• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

List of wool mills please (ASAP)

yunBW

Reaction score
Hi gents,
Tmrw I'm planning to get my first mtm trouser, but I need to buy my own fabric. The problem is there are sellers for textiles everywhere in that district and I don't really have much knowledge on wool fabric and mills. Since I don't wear formal clothing, and I don't really have time to research about it. Could anyone kindly provide a list of mills that are good for money for different price range like some average, mid , high end mills.
Thanks!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you know nothing about fabric and mills it is a bad idea to buy on your own. Ask your tailor for recommendations. Any decent tailor worth your money should be able to help you; avoid using them if they cannot.

Also if you have zero time to do at least a little research on your own, should you expect much effort on the part of others to collate the information for you?
In any case you have not given specific price ranges, temperature range, and guidance on 'formality' for any advice to be useful.

Last edited:

yunBW

Reaction score
I only know few mills which are VBC, loro piana, zegna, and holland sherry. I know there are much more mills. The reason I can't research because I have to travel in 2-3 weeks time, and mtm takes like 1-2 weeks for fitting or maybe 3 depending how fast. I don't really have any specific price range in mind, but I don't want to end up spending $300 on 1.5 m fabric. I want a all season trouser around 20-30C during summer, don't really care winter since I can just add inner wear. Let's say at the middle ground for formality, no shine on wool, 100-120 wool is fine, I want some texture because it will be a grey trouser. Basically, I want versatility on my first trouser.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breakaway01 is absolutely correct; It seems hardly worth bothering given that few would really want to bother with a short length. A refusal might well ensue given that their markets are tailors and your proposition is hardly worth the effort for them. If you are so bothered, try eBay, there are many merchants to be found who do supply off lengths,

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"but I need to buy my own fabric"

Why?

Tailors normally have fabric or access to fabric - if they don't you should consider a more helpful tailor as already suggested.

yunBW

Reaction score
I know in other countries they do that, but in the country (Kuwait) I'm living in people (most likely only some rich people) rarely makes suits. So, they don't carry suit fabric and they have a really small space... Also, there are only few high quality fabric mills (zegna, LP) and only few people might willing to invest on it. The tailor don't really give really give any suggestion, but his work are pretty good for the price you pay.

Why?

Tailors normally have fabric or access to fabric - if they don't you should consider a more helpful tailor as already suggested.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know in other countries they do that, but in the country (Kuwait) I'm living in people (most likely only some rich people) rarely makes suits. So, they don't carry suit fabric and they have a really small space... Also, there are only few high quality fabric mills (zegna, LP) and only few people might willing to invest on it. The tailor don't really give really give any suggestion, but his work are pretty good for the price you pay. 

Thank you for the background information.

I still think that you need to change tailors - I would visit another country if need be...

There may be some good mills in the UK that might interest you also.

Good luck with getting what works best for you.

yunBW

Reaction score
Thank you for the background information.

I still think that you need to change tailors - I would visit another country if need be...

There may be some good mills in the UK that might interest you also.

Good luck with getting what works best for you.
this was a suit pant made by him, I asked for 1 break (wasn't so informative about the breaks and stuff). What are your thoughts (I think he takes $20 to make a trouser)? Also, how's dormeuil fabric made in huddersfield England? Thanks
atJiaD6LHz9K6xFh-AClB4I86SajIuZi_EkcACcZxfISjenmxBg18L_nV8T1bmTqOOJIvE228oPqvNONbPFMameS3G89kmgyOOEe3Tr8Dauh6WtcF42DN1QYyh0F1bG_tlE6H0yk2s-WcrDemVedooifWuxExCok2CFKgGgoHaBFG6aOkYDH8P8TTyisn_jnARK5uNc2Y7udCGFnKDbMrS5pp34p3j6XclqFKlaj9IsRH1PG3Xe1iao2zTY6i2-_OT-VtYpUb9P9-ejHB2GoRlrL1gcyHw1As98h3Sxx53Y_U8uGQ_A-GV7tOplExiYQ_T47TTJNANQaINC3h1UrxX2Oh5BgPvcYJ6J5T7x6_bS1g_T3-xSWlF--z5wZdcF1MDVSdY0oKaJaZBD6D7ZVXqi-2qYESoFJwoz5cc0TXo8mRhos6WESYATYsb_KcF9A1booIkYT8yjk9quqxnXsUXwbWMuuqBAo3GLLcJGhounH0MZSUDiSDVliWljfmvKqYRa2YSUunbHfR1K02fRNthdmokdVWIF7G74XD7WPxUuPJTGk0L8hFGfiMtuJ3izow346C8YgJFKYziSD3QcjrBvS8NHXVWCR5ps5CwvVZbN8GB04=w680-h919-no
DsxP0W7a5GkWp5aRwBOo-u1lWJNj-yTMNqCe_ezczh0Ab7p81Nv20kjXlGIoCjGmuIlr4sbtyv_v8BH3zCafA7kDbA3nAp-SwmKYFtAbs7iVWANQolDrPKtpnUXsO9wuKQGaAhiAKrFqZV5VPvK-ZArvhZB1rF6ueiO5N6_yOkZcACII101y42-LrmzqhGnFFRSz6ipoISYIbzVNRjjVQKdr_YDTpzR2SWKDk8f1YI1kTpCF-pg1qzNlP4bbwJDO5LnSHt3BkcSahl1Q3t8U3wGR8Ub2yqmGWt5X_JU8WECXt62DndxWrsQDcr_4k7k0qznKF6bYlkegfOmwJf-1pCXBvFgrREeATiyz7uzDdo_NS3o3QOGyKDLAVRhgf0BANKy3b72F5aVsDPRA8-rKELDXZnzMq59j06s1U-Mwyp5QIim9g_pU1NWcSuefU_H_sGjtVwSRVmf7i52GUiCvPRhDP1LjD0YdviRR_UodSi1P3p4kOT-rUg_jH2eFk67kYKxuXzvZir4HtJE9Ye1v7k3A7dCw_wnifOgFZ2gJBct62ADtk49QGI6ZD5vVhkTg8bNa2CQfb_tFZLWM6lPmEz2ZSHMdH8dEDiK1LMxxIGcsLVB-=w680-h919-no

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why?

Most tailors charge way too much for fabrics, especially those on exotic countries as seems the case.

On Naples ( that is more or less like the 1950s) still are shirt fabric shops and suit fabric shops where clients get better prices
than the tailor on the next corner ordering those same references to the factory. Curious, specially on sales for some ones.

Last edited:

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you know nothing about fabric and mills it is a bad idea to buy on your own. Ask your tailor for recommendations. Any decent tailor worth your money should be able to help you; avoid using them if they cannot.

Also if you have zero time to do at least a little research on your own, should you expect much effort on the part of others to collate the information for you?
In any case you have not given specific price ranges, temperature range, and guidance on 'formality' for any advice to be useful.
Carlo Barbera, my favorite, now property of Kiton. ( do not want to spam, because I help the factory sometimes)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads