1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Linen Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jmswentworth, Mar 25, 2005.

1. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Senior member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris
    I'm considering buying a couple of linen suits, any recs. for a colour, I'm thinking:

Navy Blue
    Cream
    Sand
    Brown
    Black??

Which would you choose? (and why)

I want one high quality one, like a Brioni, and one fashion orientated one, does anyone have any suggestions with regard to which brands make them?

What type of cut would you go for? And how may button/ vent arrangement etc.?

2. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Dolce & Gabbana make decent linen suits which are fashion forward, without being outrageous.

I don't like black linen, because it shines too much. So I would go for cream coloured suits and maybe dark blue, which is quite nice in linen.

A fashion forward suit at the moment would be : narrower lapels & shoulders, one or two buttons and central vent, flat front slim & tappered pants.

Luc

3. jmswentworth

Don't Dolce tend to have wider lapels though?

4. Luc-Emmanuel

(Luc-Emmanuel @ Mar. 25 2005,02:41) Dolce & Gabbana make decent linen suits which are fashion forward, without being outrageous. I don't like black linen, because it shines too much. So I would go for cream coloured suits and maybe dark blue, which is quite nice in linen. A fashion forward suit at the moment would be : narrower lapels & shoulders, one or two buttons and central vent, flat front slim & tappered pants. Luc
    Don't Dolce tend to have wider lapels though?
    depends on the collections, really. From what I saw at http://www.dolcegabbana.it , it looks like the lapels are pretty narrow to me. Luc

5. jmswentworth

I saw some peak lapelled linen suits there; do you think they are a good idea?

6. Luc-Emmanuel

I don't know about the peaked lapels, it's a matter of personal preferences. Depends also if you want to wear this suit in a casual work environment or not. Peak lapels definitely look very fashion forward on a suit right now.

Luc

7. jmswentworth

So perhaps if I went for a peak lapel fashion-forward suit (such as a Dolce) in a lighter colour, such as a cream, and a more conservative tailored suit in a darker colour (maybe dark blue) do you think that would be a good idea? Also, do you think it would be better to have the darker one in a 3 button, with dual vent, as that looks more 'buisnessey'

8. Stu

Stu Senior member

I personally would only buy a linen suit in either a beige/oatmeal color or a tan. I would never buy one in navy, and God forbid never, never in black. Linen is a summer cloth, so it should be in light summer colors.

9. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Then you should look into patterned linen shirts, such as stripes, etc. Edit: OOOPPSS.. I thought shirts, not suit. [​IMG] DO NOT under any circumstances buy a multicoloured stiped linen suit.. But a linen suit done is a beautiful dove grey is tasteful and elegant.

10. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

I have a navy blue with large white chalkstripes and ticket pocket 100% linen suit from Polo that I love.

Although it wrinkles just by looking at it.

11. jmswentworth

It just has to become part of the look, though it can seem like we have been on a long-haul flight in our suit..

12. jmswentworth

(Stu @ Mar. 25 2005,13:03) I personally would only buy a linen suit in either a beige/oatmeal color or a tan. I would never buy one in navy, and God forbid never, never in black. Linen is a summer cloth, so it should be in light summer colors.
    Then you should look into patterned linen shirts, such as stripes, etc. Edit: OOOPPSS.. I thought shirts, not suit. Â [​IMG] Â DO NOT under any circumstances buy a multicoloured stiped linen suit.. But a linen suit done is a beautiful dove grey is tasteful and elegant.
    Personaly I think grey is far too dull.

13. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm with Stu on this one. Some shade of off-white, or tan, or olive would be perfect. There is something not-quite-right-about gray or blue linen, to my mind. If I wanted a gray or blue summer suit, I would get wool fresco, or a wool-mohair blend, or maybe dupioni silk.

14. jmswentworth

Yes, I agree, on the other hand, in a work environment it can seem a little out of place to be wearing a light coloured suit unless it is very warm. Moreover, as I am based throughout western Europe (Paris, London, Zurich, Geneva, Frankfurt, all rarely warmer than 21C, although I am also in Madrid and Milan quite often, so I suppose a lighter one would be acceptable then) it is mostly cold.

15. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

(T4phage @ Mar. 25 2005,05:01)
    I personally would only buy a linen suit in either a beige/oatmeal color or a tan. I would never buy one in navy, and God forbid never, never in black. Linen is a summer cloth, so it should be in light summer colors.
    Then you should look into patterned linen shirts, such as stripes, etc. Edit: OOOPPSS.. I thought shirts, not suit. Â [​IMG] Â DO NOT under any circumstances buy a multicoloured stiped linen suit.. But a linen suit done is a beautiful dove grey is tasteful and elegant.
    Dove grey dull??? It is a beautiful colour.

16. jmswentworth

(jmswentworth @ Mar. 25 2005,14:16)

Can you give an example of the exact tone of the colour.

17. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I agree that too formal is not quite right for linen, but I am thinking about a lighter-than-navy blue. Something like 201010 or 201203 in the following book: http://www.theexecutivescloset.com/fabrics....ens.htm Has some of the character of the blue used in trad poplin.

18. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's a nice blue for linen; I like it.

19. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Originally Posted by T4phage,Mar. 25 2005,06:16

Can you give an example of the exact tone of the colour.
    Look at a pigeon, the chest coloration... that is what I mean by "dove" grey. Edited for spelling error.

20. Luc-Emmanuel

yes, by "dark blue", I meant something like 201010. Not navy... Luc