1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

List your favorite put-down names!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mr. Checks, Sep 9, 2006.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Party pooper. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

I beg to differ. There's a difference between insults relating to "sexuality" generally, such as penis size insults, and insults that are considered to be insults because of an implication about the subject's sexual orientation. Saying that such terms insulting "regardless of orientation" makes sense only if one believes - and I understand you do not - that it is equally bad to be actually gay and to be mistakenly "accused" of being gay. For example, insults that question someone's intelligence may well have "sheer insult potential" regardless of the subject's actual intelligence. But that's only because being stupid is generally considered to be a bad thing.

I think the intention to insult and the mere implication that being gay is, not necessarily bad, per se, but somehow wrong or abnormal, makes insults about sexuality insulting regardless of orientation. What you actually think or feel about the matter is beside the point. Unless, of course, it crosses the line into hatred.

As is often pointed out here, tone often fails to come across well over the internet, so it's hard to gauge the actual sentiment behind the insult posted. Without context, isolated insults may appear truly intended to insult rather than for their humorous potential.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I think the intention to insult and the mere implication that being gay is, not necessarily bad, per se, but somehow wrong or abnormal, makes insults about sexuality insulting regardless of orientation. What you actually think or feel about the matter is beside the point. Unless, of course, it crosses the line into hatred.

As is often pointed out here, tone often fails to come across well over the internet, so it's hard to gauge the actual sentiment behind the insult posted. Without context, isolated insults may appear truly intended to insult rather than for their humorous potential.

I don't think I understand what you're saying in the first paragraph. (I agree with the second.) One can certainly intend to insult without necessarily agreeing with the underlying rationale implied by the "insult". Certainly one who harbors no actual prejudices can make an intellectual decision to insult someone using a racist or homophobic name simply because the words will be perceived to be an insult. But necessarily, there is not "insult" to be perceived unless one is on some level buying into (or at least taking advantage of) the notion that the "accusation" is of something "insulting". For a term that implies homosexuality to be "insulting", one must be referencing a context in which homosexuality is a negative trait.
    I also agree that whether certain terms of opprobrium are funny simply because of their sheer inventiveness in choice of words may be a wholly separate issue from their underlying meaning.

4. Nantucket Red

I don't think I understand what you're saying in the first paragraph. (I agree with the second.) One can certainly intend to insult without necessarily agreeing with the underlying rationale implied by the "insult". Certainly one who harbors no actual prejudices can make an intellectual decision to insult someone using a racist or homophobic name simply because the words will be perceived to be an insult. But necessarily, there is not "insult" to be perceived unless one is on some level buying into (or at least taking advantage of) the notion that the "accusation" is of something "insulting". For a term that implies homosexuality to be "insulting", one must be referencing a context in which homosexuality is a negative trait.
    I also agree that whether certain terms of opprobrium are funny simply because of their sheer inventiveness in choice of words may be a wholly separate issue from their underlying meaning.

You just recapitulated my first point, but less concisely.

I think the inventiveness factor is the reason I appreciate any insult. Those that target sexuality are often particularly rich. Some movie references are illustrative:

"Surprise, cockfags!" (a pie-in-the-face moment in Team America)

And Full Metal Jacket:

HARTMAN

Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?

COWBOY

Sir, Texas, sir!

HARTMAN
    Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!
    Do you suck dicks!

COWBOY
    Sir, no, sir!

HARTMAN
    Are you a peter-puffer?

COWBOY
    Sir, no,
    sir!

HARTMAN
    I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddam common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!

(The humor of Hartman's insults ends with the scene that follows this one.)

5. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

I bet the early puritans had their own version of political correctness and were just as humorless about it. Sheesh.

I heard one on the radio today: Sausage Gargler. This is funny wether or not your best friend, priest or brother is in fact a sausage gargler. The thought police be damned.

6. Nantucket Red

I bet the early puritans had their own version of political correctness and were just as humorless about it. Sheesh.

I heard one on the radio today: Sausage Gargler. This is funny wether or not your best friend, priest or brother is in fact a sausage gargler. The thought police be damned.

Bugger the wretched Puritans, the early and late ones too. Talk about not having the goddamn common courtesy to give a reach-around . . .

Sausage gargler -- damn, that is good.

7. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

You just recapitulated my first point, but less concisely.

I think the inventiveness factor is the reason I appreciate any insult. Those that target sexuality are often particularly rich. Some movie references are illustrative:

"Surprise, cockfags!" (a pie-in-the-face moment in Team America)

I think this also illustrates a difference in senses of humor. I don't find this one funny at all. It sounds dumb to me.

However...

And Full Metal Jacket:

HARTMAN
    ...Do you suck dicks!

HARTMAN
    I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddam common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!

The juxtoposition (sp?) of this is hilarious. At first it sounds like a gay joke, but then it turns into one about manners. That's funny.

Sausage gargler? Not funny at all. Damned silly, in fact.

Chacun a son gout, no?

b

8. Nantucket Red

I think this also illustrates a difference in senses of humor. I don't find this one funny at all. It sounds dumb to me.

However...

The juxtoposition (sp?) of this is hilarious. At first it sounds like a gay joke, but then it turns into one about manners. That's funny.

Chacun a son gout, no?

b

The Team America line depends a great deal on the particular scenario and the delivery, so the humor doesn't translate on the internet unless you've seen it. Clearly not the best choice of examples. The Full Metal Jacket dialogue is much more apt.

But yes, chacun a son gout.

And for now, I've had all the analysis I can stomach.

9. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

And for now, I've had all the analysis I can stomach.
    Stomach, eh? Got the Rod Stewart treatment?

10. Nantucket Red

Stomach, eh? Got the Rod Stewart treatment?

Never did I imagine I was setting myself up for this! [​IMG]

11. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

You stuck up half witted scruffy looking nerve hurter.

12. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

You stuck up half witted scruffy looking nerve hurter.

(it's "nerf" herder) [​IMG]

koji

13. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Personal fave: "you wide-brimmed foppish asshat"

koji

14. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

koji

That's a matter of huge debate on Star Wars fora, I am sure.

15. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

That's a matter of huge debate on Star Wars fora, I am sure.

Indeed, quite sad.

"Ed choota!"
    "How rude!"

koji

16. Nantucket Red

koji

God bless Wikipedia.

17. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

God bless Wikipedia.

Sadly, there are those of us (myself included) who know this off the tops of our heads, which leads me to another insult - geek.

18. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

19. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

20. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

b

Damned silly = funny.

Independent of context, the words sausage and gargler are already funny sounding. The idea of gargling sausages is funny (hell, gargling anything is funny) and when you combine them as a double euphemism (sausage= penis, gargle = fellatio) bringing with it as it does, all the attendant associations for humor that homosexuality provides, delightfull hilarity ensues.

Sense of humor is a lot like your personal sexuality: What turns you on may not turn on others. But no matter what tickles your funny bone, sausage will always equal penis.