• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen Sport Coat Ideas

armstwa

Reaction score
I'm kicking myself for passing up on a 100% linen sport coat recently. I've been trying to find one elsewhere, but it is apparently difficult. I'm a strange size (36-37s) so they are rare.

Anyone have ideas on where to find a reasonably priced one? The one I saw was Brooks Brothers. Am I better off having one made?

On a similar note, what about linen suits? Are these better found bespoke/made to measure?

I'm in the Deep South, so linen is a regular item for me.

Thanks.

arc

Reaction score
They're very easy to find online. What's your price range?

greyinla

Reaction score
BB's a good option. If they don't have anything in stock, you could check if they offer a linen fabric through their select program.

JCrew has one available right now in your size, and probably a good cut for your build.

If you're near Atlanta, H&M will likely have something; not the highest quality, but dirt cheap.

Cheaper linen suits can be found online (Haspel and such), but cuts can tend to be boxy.

enarchay

Reaction score
Off-topic question: ideally, until how late can one wear a linen sports coat? I bought one to wear during the summer, but it's been too hot even for the linen jacket, and now I'm wondering if I'll ever get a chance to wear it.

Also, can khaki linen sports coats be worn with t-shirts in casual environments? Normally I'd say yes, but I'm not sure what shirt I'd wear with the natural linen color.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Off-topic question: ideally, until how late can one wear a linen sports coat? I bought one to wear during the summer, but it's been too hot even for the linen jacket, and now I'm wondering if I'll ever get a chance to wear it.

Also, can khaki linen sports coats be worn with t-shirts in casual environments? Normally I'd say yes, but I'm not sure what shirt I'd wear with the natural linen color.

Too hot?

Wear a tan colored or natural linen color with a light or medium blue shirt or a blue gingham check.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Too hot?

Huh? I meant to say where I live it's been way too hot to endure wearing a jacket, so I'm wondering how much longer (i.e. how many more months) I have to wear a linen sports coat without looking out of place. (I was under the impression it's primarily a summer jacket.)

Wear a tan colored or natural linen color with a light or medium blue shirt or a blue gingham check.
Would that include t-shirts? I think it would be nice to wear the jacket over a t-shirt on the hotter days or when I want to look more casual, but I wasn't sure what color would work for a t-shirt.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
The appropriateness of linen has nothing to do with what month it is. Yes, it is considered a summer jacket. Thats because its hot in the summer.

If you live in a place that is warm in the fall, then where it.

I plan to procure a basic navy blazer, and living in a very warm climate. It will probably be linen, or a linen blend. I intended to where is far outside of the summer.

VictorJB

Reaction score
If you want to get a ncie linen jacket i suggest you wait till next season. But if its a must befoer the season ends go with a light colored one (not white) so you can wear it in the month of september depending on the weather.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VictorJB
If you want to get a ncie linen jacket i suggest you wait till next season. But if its a must befoer the season ends go with a light colored one (not white) so you can wear it in the month of september depending on the weather.

Out of curiosity, why is a light color more appropriate for September than, say, navy blue?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not. Labour day used to be the old cut off for light colours.

Also I doubt the rules ever really banned dark colours during the summer season it just lighter were frowned on outside the end of May to labour day time frame.

bluebonnet

Reaction score
I am also looking for one for a while. Does anyone own the one (Irish Linen) from J Crew?

They carry 36s, which is the one that need the least tailor if I buy. Any comment?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Huh? I meant to say where I live it's been way too hot to endure wearing a jacket, so I'm wondering how much longer (i.e. how many more months) I have to wear a linen sports coat without looking out of place. (I was under the impression it's primarily a summer jacket.)

Would that include t-shirts? I think it would be nice to wear the jacket over a t-shirt on the hotter days or when I want to look more casual, but I wasn't sure what color would work for a t-shirt.

I've worn a jacket when it's over 100 degrees outside, I find it more comfortable than just a shirt.

As chris mentioned it's a year round jacket in the tropics and possibly in the desert.
plain.gif

You can wear it however you like, but I'm always more comfortable with a collared shirt under a jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads