• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

List of Bare Necessities

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I favor most of my other SC over my navy blazer because I think they are better in most of the situations where I can't wear a suit, but I understand that we're talking about people who do have, or want to have, a large collection of sport coats. For them, and especially for this list, I think the blazer is best if only because the original list specified 2 white shirts. Since then the shirts have been relaxed and pale blue has been allowed, but I would not want the unsub to be out there on my advice wearing an outstanding white shirt with a lovely brown SC. :shudder:

I haven't yet worked out whether the whole wardrobe is more versatile (by being more interchangeable) with two white shirts than with one white one blue, but I suspect it might.

6) (i'm not well versed in this since I'm not religious, but for those who are...) formal religious events for which a tie might be overkill
I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of right now...for some of these a suit might be ok. for others a tie might be too much. and when there is no tie, a blazer is much better than a suit. For others, there will be people there in shirt sleeves, but they are decidedly poorly dressed.

I am religious, and I can't think of a formal religious event where a tie would be overkill. At least not one where a jacket would be expected. In my experience, either the tie (and even suit) are perfectly appropriate, or khakis and a button down are fine. Maybe this comes from living mostly in the southeast and the midwest.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another one - and this is field-specific - but as an academic, when giving talks either as a part of a conference or when visiting another university, odd jacket with no tie is common. Suit and tie would definitely be too much. No jacket is ok and accepted (hell, it's academia, t-shirt is accepted). But odd jacket is clearly better.

HughJ

Reaction score

In fact, most people IRL don't even get the suit-coat distinction and upon seeing the above would simply say - "nice suit".

I agree that many people would not be able to differentiate, but would you wear a blazer or an odd jacket to a wedding? Or on the other side of the coin, a suit to dinner? I couldn't get by without at least one of each....and I'd hate to have so few.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I agree that many people would not be able to differentiate, but would you wear a blazer or an odd jacket to a wedding? Or on the other side of the coin, a suit to dinner? I couldn't get by without at least one of each....and I'd hate to have so few.

And job interviews are the main one. If you're interviewing with people that are seeing 10 candidates that day, and you're the only one not wearing a suit, it stands out, and in not a good way.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do the odd jacket/blazer (navy jacket with non-metal buttons most commonly) quite frequently for dinner at a nice place with my wife. A suit would be too much almost everywhere, but the jacket adds a nice touch.

In fact I'm going to the opera this Sunday so...I'll let you know how well turned out the crowd is!

I was at the Kennedy Center for Don Giovanni a few weekends back. The majority of men were wearing a suit, quite a number had tuxedos.

Lots of really, really ugly ties though.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lots of shiny loud print designs?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lots of shiny loud print designs?

The sort of geometric print rejects from the 1990s you find swarming the tie racks at Goodwills across the nation.

I was wearing a purple tie with gold pindots from Paul Stuart :fistbump:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I was at the Kennedy Center for Don Giovanni a few weekends back. The majority of men were wearing a suit, quite a number had tuxedos.
Lots of really, really ugly ties though.

This was for an evening performance, I assume? Was it the opening? I'm curious.

I went to Anna Bolena last Thursday and it was more odd jackets than suits, I think. I was definitely the only one in anything resembling evening wear.

Side note but since I'm going to see it and curious, did you enjoy the performance?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The sort of geometric print rejects from the 1990s you find swarming the tie racks at Goodwills across the nation.
I was wearing a purple tie with gold pindots from Paul Stuart :fistbump:

:fu:

:fonz:

I went to Anna Bolena last Thursday and it was more odd jackets than suits, I think. I was definitely the only one in anything resembling evening wear.
Side note but since I'm going to see it and curious, did you enjoy the performance?

ffs, what is wrong with you two?

you both live near me, why have you never invited me?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The first performance was Thursday, I went to the Saturday show (so the first weekend showing).

Never been to an opera before, but I enjoyed it overall. Three hours is a long time to sit still though, and I had some old shrew behind me get after me for leaning forward.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Never been to an opera before, but I enjoyed it overall. Three hours is a long time to sit still though, and I had some old shrew behind me get after me for leaning forward.

Agree. I usually enjoy it but wish it were 45 min shorter. Too bad about the shrew.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not to say that a navy blazer isn't useful, but, as someone who works in a casual environment and does have some limited occasion to dress up, I'm confounded by why people constantly propel the navy blazer as an essential.
Black or brown or grey seems more useful to me.

Does. not. compute.

are you cereal? navy SC with jeans, WIN. navy SC with khakis, WIN. navy SC with ivory trou, WIN. navy SC with gray flannel, WIN.

No, I think he's just from the streetwear side.

I cite myself as the authority here. :nodding:

Navy blue:
1zejq80.jpg

Mid blue:
2lnz9jc.jpg

http://www.styleforum.net/t/317329/jrds-guide-to-coherent-sportcoat-combinations/0_30

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of those are not navy blazers though, they are odd jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads