1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Liquor on a college budget

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lemmywinks, Aug 17, 2012.

1. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

19 year old here who found an ID of a guy that looks like him, so for the first time in my life I'm able to buy alcohol that I want, and not shitty plastic handles that my friend decided to buy. My first purchase with my ID was a fifth of Evan Williams, and although nothing amazing, I liked it a lot more than the typical Jack Daniels. I've been drinking the Evan Williams neat, on the rocks, with ginger ale, and I've been making Whiskey Sours, and I'm enjoying alcohol a lot more than pouring shots down my throat for the sake of getting drunk.

What are some good value liquors that you would recommend to a college student? I've grown to like Bourbon and I'm planning on picking up a fifth of Old Grand Dad once I finish this fifth of Evan Williams.

Also... since Vodka seems to be the most common liquor in college (at least in my experience), what brand do you recommend on a budget?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

When I was 19, I once walked into a bar (nobody seemed the wiser, I guess I have looked older than my age for awhile) - guy on the stool next to me started chatting with me, said I looked a little down in the dumps. I said "yeah, I just broke up my girlfriend" Guy bought me a Budweiser. We talked some more and he eventually asked how old I was, and said "19" - he took the beer back and said "get the fuck out of here."

1 person likes this.
  3. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Buffalo Trace is good for the money. Evan Williams Single Barrel is very good in the mid-$20s, same with Eagle Rare. Bulleit Rye is quite tasty and inexpensive (I don't like the bourbon so much, but some do).

Tito's would be a common recommendation.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Yeah, Tito's is a great rec for good vodka that is not expensive. Wiser's Deluxe for Canadian whisky can't be beat for price and taste. Citadel gin has me currently impressed and it's mid-market.

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Citadel = Citadelle?

My crappy county liquor store actually has that, might have to give it a try. About time to branch out from Hendricks. Citadelle looks to not have a real strong juniper profile, which is good for me.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Tito's is quite good. For a sipping rum, try Plantation Barbados 5-year - it's maybe $18 for a fifth, a handle is less than twice that - and it's quite good straight or mixed. (Thanks Cuffthis)

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I knew I had been misspelling that but was too lazy to walk over to the bar and check, lol.

Yeah, it's very good. A ton of aromas and flavourful but not overdone on the tongue. Makes a really killer 4:1 Noilly Pratt martini. Highly recommend a try.

8. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Who drinks liquor in college? Buy cheap beer instead.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

10. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Dubra.

Oh. You said you didn't want the cheap plastic handles...

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

Gordons gin.

Edit: never mind forgot in the states that comes in plastic bottles.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  12. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    Everclear. And a Bic.

13. coop86

coop86 Senior member

Good Value liquor

Vodka - Svedka
    Bourbon - Benchmark (made by buffalo trace)

14. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I mean I guess not all plastic handle liquor is bad. If there is something worth drinking that you would still drink even if you weren't a college student, feel free to recommend it.

Any suggestions for gin? Gonna be spending a couple of days with just me and a lady friend in Tahoe :)slayer:), and she said her favorite drink is a gin and tonic.

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

Gordon's, Beefeater, Tanqueray would be the first three that come to (my) mind.

16. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

As a German I have to say there are certain differences to an American mindset which I find very strange.
    While, according to my knowledge, you are allowed to drive a car at the age of 16 in the US, you are only allowed to do so in Germany at the age of 18.
    Then again you are allowed to do so as fast as you want and your car is able to at a lot of unlimited stretches of the Autobahn, while at the same time speeding on an highway is supposed a very aggressive act of road terror which is punished savagely by the cops.
    In Germany very little civilian people own a weapon, yet again every single US family I got in touch with had at least one if not a whole bunch of weapons at their house.
    Kids are trained to use them at a young age and go on hunt even when still underage.
    The gun appreciation thread shows there are even quite a lot of those who carry their handgun where ever they go on a day to day basis.
    Last but not least in Germany you are allowed to buy and drink beer, wine and other low volume percent alcohol at 16, and to drink what ever liquor you wish at 18.
    In the US in some/most states you are not allowed to drink beer till the age of 21.

In my opinion all those actions should be handled with the same care because they can seriously hurt yourself or others.
    Also I sure know the culutural and historical background some of the more or less strict regulations come from at one place or the other.
    Yet again as long as we talk privacy, no matter if it's driving a car on family property, going on hunt on a piece of your own land or if it's having a drink at your house, I think we should discuss maturity rather than age.
    That's at least what I understand of freedom.
    There will be those rare people who will be responsable enough at age 14, and there will be those mouthbreathers and inbred who will never be in their entire life, no matter their age.

lemmywinks seems to be fine, so here are my recommendations.
    Not sure though they are all available at the US market:
    Bourbon - Maker's Mark Kentucky Straight Bourbon, makes a great Whisky Sour.
    Gin - Beefeater London Dry Gin, imo great value for price, a lot better than Gordon's and even able to compete with the more expensive Tanqueray.
    Jamaica Rum - Appleton V/X, nice entry level rum, if you are willing to spend a little more the Appleton Estate Extra is a nice upgrade.
    Vodka - Absolut, Finlandia or Skyy but honestly, if you want to learn more about spirits, I'd step away from Vodka, it's more or less the same, neutral alcohol + watter, no matter which mid class product you buy.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  17. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

fwiw i can drink a lot now, but at 19 i was still getting my legs with alcohol and there were the expected mishaps and episodes. alcohol is just one of those things you get used to over
    time; i'd be more worried if lemmywinks was treating a home bar as if it were a serious thing.

18. b1os

b1os Senior member

FYI, to be more precise, non-distilled alcohol is allowed to be sold to 16+-year-olds. Any kind of distilled alcohol is 18+. In Germany.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  19. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I usually have a nicer beer every other night with my dinner depending on whether or not my dinner is 'worth it.' I usually get pretty drunk once a week, and hardly ever go drinking on back to back nights. I feel I'm a very responsible drinker for my age. I just want to have a nicer, more interesting experience with drinking, which is why I want to branch out to some spirits/liquors. I still love the hops.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I think someone already gave you advice on this. He's pretty into cocktails so he might be worth listening to.