Linen shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I am thinking of designing some linen shirts. I recall reading that cotton/linen blends are better as they don't wrinkle as much as pure linen. If so, what's the ideal percentage, 50/50?

What style? I don't want to make a casual shirt, just something I could wear underneath a summer suit, which would also be flexible enough to wear without a jacket. Should such a shirt have collar stays?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

50/50 is about right, you could also do 60/40 in either direction.

Linen-cotton is amazingly versatile. I have it in a lot of configurations: tab collar, BD, medium spread, button cuff, French cuff, etc. BD linen cotton is a great summer shirt. Can be worn under a suit with a tie, or open necked with odd trousers and no jacket. No stays for a BD of course, but the spread should probably have them. Italophiles who like floppy collars can always just leave them out.

3. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Yes, or hidden buttons. Otherwise you can't control the collar with a jacket on.

4. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

I get linen/cotton mix shirts to avoid the wrinkles. I don't know what the percentages for each are in the mix. I style these the exact same as my cotton dress shirts -- same collar, same fit, etc. (although I have never, and don't plan on ever, getting one made with french cuffs). I get my shirts with collar stays, yes.

5. Zegnamtl

Zegnamtl Senior member

100 percent linen, soft, light, and let the wind blow through on the nastiest of days.
    Collar stays, dressy in appearance, but light and airy in use.

I have a Borrelli and a Barba that fit into this category and while I wear them rarely, I love dearly on the days I do.

I don't want to make a casual shirt, just something I could wear underneath a summer suit, which would also be flexible enough to wear without a jacket. Should such a shirt have collar stays?

6. Manton

^^^ I don't find my pure linen shirts soft or light compared to linen-cotton. Pure linen has to be (or at least in my experience is) thicker, stiffer, and denser than linen-cotton.

I like it for certain things, but linen-cotton is better as a dress fabric, and better on the brutally hot days.

7. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a linen BD shirt that I love - in fact the collar is starting to wear through. I'd love a few more in a linen-cotton blend.

8. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

I like a 50/50 w/ invisible button down collars. I also like a shorter length so they can either be tucked in or worn untucked with jeans. Hard to find shirts that fit all these qualifications.

9. redtree00

redtree00 Senior member

I get the most use out of cotton/linen blend button downs.

I have one spread collar that I love but can't find anything like it. Has a collar similar to the H&K cutaway.

10. remo72tg

remo72tg Well-Known Member

Could you guys recommend any brands that make nice cotton/linen shirts.

11. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Kent Wang will, in about three months.

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have linen and 60/40 linen cotton shirts. I have found after much trial and error that a cutaway or wide spread collar works best. With collar stays it tucks nicely under the lapels of a jacket. Without stays it has a bit more casual look that is good with a linen or cotton jacket when I want to be very casual. Or, for the most casual look and comfort on a weekend or hot day, I love rolling up the sleeves with no tie and of course no jacket. I always buy a slightly smaller collar with linen shirts. They don't get as wild that way.

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

for the most casual look and comfort on a weekend or hot day, I love rolling up the sleeves with no tie and of course no jacket.
    [​IMG]

14. remo72tg

remo72tg Well-Known Member

Anyone can tell me where to find Borrelli Cotton/Linen shirts in NYC .

15. Manton

The Borrelli shop?