Linen sportcoat, to canvas or not?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edmorel, May 4, 2006.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Looking at having a linen sportcoat made and I'm thinking that the canvas would show through the front of the jacket. Would this be the case or is it a matter of how good/bad the tailor is. I'd like a canvas front and canvas lapels as I do not like the way linen sportcoats look most of the time. They get very wrinkly and the lapels fold funny. I'm looking for a relaxed yet sharp jacket which will retain it's shape, at least as much as is possible with linen.

2. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

The linen used for suiting should not be transparent; therefore, I'd advise to go with a canvassed construction.

3. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bump. I was wondering the same thing. Are there different gauges of canvas used for heavier cloth or lighter cloth?

4. Bull

Bull Senior member

Looking at having a linen sportcoat made and I'm thinking that the canvas would show through the front of the jacket. Would this be the case or is it a matter of how good/bad the tailor is. I'd like a canvas front and canvas lapels as I do not like the way linen sportcoats look most of the time. They get very wrinkly and the lapels fold funny. I'm looking for a relaxed yet sharp jacket which will retain it's shape, at least as much as is possible with linen.

Go for canvas but, except for the front, let it be otherwise as unlined. The back should be as close to fully unlined as possible.

5. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

6. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Uncanvassed and unconstructed. The point of a linen jacket is to keep you cool in hot weather. An extra layer of horsehair plus lining is antithetical to the goal. EDIT: wtf I replied to a necro thread. [​IMG] Hey ed, you sure were dumb 4 years ago.

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

All my linen jackets have canvas fronts. Never had a problem with seeing through.

Dark shades of linen can look "shimmery" with a white (or cream) canvas so tailors tend to use black for that. You won't notice.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Dark shades of linen can look "shimmery" with a white (or cream) canvas so tailors tend to use black for that. You won't notice.

Sometimes they still use white and you clearly notice.... [​IMG]

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Uncanvassed and unconstructed. The point of a linen jacket is to keep you cool in hot weather. An extra layer of horsehair plus lining is antithetical to the goal.

EDIT: wtf I replied to a necro thread. [​IMG] Hey ed, you sure were dumb 4 years ago.

I have both but prefer my uncanvassed and unconstructed. It's a great travel and all occasion jacket.

10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Manton, does your tailor use a lighter weight canvas for your linen jackets? Or doesn't it matter?

I read Ed's original post to mean he didn't want something too "stiff" or too "flimsy" for linen. I thought using a thinner gauge canvas on the lapels and chest would be just enough to maintain some jacket shape. But, wasn't sure if canvas came in different weights.

Sorry to call you out, Ed. I've been here longer![​IMG]

11. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

My linen sportcoat is canvassed and still wears very cool - I love it. I suggest you stay with the canvas.

12. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Mine are canvassed and for the most part unlined. The canvas doesn't show in front.

13. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

my god I've been here since 2006 [​IMG]
    How did the jacket turn out?

14. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

How much does it cost to have one made?

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Mine are canvassed and for the most part unlined. The canvas doesn't show in front.
    The canvas doesn't show in the canvassed one I have. That one is a half-lined blazer and is quite dressy.