Linen trousers - can linen be dressy?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LucasFilms, May 9, 2015.

1. LucasFilms

LucasFilms Senior member

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing more linen trousers for this summer. All the ones I own are very informal, and I am wondering if linen can be a bit dressier to combine with a cotton sport coat and nice shoes..

I would appreciate if you could advise on brands of dressier linen trousers and maybe post some picture of a look with linen trousers with a cotton shirt or a sport coat that are more formal..

Kind regards and thanks in advance!

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Definitely. If you want trousers that fall straighter and hold a firm crease, you may want to focus on a heavier Irish linen than a lighter italian linen.

4. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Another "yes, absolutely." Another brand, though likely not as nice as the NMWA pictured above, is Brooks Brothers. My "natural" colored in the Madison cut looks great (I hope) with my solid navy linen blend sport coat.

Neither they nor the ones pictured should be confused with the super casual drawstring waist, rolled up at the ankles, family picture on the beach postcard look. NTTAWWT.

5. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

Which type of shoes go best with linen trousers, especially the more casual types? Espadrilles?

6. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Depends on how dressy or otherwise the trousers are. I would think espadrilles would be fine with the drawstring-waist style mentioned above. I wear white bucks with my lighter-colored linens and brown or tan leather shoes with anything else.

7. Salad

Salad Senior member

I really like that top pair of linen pants.
    What about pairing w/ SCs? Would you have to wear linen pants w/ a jacket of similar texture? I think even a light weight worsted would look weird w/ linen pants. We often see a hopsack or linen SC w/ lighter weight wool pants. Does it work the other way around?

8. unbelragazzo

Sure. Or wool blends with silk, linen, or hemp.

9. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

They can. Just get good linen, and not too obviously wrinkly, seersuckler like. And if you have an occassion, iron them. Will look nice and crisp.

10. unbelragazzo

For about 5 minutes.

11. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

50. And sometimes that's all you need.

12. unbelragazzo

I love linen trousers. But I wouldn't recommend them to someone that doesn't like wrinkles.

13. LucasFilms

LucasFilms Senior member

Interesting. Will have a look at that; which are good brands for Irish linen?. Probably in Spain and Italy linen tends to be lighter due to the very high summer temperatures. Last year I bought a thicker pair of linen trousers from Adolfo Domínguez but never ironed them.. will try that too. It is true that because the linen is thicker they fall more straight and crease a bit less, but obviously crease, as this is linen we are talking about.

This thread was inspired by not knowing what to choose today, with the mercury going up to 30 degrees celsius. I wanted to wear a very well ironed and colourful striped cotton shirt and also the linen trousers but they didnt seem to match at all. The shirt is in this fashion, a Mirto multistriped shirt:

http://www.mirtoshop.es/shop/ficha.asp?id=207391

Today I wore a linen white shirt with cotton pants and that is fine, but for some reason it seems the opposite, a well ironed cotton shirt and linen pants are harder to combine.. thats my feeling..

Last edited: May 9, 2015

14. LucasFilms

LucasFilms Senior member

That's a pretty high price for trousers. I think there might be something similar in Spain for like EUR 40 at the end of sales. Dont really get an idea of how those pants fall without seeing them on a model.