1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Linjer, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

We should have that covered (as mentioned in the tracking email) - if not drop us a line. Did you order a bundle or a briefcase? Feel free to drop me a line at [email protected]

Cheers,

Roman

2. venessian

venessian Distinguished Member

Hello.
    Yes. I am in the US.
    No. Two boxes (taped together to form a single box): no customs, duties, taxes, etc. Everything was taken care of by Linjer upon shipment.

My first take (just out of the box) is:
    The bags are great; really equal to/beyond all my expectations.
    The colors are beautiful (I bought cognac and navy, and both are fantastic).
    The quality (sewing, etc.) looks really outstanding; very tight and consistent.
    The cloth storage sacks are a nice touch, and look sturdy enough for the purpose.
    The little “thank you” notes are appreciated.
    The shipping boxes are nice, and look/feel sturdy.

I am very pleased. My compliments to Roman and Jenn.

I am confident that the handle mark impressions mentioned by some will be quickly rectified by Linjer.

3. Delands

Delands Active Member

Roman, I have a question regarding the above. I just received my package from UPS (I'm in Belgium) and had to pay customs taxes (around €42). Is this normal or are the customs and duties only covered for the US?

I'm excited to open the package once I get home tonight!

4. jorijori

jorijori Well-Known Member

Howdy gents...

I got my package too from HK to S'pore and it is being shipped to Jakarta via my own carrier (to avoid heavy import duty if shipped direct).

For the handle mark, perhaps in the future, you can wrap the handles with foam or bubble wrap to eliminate/reduce the mark or tie the handles together with a tape so they stay in upright position, just my 2 cents...

Can't wait to get my box soon after almost 5 months...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015

5. jorijori

jorijori Well-Known Member

From my experience with car leather seats & steering wheel. To remove dirt, shine/burnish from leather the MOST effective substance is paint thinner (turpentine).

Apply with dry cloth and just rub against the leather until the surface turns matte. I've done it many times with my old steering wheel and it works everytime and so far no visilble damage found.

So this may work to remove those handle mark as it appears to me like shine/burnish from rubbing.

Disclaimer: try it at your own risk.

6. cbfn

cbfn Distinguished Member

Do not try that.

7. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Yeah, I agree. I think going at your bag with paint thinner is a really bad idea. It's not really a stain, but an indentation, so I don't really know what paint thinner would do other than risk ruining/staining the entire front of your bag.

I've had some bags get indentations from being up against a chair or the handles while in storage. Typically I'll just give it a very thorough moisturizing with Collonil stuff and their spray protector, or some other good leather cream. I then just use the bag and typically with use the crease/indentation will work itself out in a week or two.

Keep in mind, though, that vegetable tanned or bridle-type leather isn't completely mark/scuff/indentation proof. It won't show as much as box calf, but again, it 's not a leather completely impervious to wear or scratches.

8. Lceaucx

Lceaucx Member

I got a shipping notice from Linjer for a package shipped through Toll a few days ago

Been checking the tracking site with the shipping number, but like you its been stuck at 'documentation prepared' and 'booking arranged' in Hongkong since 1 April and no movement since!

But i've been quite pleased with the black briefcase I've received already so in no dire hurry to get the portfolio :)

9. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Glad to see more people sharing thoughts about their bags in the thread.

10. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad you are happy with the products. Means a lot to us coming from one of our earliest backers (having been one of those waiting the longest!)

Hi there,

That is for the US only, 30% of our orders are in the US, that's why we bulk shipped it and covered duties. More information can be found here under the "Please note" section.
    €42 sounds higher than we estimated. Please message me at [email protected] - I want to double check your case if possible.

We did actually wrap them up in bubble wrap (between the handles and the briefcase - that's why the marks are a bit odd. We replicated the pressure at home, and it seems FedEx put these parcels at the bottom of a piano or something. Pretty crazy. Definitely filing a complaint with them.

Please do not try this. That will ruin the leather beyond repair.
    Please see my post on how to go about the problem, it worked for us. If not please message me at [email protected] and we'll take care of you.

Correct. Overtime you are bound to scuff your leather bag at one point - and you'll need to regularly condition it because its vegetable tanned. Moisturizing it thoroughly should make it fade.

=) Message me at [email protected] - and I'll see what we can do to expedite it!
    Superglad to hear, so awesome that you liked our briefcase. Loved the picture you shared earlier.

Agreed[​IMG] Happy that people are pleased with the products. Really unfortunate with the handle marks but working to get them sorted out individually. (Four cases to date out of around 500+ parcels delivered, and one bag with a defect). We'll figure out a way to rectify it for people affected, pretty optimistic the conditioner will work for most of the handle mark cases.

UPDATE: Just got the prototype for our weekender, I'll post pictures tomorrow!

11. Delands

Delands Active Member

Hi Roman, no worries. I assumed to be hit by customs charges, but I just wanted to double check if you covered US only. I'll send you an email with more details.

I opened the package and the bag looks beautiful! The size is just right for my needs, even a bit on the tight side, but I still carry a 3 year old Lenovo (I should receive a newer slimmer model hopefully soon! and then the size will be perfect!).

[​IMG]

I want to congratulate Jenn and yourself again with Linjer! The products are great and so is your customer service. I look forward to seeing more and hopefully buying more in the future!

12. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

Ah I see.Please do send me an email, I want to hear about your experience with customs=)

Wohoaa, great picture. Thank you. I am so glad you like it. I hear you on the size, I think 6-12 months from now most professionals using a Lenovo will upgrade to a slimmer model.

Glad you like the product, thank you again for the kind words, means a lot to us! We wouldn't have gotten here without you. Hopefully we can get to a stage where both Jenn and I can work on it full-time.

Cheers,

Roman

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

I received my navy soft briefcase today:

[​IMG]

The construction looks great to my amateur eye. The note and extra gift of a small change purse (for early sign up?) were a nice touch.

Unfortunately, it appears that my bag has the aforementioned handle marks as well:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how it could have happened, as the handles were carefully wrapped in tissue paper and the shipment box is rigid and does not appear to be dented. Maybe there is a chemical reaction between the paper and the outer layer of the leather? Ultimately, it's not a huge deal to me and I'm going to follow the treatment steps Roman set forth above.

14. venessian

venessian Distinguished Member

1) First: Thank you @Hobbs. I think that is the first thumbs-up I have received for a post on SF. I truly appreciate it.

2) Please: DO NOT USE TURPENTINE on these bags (as others have already mentioned).

3) Roman: when will the Collonil products be available to us?

4) It's nice to see customer photos of the bags.

5) I had plans to post photos of my bags today as well. Unfortunately, while yesterday it rained beautiful Linger bags here, today in Los Angeles it is raining cats, dogs, mice, assorted other Noah's Ark escapees, crazy drivers, tree leaves and small branches, dog treats, more dog treats, and, most unfortunately, no Linjer bags but lots and lots of raindrops. Nonetheless, the rain is as welcome here as the Linjer boxes were (since both events occur about twice a year at most),

Thank you! The wait was well worth it! I look forward to seeing the weekender.

15. Jsocol

Jsocol Active Member

Got mine today. Very nice bag. Unfortunately the handle marks are quite prominent on both sides. Hope this goes away. Honestly, I would never have bought a bag with this kind of defect.[​IMG]