1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Linjer, Sep 7, 2014.

1. patliean1

patliean1 Distinguished Member

Chestnut weekender for sure.

2. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior Member

I want the navy one, but probably wont purchase if the hardware doesn't match my other bags. Would drive me nuts.

3. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

Thank you for chiming in. The reason we are considering the anitque brass for the navy is because the women's collection will have a lot of navy milled items with antique brass hardware. We are prototyping both right now, we'll actually make a decision based on the feedback from this forum.

Right now though, it seems everyone wants the chestnut (?)

Great suggestion. We are actually using brushed rhodium (or something very close to it) for a lot of the women's products.
    We might look into it for the weekender. Not sure if it will work with such a big item, hard to tell as we don't have a prototype yet. We'll keep you posted!

Is it a deal breaker for you?

4. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

Makes sense. As mentioned above, we might add a version with the same hardware as the briefcase / tote. Thanks for chiming in!

Cheers,

Jenn and Roman

5. venessian

venessian Distinguished Member

Nice new product!

Caveat: I'm quite biased: I can't stand 2 things in high-quality bags: "milled leather" in general and gold hardware except on certain lighter brown colors (cognac, chestnut, London tan, etc.), so these comments are to be taken with this in mind. I may not represent the majority of potential buyers.

PROS:
    !) Design and sketches: look good, consistent with other Linjer products.
    2) Size: good.
    3) Colors: chestnut and navy are excellent. See below for green.
    4) Lining: excellent choice.

CONS:

1) I greatly prefer the veg-tanned, smooth (non-milled) leather, but if milled is an absolute requirement for practical/technical reasons...OK...I guess....
    However, I'm not clear on the rationale. Who cares about "collapsibility"? Is that more important than the more elegant look and more refined texture of the veg-tanned leather? In addition, I have no issue with "wrinkling" of high-quality leather; I think that patina actually imparts quality, use, and a sense of long-time devotion...the more the better! Also, does the milled leather really fit your profile?
    2) I'm not so sure of that green color for this item. I find it awkward in that size.
    3) Please: no gold, brass, etc. hardware on the navy: only silver!

MIXED:
    1) Hardware: I think silver is essential for the navy: I would not buy navy with gold, brass, etc. hardware. I think either antique brass or rhodium-plated is OK for the chestnut.. I am non-committal on the green hardware.

ADDITIONAL:
    1) To echo @hosan, will a shoulder strap be provided with these bags?

Agree 100%.

Agree 100%.

1) Are the women’s and men’s lines not different, and purposefully so? Hardware cross-over seems to be a very minor issue, in terms of aesthetics.
    2) It appears so. That is a beautiful color
    3) Please do.
    4) I would need to see a prototype or mock-up before deciding, especially since I also am most interested in the chestnut color for this model.

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Distinguished Member

This thread is seriously lacking customer "in the wild" pics. I thought those would be coming in by now...

7. 68Bullitt

68Bullitt Well-Known Member

I agree with the others who say no brass hardware on the Navy duffle. It's nice to have that consistency across the product line for those of us who have gone with the Navy already. With regards to the green leather, I wouldn't mind this for the weekender bag if it was a darker shade, say, loden or forest.

8. PASstudy

PASstudy Senior Member

Not necessarily "in the wild" but here is my cognac briefcase in the "office". Got it in January, still enjoying that great new leather smell. Would love a version that is about ~ 1/2 inch wider. My laptop is about avg size but when I need to carry any kind of paperwork, or an extra pair of scrubs, it gets tight real quick.

[​IMG]

9. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Distinguished Member

Jenn & Roman,

I noticed the black briefcase isn't part of the current indiegogo campaign. It's still offered as a product/won't be discontinued any time soon, will it? I'm going to get one, but was going to wait until the summer so it could sort of be a present to myself before the medical school semester starts in the fall

10. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

1/ The milled leather is vegetable tanned. It's actually the same leather. Milling is a term used for a process during the tanning process when the leathers are tumbled to make them softer.

The rationale is the softness - you can't use stiff leather for this design, the wrinkles would look horrible over time. It's a shame I can't find an example online, I'll try asking the tannery for it. It's funny because, we had the very same debate with our manufacturer. He strongly voted against using a smooth article.

2/ I agree. I think we'll kill it, no-one seems too excited about it here!

3/ Ha ha! We might kill the gold/brass option. Let's see what the rest of the crowd has to say[​IMG]

Yes! Same style as the soft briefcase:)

We are trying to keep the design consistent across both. Also, this product is supposed to be for both her and him (we want a section for that in the wonen's campaign). Ideally we find something that pleases both audiences:)

[​IMG] - also check our Instagram and the pictures we've been tagged in. Great source

Noted! Glad we checked in with you guys first. We'll make sure to add a silver option, in line with the navy soft briefcase.

Thanks for sharing! Great feedback, not sure if we'll add another version that's 1/2 an inch wider. We see an overall trend in the market where people's laptops are getting slimmer and slimmer. Make sure to get some Collonil leather care for your bag or similar. PM or email me at [email protected] if you need any help!

We actually sold out. I have 3 left in stock but keeping them as back up in case some of the bags in transit gets lost. We'll have a second batch coming in July.
    We might add a 10% pre-order discount to it. TBD. Right now it's selling well even back-ordered. PM or email me if you have any questions at [email protected]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

11. Hobbs

Hobbs Senior Member

I'm not a fan of the brass (like most of the posters so far it would seem). The hardware on this Valextra looks much better

[​IMG]

12. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Personally I love brass hardware. It looks great on the cognac briefcase and will look perfect on the chestnut weekender. To be honest, I always thought Linjer should have gone with it on the Mocha brief too.

If I was you guys I wouldn't care so much if the hardware matches your other items from Linjer. It could be seen as a good thing it not to if you are planning on buying the weekender if the same leather color as your briefcase. Then you don't end up looking like you bought everything in a matching luggage set.

Speaking of which, I am surprised you are not planning a weekender in mocha and black. Seems like those shades would be big sellers.

13. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Agreed. Green is a shade you really have to get right for it to work.

14. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

We almost did actually, but ended up going with silver. It turned out all-right, we're almost sold out (4 units left)

That's how we are thinking about it also. I highly doubt a lot of women would buy a weekender with silver hardware.

I think we got the shade right. It's pretty dark. We are considering killing it though (we'll have it for the women's tote most likely, maybe as a stretch goal for the weekender).

15. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

Do you have a larger swatch of the green? Would really like a green weekender but color looks a bit light on my screen.