• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen sport coat in Winter...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one word: sprezzatura

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by effortlesstyle
Is it acceptable, or is it wrong?
Nothing "wrong" about it imho, but it gets a bit chilly in NM in winter, does it not?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
it's not on the list.

exactly!

sprezzatura...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
According to age-old tradition, it is wrong, except perhaps in the tropic, on vacation, or in very warm climates with informal sartorial cultures.

Age-old tradition is of course much less observed today. And in a place like New Mexico, a linen suit would look much less out of place in the winter than it would in (say) Manhattan.

I tend to wear my clothes according to thermometer rather than the calander. I don't, for instance, pay strict attention to the Memorial Day-to-Labor Day rules regarding summer attire. Nonetheless, I would feel out of sorts in a linen suit in the dead of winter no matter what the weather. Unless, I suppose, I were in the tropics or on vacation.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Everyone knows you wear wool in the winter, linen in the summer, and a straw hat from June 15th to Labor Day. Everyone is right. And therein lies the problem. Follow these rules and you will look like everyone else. Better that you display a little originality. On the gravest days of winter I put on my gray flannels, a cashmere tie in a sober color and my white linen jacket. The pants keep me warm. The tie gains me entrÃ
00a9.png
e into good restaurants. The blazer reminds me that summer will come again."

Luciano Barbera

I love this philosophy

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Not for long. You'd quickly cease to feel much of anything.
What I mean is, in a Gore-predicted future, what if it were 75 degress on January 15th? Could I wear linen? I suppose I would have other things to worry about. But at this vantage point, the danger being not present and near, I can think about trivial things. And I think I would not wear linen.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
The "rules" regarding season specific clothing are contrivances. The fabrics and types of clothing you wear should correlate to the weather THAT DAY. If it is 72 degrees on January 1st in your area, you would look ridiculous (and uncomfortable) in wool pants and a heavy tweed jacket. If a linen sport coat is comfortable in the dead of a New Mexico winter, it is appropriate.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd never wear linen in Chicagoland, no matter what the weather, past October first. I would wear linen in the tropics, at any time of the year.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
I'd never wear linen in Chicagoland, no matter what the weather, past October first.

What time exactly on October 1st?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weather is more important to me and seems pretty logical from a functional standpoint. If it's 85 degrees in January, linen makes sense no matter what the season (hyperbole), I'll let the strict guys wear their flannel(hyperbole) in that weather. Here's me post Oct. 1st, such a rebel wearing off white linen in 85degree sunny weather.
4d1zdx1.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Just because I won't wear linen in the Northeastern US in a warm January does not mean that I insist on wearing flannel. That's what lightweight worsteds are for.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Just because I won't wear linen in the Northeastern US in a warm January does not mean that I insist on wearing flannel. That's what lightweight worsteds are for.

-- Oh, I agree with you. I was just adding hyperbole with the flannel comment. I doubt I would ever wear linen in Chicago in January. But in the transitional months, yes I will. But as I stated awhile back, if you're in Miami in January, linen probably is a viable and preferred option. Prime winter months in industrial, tranditionally cold cities like Chicago / New York may be odd in such summer attire, but again, if it was 90 plus. Weather still would be my first consideration. I think the labor day/memorial day etc. is silly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads