• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen Sport Coat Question

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Need some advice (disclaimer I am a ignorant noob)

Since discovering SF, as most newbs, I have realized the error of my ways in regard to a myriad of fashion choices and purchases I have made in the past.

So here is the deal, awhile back, I came across a black linen sport coat that fit pretty much perfectly. I needed a light wight casual coat for "going out", so I picked it up since it was on deal @ 40 off. I know black SC's are defiantly not SF approved; from what I gather, linen coats are a bit more widely accepted because of the texture and overall casual look of the coat (could be wrong).

My question is this: what is the general consensus on black linen coats in regard to casual evening wear? I realize dark denim probably works with said coat. how about a slim fitting linen trouser and obviously you can pair with grey wool trousers. What button down shirt combinations might work?

Is there no hope for a black linen SC?

Last edited:

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
I used to have a black linen SC until an angry ex kidnapped it (along with a lot of other good stuff) and took it to france.
I used to wear slim gray or dark navy jeans with it. and I found that a well pressed, spread collar shirt went well with it

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I used to have a black linen SC until an angry ex kidnapped it (along with a lot of other good stuff) and took it to france.
I used to wear slim gray or dark navy jeans with it. and I found that a well pressed, spread collar shirt went well with it
Thanks for the reply.
Generally what color shirts did you wear with said look?

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Crisp white shirt (no button down), grey slacks or black/grey jeans, black zip or chelsea boots, white linen pocketsquare.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Crisp white shirt (no button down), grey slacks or black/grey jeans, black zip or chelsea boots, white linen pocketsquare.
Not sure if serious.

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
why would he not be serious?

anyways, i don't get black linen. i see it and think "professional photographer."

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
why would he not be serious?
anyways, i don't get black linen. i see it and think "professional photographer."
It was admitted that a black linen SC is not ideal, and not typically SF approved within in the original post. Thus I expected a snarky and or sarcastic post or two. As mentioned, I was not sure if serious because a white T with a SC is typically also frowned upon round these parts.

Thanks for your feedback.

Say you were cursed with a black linen Sc, how would you wear it when not taking photos?

Last edited:

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

It was admitted that a black linen SC is not ideal, and not typically SF approved within in the original post. Thus I expected a snarky and or sarcastic post or two. As mentioned, I was not sure if serious because a white T with a SC is typically also frowned upon round these parts.

Thanks for your feedback. 

Say you were cursed with a black linen Sc, how would you wear it when not taking photos?

With faded black raw denim and vintage CBGB tee. I mean, if you're going to own black, "own" black, IMO. Don't try to fit it into the standard-issue, business-conservative wardrobe as espoused by SF traditionalists. It's more of a Streetwear & Denim choice. It can be done successfully, but it's of a different millieu.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Apologies, it wasn't meant to be too obnoxious. It's just that the informality of linen vs. the color black always strike me as discordant.

Anyways, I think you misunderstood fuuma - he did not mean t-shirt, but rather not a button-down *collar* shirt. White shirt with buttons down the front but not on the collar points.

There may be something to the photog comment in the final analysis though - you want to make this edgy if possible. Tighter fit on the jeans, definitely not an oxford-cloth shirt, maybe look a little less kempt than usual. In other words, you don't want to look like the wedding photographer who is wearing a jacket because he has to and black is his favorite color so that's the jacket he has, but rather you want to look like the art photographer who's saying "**** you dude, I'm an artist."

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
With faded black raw denim and vintage CBGB tee. I mean, if you're going to own black, "own" black, IMO. Don't try to fit it into the standard-issue, business-conservative wardrobe as espoused by SF traditionalists. It's more of a Streetwear & Denim choice. It can be done successfully, but it's of a different millieu.
Thanks for the tip! How do you feel about a grey chambrey button down shirt?
I also like to dress S&D style so this is helpful.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Apologies, it wasn't meant to be too obnoxious. It's just that the informality of linen vs. the color black always strike me as discordant.
Anyways, I think you misunderstood fuuma - he did not mean t-shirt, but rather not a button-down *collar* shirt. White shirt with buttons down the front but not on the collar points.
There may be something to the photog comment in the final analysis though - you want to make this edgy if possible. Tighter fit on the jeans, definitely not an oxford-cloth shirt, maybe look a little less kempt than usual. In other words, you don't want to look like the wedding photographer who is wearing a jacket because he has to and black is his favorite color so that's the jacket he has, but rather you want to look like the art photographer who's saying "**** you dude, I'm an artist."
No problem. Thanks for the tips!

If anyone from SF snarks me, I will scream "come at me bro -- f$#ck you, I'm an artist!

I guess my one saving grace is the texture of the coat. Oh well.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

No problem. Thanks for the tips!

If anyone from SF snarks me, I will scream "come at me bro -- f$#ck you, I'm an artist!

I guess my one saving grace is the texture of the coat. Oh well.

I actually think black linen is a better choice than, say, black worsted. It's a decidedly casual, SW&D choice, whereas black wool on an odd jacket would scream Office IT Guy.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I actually think black linen is a better choice than, say, black worsted. It's a decidedly casual, SW&D choice, whereas black wool on an odd jacket would scream Office IT Guy.
Understood.
I might get flamed for this, but I think the black linen looks pretty good with my slim Walt's in natural irish linen which is a tan color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads