Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Linen summer suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Qasimkhan, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Qasimkhan

Qasimkhan Well-Known Member

I'm planning to get a custom-made linen summer suit, as I live in a hot climate that emphasizes dressing well.

Any suggestions on the quality of linen to buy? How is linen quality measured? Should I get a blend to reduce wrinkling?

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Qasimkhan,

I don't know the exact answers to your questions, but I noticed your post has remained unanswered and I hate when that happens to mine, so I'll take a stab at it and hopefully bump it up so someone 'in the know' can answer it.

First off, I love the look of a summer linen suit. I am young and am not at an age where I wear a suit (I am a student), but we have hot summers where I live (85-100 degrees is normal) so I would love to pick up a linen suit when I am older.

As far as the quality of linen, I have noticed that in more expensive garments (not necessarily suits, but in linen shirts and pants), the linen is finer and does not have as coarse of a texture as less-expensive linen clothing. The texture is more even and there is an evenly distributed natural shine. Since you stated that you live in a hot climate, make sure you get very minimal lining on the suit (I know this is obvious but I just wanted to state it again). One of the things I love most about linen is that it breathes so well and keeps one cool on the hottest of days.

I have heard that cotton/linen blends reduce wrinkling. However, most everyone knows that linen wrinkles easily and as I mentioned in another post, that quality is accepted as a natural part of the material. It just goes along with the look. I'd simply recommend steaming the jacket and ironing the pants after a long day of wear. Simply taking more care in the steaming/ironing than a regular wool suit should solve some of the wrinkle problem.