• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen sports jacket and t-shirt?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Never really done t-shirt and tailored jacket before - but in these super-casual times I wonder if it is a way to get more use out of my jackets. I can't really see it working in the colder seasons with tweed but maybe in the spring/summer with linen? Or does it just look too 80s?
What's the best way to do it ... linen trousers and plimsols/ tennis shoes? T-shirt tucked or untucked? (Maybe untucked dispels some of the 80s vibes?)

PXL_20220415_163052777.jpg

Or jeans and derbies? (I don't do loafers which I realise might be the go-to suggestion on here!)

PXL_20220415_163518049.jpg
PXL_20220415_163639998.jpg

Of if I am going so casual that I am wearing a t-shirt is it better to forget about the tailored jacket and wear my linen harrington or cotton shawl-collar cardigan?
PXL_20220415_163142557.jpg PXL_20220415_163939325.jpg

Any advice on whether or not this look is cool/stylish gratefully received!

rjc149

Reaction score
The beige linen jacket outfit looks good, very summery. I think a t-shirt with a linen jacket is fine, as long as the t-shirt doesn't have graphics. Personally I would untuck the t-shirt, and maybe I'd go with a Henley t-shirt to add some collar-like visuals to the neckline.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
There's nothing inherently wrong with tee + blazer, it's just not always easy to pull off. Your jacket might not quite fit right without a shirt shoulder, or you might run into an issue tucking the tee into your pants or something. I think you pulled it off, especially with the lighter jacket.

The most consistent solution, from what I've seen, is a "knit tee." All tees are knit, jersey is a knit, I don't think I've ever seen a woven tee, but a "knit tee" in quotes usually has the ribbing of a sweater, especially at the hem so you don't have to worry about tucking it in. The Anthology makes a good one, and it works pretty consistently, see below:

Napolizzi

Reaction score
the navy jacket doesnt suit you, maybe too short in length? also looks too formal

and that look works but you need summery colours and good colour combinations. I prefer solid colours but ive seen people pull of checks

some blazers are just more casual, check out italian designers they are often unlined and more relaxed

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please, please stop posing that way for your photos. Hands in pockets and your legs crossed that way doesn't help us assess your fits.

don't like those jeans for that look.
For a linen sportcoat, your whole look has to be lighter and more summery. Those jeans don't work, nor do the olive (?) chinos. Shirt (just as examples): wide stripe, seersucker, or white linen OCBD. Knit tee as @Daniel Hakimi suggests could work. Trousers: off-white or tan linen trousers. Loafers or white sneakers.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few silk/cotton t's that I've worn with linen or cotton SC.
Mine are from Theory and a 70% silk 30% cotton blend. For
south Florida it works well.
Linen trousers imo and loafers for sure.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
the navy jacket doesnt suit you, maybe too short in length? also looks too formal

and that look works but you need summery colours and good colour combinations. I prefer solid colours but ive seen people pull of checks

some blazers are just more casual, check out italian designers they are often unlined and more relaxed
Thanks for the input. Could you suggest some specific Italian designers? This jacket is actually from a US manufacturer (Spier and Mackay) but is supposed to be cut in an Italian style (Neapolitan) so to my understanding it should be relatively casual. Certainly more so than my other navy blazers/sports jackets which are all from British manufacturers and, to my eye, look much more structured and formal.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the navy SC have patch pockets? If so it is plenty casual. From the 2 pics I can't tell how long it is.
If it about covers your rear its fine.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t work with jeans for me. I think I would wear a pair of dressier trousers than anything you have pictured. The light jacket with a navy T-shirt and light grey trousers might look good with loafers.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Doesn’t work with jeans for me. I think I would wear a pair of dressier trousers than anything you have pictured. The light jacket with a navy T-shirt and light grey trousers might look good with loafers.
Dressier (but still casual) trousers is where my wardrobe falls down a bit at the moment - all I have that really fits that criteria would be wool flannels but obviously that's seasonally incongruent with the look I'm going for.

Would something like this hit the spot you're taking about? Possibly still looks a bit too non-casual to me:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dressier (but still casual) trousers is where my wardrobe falls down a bit at the moment - all I have that really fits that criteria would be wool flannels but obviously that's seasonally incongruent with the look I'm going for.

Would something like this hit the spot you're taking about? Possibly still looks a bit too non-casual to me:

yes I think those are better, although personally I wouldn’t wear a t shirt with trousers with side adjusters. I think a belt would be better (but honestly, unless it’s a suit, I’m totally done with side adjusters for all my future purchases).

here’s some recent commentary part way through about this Topic.

Napolizzi

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Could you suggest some specific Italian designers? This jacket is actually from a US manufacturer (Spier and Mackay) but is supposed to be cut in an Italian style (Neapolitan) so to my understanding it should be relatively casual. Certainly more so than my other navy blazers/sports jackets which are all from British manufacturers and, to my eye, look much more structured and formal.

i agree with british jackets, they are often padded at the shoulders and very "stiff"

I am no expert on blazers but from what I have seen, Belvest is the best, you can pick them up in outlets for reasonable prices. A lot depends on your own measurements. Casual blazers are better slightly oversized so they hang, again that is my opinion.

Other designers I like are Lardini, although they are mostly formal, Boglioli and Taglaitore

I would also like some input from other users

jc8715

Reaction score
You can consider a polo shirt with casual jackets. Just need to get ones with a good collar. I'd say chinos over denim for warm weather.

chrome_screenshot_1651405131072.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads