1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Former Affiliate Vendor Threads; a Locked Forum.' started by Linjer, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Agree that a larger pocket on the outside makes sense, but not sure I would ever put an iPad in it. Not enough protection. Better off putting it inside the brief.

If we are giving suggestions for future bags, i'd love to see some slide flaps like this bag has. I'd never put a newspaper in them, but they are perfect for an umbrella on a possibly rainy day.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. fazalmajid

fazalmajid Well-Known Member

I don't think so, 1-2mm thick leather should be plenty to protect it, as long as the glass is facing inwards.

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    That bag isn't from Delvaux...

4. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good points above, Fazilmajid.

+1. As well, I don't think you can patent a bag DESIGN, so long as it doesn't infringe on a trademark. Virtually every brand has something close to the Hermes Birkin, Plume, or Victoria only with a different label and tweaks.

Delvaux didn't originate that style, too; I think they just managed to get the most publicity for it recently. Old photos from the 20's/30's/40's or some of the vintage Hermes bespoke auctions will find various bags with loops for storage. I remember Prada did one that came with an accompanying umbrella back in the 1990's.

IMHO, using it for anything but an umbrella looks better in a stylist's photograph than in reality. First, how many people even still read physical newspapers these days... or at least enough to justify having the loops? And magazines (unless very slim like Newsweek) don't roll up well. Beyond that if there is any hint of humidity/moisture OR over time as the loops gets broken in... the newspaper slides out, the magazine gets wet, the ink rubs off onto the leather and stains it, etc.

FTR, Delvaux has never impressed me that much when I saw them in person given how $$$ they were.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. jorijori

jorijori Well-Known Member

Patent design aside, I believe a lot of men would love that functional side loops, form & fuction at the same time, we have 2 suggestions here already. You can slide many things there besides newspapers, documents that need instant access, jacket, ipad, etc.

As for me, I'd slide a newspapers for just the looks, classy & stylish without looking ostentatious (like when carrying expensive bags). And I bet others will be wondering where did he get that bag.

6. Linjer

Linjer Senior member

@rach2jlc
    We definitely will be coming up with new colour variations and different styles. One baby step at a time! :) Thanks for the feedback on our website. If we have a successful Kickstarter campaign, we'll invest heavily into a proper website.

@Jr Mouse @NDND2012 @LouisXIV @taxgenius @razorweb @jorijori
    Thanks for your feedback and suggestions! We will definitely expand our assortment if we have a great Kickstarter campaign, and we'll do a poll here on Styleforum on what to add next. Stay tuned :)

@rach2jlc @cbfn @Jr Mouse @PipersSon We will post pictures (as promised) later today or tomorrow!

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i'm very intrigued by all this. somewhat late to the party but your products look like they are of high quality and that price gets you in the conversation for sure.

this has been hinted at in previous posts, but i wonder if you guys would be interested in sending one of your bags to a respected member like rach for a review? i have a feeling that you could sell out an entire run directly to the styleforums if that review was favorable. just a thought.

8. fazalmajid

In the US you can, that's the difference between design patents and utility patents. The iPhone is covered by design patents, as Samsung found to its chagrin. Of course, design patents are subject to prior art like any other.

Putting an umbrella there does seem like the most likely use in this era of post-newsprint digital media. I tend to favor full-length umbrellas when it actually rains, and a tiny folding one when it isn't, but that one would go inside the bag (I have some Tumi bags with very well-designed collapsible internal pockets for precisely such an umbrella). A full-size umbrella would put too much strain on side loops, though. small snap-button loops at the top might make more sense as in this Ghurka bag:
    [​IMG]

9. Linjer

Linjer Senior member

As promised, more photos=). We just received our first soft briefcase in navy blue, you are the first to see it. We love this color and hope to reach our stretch goal so that it can become a part of the collection!

More pictures to follow as promised @rach2jlc @Jr Mouse

• @cbfn - the black portfolio in natural sunlight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@PipersSon Our soft briefcase in navy color. We will be able to introduce this color if we raise $ 100 000 (TBC). Adding @jorijori

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. fazalmajid

Looks good. Could you share photos of the inside as well?

11. Linjer

Linjer Senior member

@fazalmajid Thank you for the kind words and for taking interest in Linjer! Lots of valuable feedback.

In regards to photos of the inside: we will upload photos over the coming days

In regards to the pocket:
    We actually designed the pocket to hold our cellphone, or passport when travelling, it's just an easy pocket to access when your hands are occupied e.g opening a door or dragging your heavy Rimowa around with you at the airport. It's a function I(Roman) could not live without after having used the bag for 1+ year.

12. Hobbs

Hobbs Senior member

The navy looks great. Will you ship to Europe?

13. stevent

stevent Senior member

Soft brief looks really good

Any chance of a dark racing green option added if kickstarter is super successful?

Something like this color:
    [​IMG]

14. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

• Thank you! I will probably go for the soft briefcase instead as I need a little more room. But, as I understand, they are made form the same leather, which was what I wanted to look at in the pictures. However, a dark racing green portfolio later would be awesome. Dark racing green leather >>>>>>> Navy.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  15. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

This bag is by RO bags, who has since sold her company to someone in Hong Kong, I think.

16. jorijori

jorijori Well-Known Member

So did RO copy Delvaux design? From that picture I was trying to make out what the embossed letters are, look like "RO", definitely not "1829".

17. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I think that navy briefcase is the best product you've shown so far

1 person likes this.
  18. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1. Navy, like gray, is one of those wonderful colors for a bag that go with everything. BUT, looking objectively, I think it's smart they are starting with black/brown just in terms of marketability.

I sort of disagree with the member above who mentioned green. It looks great in pictures and is one of those colors I always think I'm going to love... but then when I've had green stuff (LV's now-discontinued taiga in Epiciea, for example) I always found it really hard to match or look right for my daily wear.

19. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I have no idea, sorry.

20. Linjer

Linjer Senior member

@Hobbs Yes, we will ship worldwide! Hope to get you as an early backer

@stevent Great idea! It will be very hard for us to add this color at this point in time but we'll keep it in mind for the future. If we raise 200 000 USD (530 bags sold) we might be able to add another color, but that's a big maybe. Please help back us with the black, cognac, dark brown or navy in mind. Without your pledge we won't be able to even kick off the core collection=(

@cbfn Excellent, so happy that we are getting you on as a backer! It is in the same leather. Smooth article, full grain vegetable tanned. I hope you will love the leather as much as we do. It's feels really natural and smells sweet.

@HRoi - Glad you like it. It's a killer color, we love it too. Unfortunately it's not as commercially viable as the black, hence we decided to make it a stretch goal. Really hope to reach $100 000 USD in sales, so that we can add this color to the collection.

@rach2jlc You are spot on, when talking to the average "non-styleforum" member, they all opt in for the black. They all desire the cognac, but they don't have the confidence or the wardrobe to pull it off.

Again, thank you guys for taking so much interest, this means the world to us!

Can't believe we are just 15 days away from launch! It's only with your guys support that we can make this dream come true!

One key element will be to get as many backers as possible on the first day to gain momentum, that's the only way we'll get press coverage, support from other backers[with less insight] and boosted on the Kickstarter homepage! Please sign up to our newsletter here and help spread the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.