1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Linen sportcoat, to canvas or not?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edmorel, May 4, 2006.

1. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Looking at having a linen sportcoat made and I'm thinking that the canvas would show through the front of the jacket. Would this be the case or is it a matter of how good/bad the tailor is. I'd like a canvas front and canvas lapels as I do not like the way linen sportcoats look most of the time. They get very wrinkly and the lapels fold funny. I'm looking for a relaxed yet sharp jacket which will retain it's shape, at least as much as is possible with linen.

2. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

The linen used for suiting should not be transparent; therefore, I'd advise to go with a canvassed construction.

3. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bump. I was wondering the same thing. Are there different gauges of canvas used for heavier cloth or lighter cloth?

4. Bull

Bull Senior member

Looking at having a linen sportcoat made and I'm thinking that the canvas would show through the front of the jacket. Would this be the case or is it a matter of how good/bad the tailor is. I'd like a canvas front and canvas lapels as I do not like the way linen sportcoats look most of the time. They get very wrinkly and the lapels fold funny. I'm looking for a relaxed yet sharp jacket which will retain it's shape, at least as much as is possible with linen.

Go for canvas but, except for the front, let it be otherwise as unlined. The back should be as close to fully unlined as possible.

5. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

my god I've been here since 2006 [​IMG]

6. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Uncanvassed and unconstructed. The point of a linen jacket is to keep you cool in hot weather. An extra layer of horsehair plus lining is antithetical to the goal. EDIT: wtf I replied to a necro thread. [​IMG] Hey ed, you sure were dumb 4 years ago.

7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

All my linen jackets have canvas fronts. Never had a problem with seeing through.

Dark shades of linen can look "shimmery" with a white (or cream) canvas so tailors tend to use black for that. You won't notice.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Dark shades of linen can look "shimmery" with a white (or cream) canvas so tailors tend to use black for that. You won't notice.

Sometimes they still use white and you clearly notice.... [​IMG]

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Uncanvassed and unconstructed. The point of a linen jacket is to keep you cool in hot weather. An extra layer of horsehair plus lining is antithetical to the goal.

EDIT: wtf I replied to a necro thread. [​IMG] Hey ed, you sure were dumb 4 years ago.

I have both but prefer my uncanvassed and unconstructed. It's a great travel and all occasion jacket.

10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Manton, does your tailor use a lighter weight canvas for your linen jackets? Or doesn't it matter?

I read Ed's original post to mean he didn't want something too "stiff" or too "flimsy" for linen. I thought using a thinner gauge canvas on the lapels and chest would be just enough to maintain some jacket shape. But, wasn't sure if canvas came in different weights.

Sorry to call you out, Ed. I've been here longer![​IMG]

11. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

My linen sportcoat is canvassed and still wears very cool - I love it. I suggest you stay with the canvas.

12. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Mine are canvassed and for the most part unlined. The canvas doesn't show in front.

13. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

my god I've been here since 2006 [​IMG]
    How did the jacket turn out?

14. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

How much does it cost to have one made?

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Mine are canvassed and for the most part unlined. The canvas doesn't show in front.
    The canvas doesn't show in the canvassed one I have. That one is a half-lined blazer and is quite dressy.

16. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Funny how there are so many differing opinions on the topic. I have a canvassed linen sportcoat with half lining and the lining is made of a cotton shirting material. I like it a lot, but am thinking I'd like to try one without a canvas next. Likely a DB.

I was thinking an alternative to not make it too flimsy would be to use an additional layer or two of the linen itself as the canvas to make it a touch more robust. Could be a silly idea, but curious if it would work. I would then have no lining of any kind and natural shoulders.

17. the_sartorialist

the_sartorialist Senior member

I was thinking an alternative to not make it too flimsy would be to use an additional layer or two of the linen itself as the canvas to make it a touch more robust. Could be a silly idea, but curious if it would work. I would then have no lining of any kind and natural shoulders.

I was thinking the same thing, only to use a lightweight fresco rather than linen. So it would simply be cut with a self-facing (or french facing?) cloth as though to conceal a canvas, but in reality, there would be no canvas, so the double layer of fresco should hopefully give it enough body.

Anyone tried this before?

18. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Manton, does your tailor use a lighter weight canvas for your linen jackets? Or doesn't it matter?
    Same canvas, so far as I know, but then he uses soft stuff for everything.

19. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you having this made by Volpe? If so, I imagine the canvas used by the Neapolitans will be very soft and light. You can ask to have just a canvas chest piece, no lapel canvas. BTW, the jkt should be self-fabric lined in the front quarters and no lining anywhere else (save for the upper back and sleeves)