1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Linen Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jmswentworth, Mar 25, 2005.

1. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Senior Member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris
    (jmswentworth @ Mar. 25 2005,14:16)
    I personally would only buy a linen suit in either a beige/oatmeal color or a tan. I would never buy one in navy, and God forbid never, never in black. Linen is a summer cloth, so it should be in light summer colors.
    Then you should look into patterned linen shirts, such as stripes, etc. Edit: OOOPPSS.. I thought shirts, not suit. Â [​IMG] Â DO NOT under any circumstances buy a multicoloured stiped linen suit.. But a linen suit done is a beautiful dove grey is tasteful and elegant.

Personaly I think grey is far too dull.
    Dove grey dull??? It is a beautiful colour.
    Can you give an example of the exact tone of the colour.

2. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I agree that too formal is not quite right for linen, but I am thinking about a lighter-than-navy blue. Something like 201010 or 201203 in the following book: http://www.theexecutivescloset.com/fabrics....ens.htm Has some of the character of the blue used in trad poplin.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

That's a nice blue for linen; I like it.

4. T4phage

T4phage Distinguished Member

Originally Posted by T4phage,Mar. 25 2005,06:16
    I personally would only buy a linen suit in either a beige/oatmeal color or a tan. I would never buy one in navy, and God forbid never, never in black. Linen is a summer cloth, so it should be in light summer colors.
    Then you should look into patterned linen shirts, such as stripes, etc. Edit: OOOPPSS.. I thought shirts, not suit. Â [​IMG] Â DO NOT under any circumstances buy a multicoloured stiped linen suit.. But a linen suit done is a beautiful dove grey is tasteful and elegant.

Personaly I think grey is far too dull.

Dove grey dull??? It is a beautiful colour.

Can you give an example of the exact tone of the colour.
    Look at a pigeon, the chest coloration... that is what I mean by "dove" grey. Edited for spelling error.

5. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Distinguished Member

yes, by "dark blue", I meant something like 201010. Not navy... Luc

6. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Senior Member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris
    I see.

7. Giona Granata

Giona Granata Senior Member

Perfect colors for Linen are off-white, tan, and blue. These are the classics. The navy blue linen is classic, and it is beatiful as it is a tiny bit lighter than on other fabric types, and will shade beatifully over times.

Giona.

8. Giona Granata

Giona Granata Senior Member

And do not buy a Linen fabric that is not less than 400/440gr.

9. seanandnik

seanandnik Senior Member

what is wrong with a striped linen suit? I don't have a striped suit but I do have a few pair of striped linen pants and have ordered and am waiting for a beige with cream stripes linen sportcoat for summer wear. I really like a pair of lightweight linen pants with a flat front and a drawstring waist. rolled up with a pair of leather sandals and a lightweight linen casual shirt, this is a classic beach nightlife wear.

10. lakewolf

lakewolf Distinguished Member

Well, I do have a black linen suit... I like black suits they look sharp to go for a night out, I see them as a dressed down formal attire [​IMG] , So I have one fashion slim Italian 2 btn, flat front low rise in "natural elastic" wool, to go dancing, two 3 btn, one wool 100's for standard use one 120's for special ocassions, one shawl lapel tuxedo wool 100's/mohair and this 2 button linen suit...

Obviously I never wear them in the day.... for the day I have the off-white (201000) linen suit

11. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Distinguished Member

I'd go for white or off-white, in a double-breasted 6x2, but that's probably not fashion-forward enough for you.

12. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

what is wrong with a striped linen suit? I don't have a striped suit but I do have a few pair of striped linen pants and have ordered and am waiting for a beige with cream stripes linen sportcoat for summer wear. I really like a pair of lightweight linen pants with a flat front and a drawstring waist. rolled up with a pair of leather sandals and a lightweight linen casual shirt, this is a classic beach nightlife wear.

I have a brownish striped linen suit that I'm quite fond of. It's unusual, but it gets a lot of compliments.

13. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Distinguished Member

Perfect colors for Linen are off-white, tan, and blue. These are the classics. The navy blue linen is classic, and it is beatiful as it is a tiny bit lighter than on other fabric types, and will shade beatifully over times.

I think the off white or cream shade is a bit impractical for our modern, city living. For an odd jacket, cream or even white is great. A navy linen suit in that slightly brighter shade is indeed a classic. You can always pair the jacket with white linen pants. One note about navy or dark linen, it does bleed color, especially where one tends to perspire most. I think the khaki or medium brown or toast color is more versatile.

14. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

I would do light blue or green in linen. Are you trying to get a year around suit in linen by getting a dark linen color?

15. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

I would do light blue or green in linen. Are you trying to get a year around suit in linen by getting a dark linen color?

I don't think linen is really appropriate outside of summer time, regardless of the color. Here's a (cameraphone) pic of my brown linen suit.

[​IMG]