• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

linen sport coat with jeans for summer?

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
i realize folks may think this more a sw&d question, but they tend to be more "fashion forward" and i tend to favor a more conservative look, so i'm hoping for your thoughts / help.

does linen look good with denim? if so, any suggestions on linen SCs to keep an eye out for would be greatly appreciated. if not, i'd love to hear your thoughts on a good SC to wear casually in the summer.

i've come to the realization that while this board has helped my dressier wardrobe immensely, it's probably time i work on upgrading my casual look

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do this all the time. Can't go wrong with a very light grey solid linen jacket, as it will wear well with any shade of denim. Wear it with some light faded jeans, a t-shirt and sockless shoes around town during the day or with dark jeans, a crisp white shirt and slip-ons to head out for dinner. I was in Paris last week and this was my go-to for dinners.

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
very light grey with dark jeans and a white shirt; definitely like the idea of that. By the same token, would the opposite work; a darker coat with lighter jeans? Also, do you have any suggestions for good quality linen SCs?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohdannyboy
very light grey with dark jeans and a white shirt; definitely like the idea of that. By the same token, would the opposite work; a darker coat with lighter jeans? Also, do you have any suggestions for good quality linen SCs?

I don't think the dark coat with light jeans would look very good; the dark coat will be too dark for daytime wear during the summer, and the light jeans too casual for going out.

I can't really help you on which coat, mine was a $60 job from H&M bought specifically as a throw-away for a trip where I felt I might wreck at least one piece of outerwear (though surprisingly it came back intact, more than I can say for my luggage, but I digress...).

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
TimelesStyle, no worries on the recommendation. I really appreciate your help on this, and am glad I've got the opportunity for vetting some of these thoughts.

I had read elsewhere that both cashmere (or a cashmere blend) and camel hair (or a camel hair blend) work well with jeans, but they both strike me as too warm for summer. That said, i've never actually worn either, so am I missing the boat there?

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
also, what about going lighter than light grey? perhaps a cream / white / very light natural linen color?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TimelesStyle, no worries on the recommendation. I really appreciate your help on this, and am glad I've got the opportunity for vetting some of these thoughts.

I had read elsewhere that both cashmere (or a cashmere blend) and camel hair (or a camel hair blend) work well with jeans, but they both strike me as too warm for summer. That said, i've never actually worn either, so am I missing the boat there?

You do not want to wear camel hair or cashmere in the summer. Way too warm, and the look is all off.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have also rocked a tan or light brown linen SC. The lighter color works with just about anything and is cooler to wear in the summer.

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
thanks all for your advice on fabric and color, this has been very helpful. do any of you have thoughts on quality linen SC brands? i'd be interested in something with natural shoulders and buttons that don't really stand out. also, something that's (hopefully) durable, as there's great potential for it becoming a staple of my summer wardrobe

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen looks fine with denim - an easy way of telling is dress up and look in the mirror. If it looks good, you are good to go. Lighter Linen jacket though works better with jeans, stick with summer colors.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks all for your advice on fabric and color, this has been very helpful. do any of you have thoughts on quality linen SC brands? i'd be interested in something with natural shoulders and buttons that don't really stand out. also, something that's (hopefully) durable, as there's great potential for it becoming a staple of my summer wardrobe
Check out the B&S section. There are some nice ones there for reasonable prices.

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
i appreciate the B&S suggestion, and will certainly keep my eye out. that said, i've not fully gotten my measurements down, and tend to do better when i'm able to try things on. i can certainly understand if nothing comes to mind though, and i do appreciate all the help thusfar

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy or blue linen SC, light blue shirt, white jeans and brown double monk straps... Just saying
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads