to detail gives the reader a remarkable taste of life in pre-revolutionary Cuba.
    yeah, that's good and entertaining, but IMHO not real indicative of classic Greene. He himself said so, and refused to call "Our Man" a novel. Rather, he referred to it as an "entertainment." he wrote a couple of so-called "entertainments." as opposed  to his more serious stuff. But it does have some Greene traits, such as the mocking tweaking of the British establishment by making fun of the M19.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I don't cringe at other's schools of thought. Besides I shouldn't wish for a lengthy philosophical discourse especially on a forum aimed at more of the superficial... Objective morality; "Les Chants de Maldoror," and "Justine" anyone?

One should read Buddenbrooks before venturing into that symbolic microcosm "The Magic Mountain."

Also I would add Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood," and Vidal's "Myra Breckinridge" for some examinations of American concepts.