• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

linen suit for job interview?

Coburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
You'd wear a linen suit to a summer interview at the same place you'd wear a tweed suit to a winter interview. Nowhere.

+1

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
Linen wrinkles no matter what it's in. I own several linen pocket squares and I wouldn't wear any of them (not even my white one with a TV fold) to an interview because they still suffer from the wrinkle affect, and white linen pocket squares have a habit of being not quite white, enough that it might look dirty to an observer. So at best I look like I've got a wrinkled and dirty handkerchief in my pocket.
Just a little OCD here? A linen square folded won't, under any conceivable circumstances, wrinkle. Silk squares are not for TV folds as the cloth has no crispness. More fop/dandy than linen.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Just a little OCD here? A linen square folded won't, under any conceivable circumstances, wrinkle.

Silk squares are not for TV folds as the cloth has no crispness. More fop/dandy than linen.

Yeah, I've never had a linen PS look wrinkled. Especially in a TV fold, where you will only see maybe the top inch of the fold sticking out of the pocket anyway. I will, however, agree that a PS in general is probably a bad idea for an interview.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
If, however, wearing a suit is simply too formal for the interview, then just wear wool trousers, shirt and tie.
Sorry, but I cannot agree with this. A jacket without tie is ALWAYS a better option than a tie without a jacket if a jacket and tie is not required but something more than slacks and a shirt is. The latter looks like you're going to a high school homecoming dance and is only acceptable when required as part of a uniform (such as police officers in certain cities and certain military uniforms). As to the question in the OP, all depends on the industry/level of position. If it's a mid to senior level job with a company in the entertainment business, then sure, why not. If it's as a financial analyst, I probably wouldn't wear a linen suit to work, let alone to the interview.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in recruiting and I for one have never seen anyone wear a linen suit to an interview. Its just not done, full stop. And as for a jacket without a tie! Forget it. And yes people, usually internal candidates will come to an interview without a jacket on but they are always wearing a tie.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
Sorry, but I cannot agree with this. A jacket without tie is ALWAYS a better option than a tie without a jacket if a jacket and tie is not required but something more than slacks and a shirt is.

+1,000

Poindexter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
Sorry to snark, but "better than Alfani" is redundant.

Said ironically, brah. In Maui, we can't even get Florsheim any more. Should I have said 'Bostonian'?

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
I work in recruiting and I for one have never seen anyone wear a linen suit to an interview. Its just not done, full stop. And as for a jacket without a tie! Forget it. And yes people, usually internal candidates will come to an interview without a jacket on but they are always wearing a tie.

Is this an Australian thing? Because where I am a jacket without tie would make for the better look when dropping one of the items. Tie without jacket would stand out in a weird way.

bluesman528

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chrenetique
But do you think cotton suits are acceptable for a job interview?
Frankly speaking, why should they? Cotton suits ooze with leisure as much as linen. And cotton wrinkles quite the same way. Just don't wear it in any serious business activity that includes some contact with people you meet for the first time. Why do you want to take any risk of making a miserable first impression when there is wool as a risk-free (and equally stylish) alternative?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by austerlitz
who wears a suit to a McDonalds interview
laugh.gif

Buddy of mine works in corporate strategy at McDonald's HQ. As you can imagine, he has a lot of fun whenever people ask him where he works.
laugh.gif

GBer

Reaction score
No cotton, linen, or even silk. Stick with wool. Only if you are applying for the Love Boat in a tropical locale and wearing a matching Tommy Bahama shirt, might it work.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Buddy of mine works in corporate strategy at McDonald's HQ. As you can imagine, he has a lot of fun whenever people ask him where he works.
laugh.gif

this is funny

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Never wear linen for a job interview, unless the job relates in someway to the manufacture of linen..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads