• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen shirts and ties

wmarson

Reaction score
Are linen shirts meant to be worn with a necktie (say, under a seersucker blazer)? Or, is a more traditional cotton shirt the better choice in this style situation? Thanks.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
It depends on the shirt. I have a linen shirt with french cuffs that I wear with suits in the summer. Others are styled in such a way that they are sport shirts only.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

It's rare to find RTW linen shirts with collars that are substantial enough to support a necktie. If you do find one, go for it. Or you could have one made for you.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Robert Talbott does custom linen dress shirts with their Estate line.

wmarson

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and welcome. I have the following linen shirt from Brooks Brothers:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&Parent_Id=202

It's a button-down, but it just did not look right when I was trying to pair it with a tie. I would assume that the collar is wide enough for a tie ... correct?

Thanks again.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmarson
Thanks for the replies and welcome. I have the following linen shirt from Brooks Brothers:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&Parent_Id=202

It's a button-down, but it just did not look right when I was trying to pair it with a tie. I would assume that the collar is wide enough for a tie ... correct?

Thanks again.

That shirt is kind of borderline. What I meant by 'substantial' is the stiffness of the collar band and collar. With that shirt, you might be able to wear a lightweight tie like a cotton knit, but it won't support a heavy silk tie. I think that one is more intended to be worn open collar and without a tie.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some high-end shirt makers such as Kiton make linen shirts in such a fine fabric that it feels like a thicker cotton (but has the look, texture, and breathability of linen). They are very crisp, and I would imagine these would work quite well with ties.

On the other hand, the looser and drapier linen shirts are best suited to be worn without a tie.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Note that the shirt has general sizes like Small, Medium and Large rather than, say, 16 x 34. That would lead me to think it's intended to be worn as a sports shirt. If it fits you well enough at the neck and sleeves you could probably get by with a tie, though.

dennisdomino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
That shirt is kind of borderline. What I meant by 'substantial' is the stiffness of the collar band and collar. With that shirt, you might be able to wear a lightweight tie like a cotton knit, but it won't support a heavy silk tie. I think that one is more intended to be worn open collar and without a tie.

wmarson, I think J's points here are the most important to consider, the collar and the weight of the tie. If the collar doesn't look right, as if it can't stand up to having a tie with it, than you aren't going to look your best. The other challenge with matching ties with linen shirts besides the weight issue is that sometimes different fabrics just don't look right against linen, especially as the shirt begins to wrinkle with wear, as it usually does quickly.
Good luck figuring it out and let us know what you decide.
DD

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
A linen-cotton blend makes a fine summer dress shirt that looks and breathes like linen, but is less stiff and wears a little better. I have both 100% linen dress shirts and linen-cotton, and I much prefer the latter. I doubt I will ever get any more 100% linen.

In general, linen should have no problem supporting a tie, assuming the shirt is cut to do so. Even handkerchief linen is stiffer than most cotton shirtings. I think both J and AlanC are correct, however, that the design of the shirt linked is not really meant for a tie, or at most a very casual knit tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads