1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

List of Bare Necessities

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Oct 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Absolutely. Gotta have one suit. For those that are saying beyond that, no odd jacket is required (not that the suit jacket can be worn as an odd jacket, but instead that if a suit is not required, then no jacket need be considered), what are you wearing in the following situations?

1) "business casual" networking event
    2) weekend theater or opera performance
    3) going out to dinner at a nice restaurant with someone you want to impress, or at least look nice for
    4) a classy holiday or dinner party
    5) graduations
    6) (i'm not well versed in this since I'm not religious, but for those who are...) formal religious events for which a tie might be overkill

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of right now...for some of these a suit might be ok. for others a tie might be too much. and when there is no tie, a blazer is much better than a suit. For others, there will be people there in shirt sleeves, but they are decidedly poorly dressed.

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

unbel, my bro, i do agree with your end result, that a person should be equipped with both a suit and a SC. as there will surely be occasions where the majority of people will need one, and the other would not really be quite right. you have even given some good examples.

but for goodness sake man, please stop mentioning, going to the "weekend theater or opera performance."

almost no one does that anymore, besides harvey birdman. i certainly havent. nor do i plan on it. people go to the movies, and they wear jeans. and i dont think in this day and age, one even needs to dress up to see a broadway play, let alone off broadway.

when you use that example, it makes people think you are not in touch, and it dilutes and lessens the impact of your over-all point, which i think is good.

no haet, i still love you. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. unbelragazzo

Nobody goes to the theater or opera on the weekend? I've been and the seats weren't empty...I'm not saying everyone will face each one of these situations...I'm saying, there are situations that exist, that you could find yourself in (hot girl wants to go to the theater with you on Saturday...you're going to say no? Or you're going to wear a button down with no jacket like a chump?). I'm trying to enumerate as many as possible, so that people will see there is a decent change they will face one of them. As for people thinking I'm not "in touch", I'm not a politician and I'm not running for office so...:fence:

4. unbelragazzo

In fact I'm going to the opera this Sunday so...I'll let you know how well turned out the crowd is!

5. in stitches

you are merely seeing holograms in the seats to make you feel like you are not,

A.) a huge loser

B.) over 73 years old

C.) a woman

as to being out of touch, that was just a joak betwix friends. ;)

also, i need to add a serious point so my post is not deleted. see what i did there.

its likely the same people over and over again. a very small segment of society.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  6. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Personally I favor most of my other SC over my navy blazer because I think they are better in most of the situations where I can't wear a suit, but I understand that we're talking about people who do have, or want to have, a large collection of sport coats. For them, and especially for this list, I think the blazer is best if only because the original list specified 2 white shirts. Since then the shirts have been relaxed and pale blue has been allowed, but I would not want the unsub to be out there on my advice wearing an outstanding white shirt with a lovely brown SC. :shudder:

I haven't yet worked out whether the whole wardrobe is more versatile (by being more interchangeable) with two white shirts than with one white one blue, but I suspect it might.

I am religious, and I can't think of a formal religious event where a tie would be overkill. At least not one where a jacket would be expected. In my experience, either the tie (and even suit) are perfectly appropriate, or khakis and a button down are fine. Maybe this comes from living mostly in the southeast and the midwest.

7. unbelragazzo

Another one - and this is field-specific - but as an academic, when giving talks either as a part of a conference or when visiting another university, odd jacket with no tie is common. Suit and tie would definitely be too much. No jacket is ok and accepted (hell, it's academia, t-shirt is accepted). But odd jacket is clearly better.

8. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

I agree that many people would not be able to differentiate, but would you wear a blazer or an odd jacket to a wedding? Or on the other side of the coin, a suit to dinner? I couldn't get by without at least one of each....and I'd hate to have so few.

9. unbelragazzo

And job interviews are the main one. If you're interviewing with people that are seeing 10 candidates that day, and you're the only one not wearing a suit, it stands out, and in not a good way.

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I do the odd jacket/blazer (navy jacket with non-metal buttons most commonly) quite frequently for dinner at a nice place with my wife. A suit would be too much almost everywhere, but the jacket adds a nice touch.

I was at the Kennedy Center for Don Giovanni a few weekends back. The majority of men were wearing a suit, quite a number had tuxedos.

Lots of really, really ugly ties though.

11. in stitches

lots of shiny loud print designs?

12. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The sort of geometric print rejects from the 1990s you find swarming the tie racks at Goodwills across the nation.

I was wearing a purple tie with gold pindots from Paul Stuart :fistbump:

13. unbelragazzo

This was for an evening performance, I assume? Was it the opening? I'm curious.

I went to Anna Bolena last Thursday and it was more odd jackets than suits, I think. I was definitely the only one in anything resembling evening wear.

Side note but since I'm going to see it and curious, did you enjoy the performance?

14. in stitches

:fu:

:fonz:

ffs, what is wrong with you two?

you both live near me, why have you never invited me?

15. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The first performance was Thursday, I went to the Saturday show (so the first weekend showing).

Never been to an opera before, but I enjoyed it overall. Three hours is a long time to sit still though, and I had some old shrew behind me get after me for leaning forward.

16. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Anniversary date with the wife :satisfied:

17. unbelragazzo

didn't want to make you feel like a 73-yr old loser woman! :)

18. unbelragazzo

Agree. I usually enjoy it but wish it were 45 min shorter. Too bad about the shrew.

19. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Does. not. compute.

No, I think he's just from the streetwear side.

I cite myself as the authority here. :nodding:

Navy blue:
    [​IMG]

Mid blue:
    [​IMG]

http://www.styleforum.net/t/317329/jrds-guide-to-coherent-sportcoat-combinations/0_30

1 person likes this.
  20. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Most of those are not navy blazers though, they are odd jackets.