1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Linjer, Sep 7, 2014.

1. trum01

trum01 Senior Member

I agree with everyone on the navy with silver hardware. Weekender mockup looks good.

Jenn and Roman - Do you also have a leather rucksack / backpack in your sights? Brands like Troubadour have really great looking designs ... but USD 1800 is too rich.

2. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

I'll see if I can upload some pictures tomorrow in natural sunlight.

Noted. I'm glad we checked in with you guys first.

Would you go for the navy or the chestnut weekender? We are wondering if the navy is worth adding, maybe as a stretch goal if we hit $75,000.

We have a backpack for women in the works. There is a 50% chance we'll launch it as a part of the women's campaign.
    We haven't looked into making a leather backpack for men yet.

Thanks for chiming in guys!

Jenn & Roman

3. fazalmajid

fazalmajid Senior Member

• I'd consider the green weekender, but the milled leather gives me pause. I understand the argument against using flat leather, but a saffiano style would be better for this use case.
    • The hardware for navy and green definitely needs to be silver without any yellow tone to it (so no nickel, for instance). I prefer polished, but satin can work as well.
    • What organizational features does it have inside (pockets, etc.)? Also, there doesn't seem to be an easy-access outside pocket for travel documents, etc.
    • I'd recommend getting rid of the belt-dohickey on the sides and making the zipper longer, so the bag opens wide and is easier to load.
    • Where are the loops to attach the shoulder belt?
    • One feature I'd love is a side pocket to put shoes so they dont' share the main compartment, like this one by Ghurka.

4. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

I think we are 90% set on killing the green by now. We can't afford to spread our inventory too thin if we don't see enough demand.

I'm glad you mentioned Ghurka.

The weekender they sell is a good example of where I personally think a smooth article is applied poorly.
    A) It's prone to wrinkle and hence not look great with usage
    B) The smooth article increases the weight of the bag (that weekender in particular weighs a ton, I think there's a reason they don't state in on their website[​IMG])

We're not big fans of saffiano. It doesn't feel like leather. Our philosophy is to use natural looking leather. We want to make a weekender that develops a patina and looks richer with time, unfortunately you can't do that with saffiano.

We are pretty close to killing the navy option right now too ha ha - but if we go with it, we'll try adding the silver option. Not sure if we can afford carrying two colors at this point in time, the leather is crazy expensive and the minim order requirements are high.

There will be a detachable pocket on the inside (like a small compartment). We opted for not having an outside pocket as we don't see it adding enough function to justify clouding the minimalist design.

They are there to compress the bag when it is not filled up. We might move them lower down though. We'll test the prototype once we get it and see how it is to use. Thanks for pointing it out. I love your attention to details.

On the half circles at the side of the bag. It works well, we're not worried about that part of the design.

That's a great design feature. Maybe for a future design, let's see! Thanks for sharing and chiming in!

5. Biggen

Biggen Senior Member

I would be very disappointed if you guys decided to drop the green leather for the weekender. Been wanting one for quite a while and feel that it would be a really good looking and unique bag.

6. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

We might do a limited run in the future for a 1.5x premium - for SF Members only.
    But for now we have to follow the pareto principle (we honestly think 80% of the sales will come from the chestnut).

What do you think of the chestnut ? Not something you are interested in?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I think chestnut would look great and appeals to me, but i'd think a weekender in mocha would sell in higher numbers.

8. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

It's funny. I was just back home in Oslo a couple of weeks ago. A lot of people were carrying around mocha brown weekenders.

Complication; None of the women's stuff made out of milled leather is going to look nice in mocha. There's no way we can add mocha in milled (unless we sell $50,000 worth of weekenders alone, which I think is a bit of a stretch, that's a 100+ units).

Btw these are some of the colors we might be adding for the women's collection (a mix of smooth and milled):

[​IMG]

We would use a darker green for the weekender. The above picture doesn't include the chestnut that we have in the works

Cheers,

Roman

9. patliean1

patliean1 Distinguished Member

So the weekenders will be around $500 you say?

10. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

We want it to be <$679, ideally $649 retail.
    During our pre-orders we might go as low as $449 for secret launch. Really depends on the economics, this thing is going to be expensive to ship around the globe.

EDIT: Note: Number might change as we still don't know our final hardware and manufacturing cost.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

11. Biggen

Biggen Senior Member

I'm sure the chestnut will look nice but it won't create the same urgency to buy as a green one.

12. 68Bullitt

68Bullitt Well-Known Member

The dark green leather sample is more of what I had in mind. It looks very similar to the shade that is used in Frank Clegg's bags.

If a limited run is offered in the future, then that's where I will place my money.

13. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Green does look great. I'd make it the stretch goal over Navy. Keep chestnut the main one. :)

14. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

Noted. We'll see what we can do.

Interesting. We'll make a decision by the end of next month. Really curious to see if other SF members speak up

Yeah, chestnut will stay the no.1 regardless. You guys are the only once who know that we might be adding more colors. We would like to keep it that way until we've made up our minds.

15. 68Bullitt

68Bullitt Well-Known Member

I apologize if I overlooked this, but did you say when you will have a prototype in hand? I'm curious to see how the milled leather you discussed earlier behaves.