• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen Sport Coat

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your constructive comments. After trying on the model at a local store,
I'll probably bid on it.

Pocketsquareguy: Humidity in the Bay Area summer ? Maybe in the City when
it's 55 degrees F. Our weather is one of the main reasons we pay so much for
housing. Right now in Palo Alto ( 11:08 PM) it's 56 degrees : Tweed jacket
weather. Nevertheless, I do own several pairs of linen pants including a pair
of linen jeans, which is something of a curiosity.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
Pocketsquareguy: Humidity in the Bay Area summer ?

Not here, but I do travel to humid areas in the summer.

And, here in Walnut Creek where it is often 15-20 degrees warmer than SF, linen feels very comfortable on a hot, dry day.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
One piece of unsolicited advice on linen jackets. I like my jackets tailored pretty close around the waist, and on my linen jackets I've discovered that I need them to he a tad looser to start. As they wear in and wrinkle there is some effective shrinkage that results.
Yep, tailors generally give linen more room.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine left my sleeves a tad longer to allow for it riding up my arm since it is such lightweight cloth.

instep

Reaction score
If wrinkling is a concern, then go with checks or houndstooth patterns, where wrinkles are less immediately apparent.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Mine left my sleeves a tad longer to allow for it riding up my arm since it is such lightweight cloth.
I also have the sleeves longer on my linen jackets to account for the inevitable creasing at the elbow.

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
some online mens mag had stuff on linen for summer - white linen sc.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is giving me pause as I just took my navy linen suit pants back to BB to have them re-hemmed with no break as they originally hemmed them with way too much break. Now I'm wondering if I'll wind up with the Thom Browne look
eek.gif
although the Irish linen they use is heavy and doesn't wrinkle as much and there is the inevitable belt slippage over the course of the day.

neil7230

Reaction score
What breathes better, all linen or a blend like linen/cotton/silk? Or should I just stick to tropical wool?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neil7230
What breathes better, all linen or a blend like linen/cotton/silk? Or should I just stick to tropical wool?
I don't know for sure, but I suspect it would be 100% linen. It certainly feels better on me on a hot and humid day.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
This is giving me pause as I just took my navy linen suit pants back to BB to have them re-hemmed with no break as they originally hemmed them with way too much break. Now I'm wondering if I'll wind up with the Thom Browne look
eek.gif
although the Irish linen they use is heavy and doesn't wrinkle as much and there is the inevitable belt slippage over the course of the day.

If it is heavy Irish linen I doubt it will be a problem. I have a heavy (actually very heavy) Irish linen jacket and even though it has some wrinkles the weight of the fabric causes it to hang almost like a substantial tweed.

I only have to allow for linen to be longer if it is on the lighter side.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is heavy Irish linen I doubt it will be a problem. I have a heavy (actually very heavy) Irish linen jacket and even though it has some wrinkles the weight of the fabric causes it to hang almost like a substantial tweed.

I only have to allow for linen to be longer if it is on the lighter side.

Thanks, you talked me in off the ledge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads