• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen Pocket Squares with colored edge

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems a lot of SF readers are in search of linen pocket squares with colored edges. My wife and I were walking around Manhattan yesterday killing time until our plane left for San Francisco and we came across Venanzi on 3 West 56th St.

Anna Maria Venanzi showed me a drawer full of Italian white linen pocket squares with different colored borders or edges. Purple, green, red, black, pink, many shades of blue, orange, etc., etc. They were $35 each. I bought a bunch of them as well as a number of French cotton squares in blues and whites as well as a multi-colored plaid for about $50.

If you are looking for pocket squares, be sure and give them a try.

They also sell Edward Green shoes and bespoke clothing. Their shoulder is rather broad, much like the suits you see Ralph Lauren actually wearing. Eugenio and his wife Anna couldn't have been nicer.

Taxler

Reaction score
I've talked with him several times, and I agree that he was very generous with his time and knowledge. I've seen his bespoke work on a client, and it seemed to be top notch in both fit and construction. The shoulders on that jacket were soft and natural- not wide. I didn't really notice the shoulders on the RTW pieces, but I believe he or someone else told me they were made by Belvest using his patterns.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some but find myself wearing solid colours with white edges far more. More than anything though it is a pure white linen..

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
I've seen his bespoke work on a client, and it seemed to be top notch in both fit and construction. The shoulders on that jacket were soft and natural- not wide.

From what I know, he doesn't have a real bespoke service, but MTM made by either Adrian Jules or Martin Greenfield.

EDIT: Seems my info is dated - they do have bespoke according to members below

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do they have for shirtings?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
From what I know, he doesn't have a real bespoke service, but MTM made by either Adrian Jules or Martin Greenfield.

He had John Tudor making a rather strong shouldered bespoke for a while, but John became ill. Mike Chen took over, and his shoulder is a little softer.

It's real deal bespoke. Ask to be shown the workshop upstairs, Gene will take you.

I don't know the price, I have been afraid to ask, and since I am not really interested, didn't want to mislead him.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said he had his "tailor working upstairs" and he showed me a bespoke jacket "in progress" that was a second fitting for a client. Although he may have MTM, we didn't talk about that. He also has RTW suits and sportcoats, many nice shirts and drawers full of ties. I bought a handful of knit ties.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley

I was there while he was fitting the client, and he gave me a tour of the shop where I saw them cutting patterns and making suits. His claim is that the only sewing done outside the shop is the button holes.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
He had John Tudor making a rather strong shouldered bespoke for a while, but John became ill. Mike Chen took over, and his shoulder is a little softer.

It's real deal bespoke. Ask to be shown the workshop upstairs, Gene will take you.

I don't know the price, I have been afraid to ask, and since I am not really interested, didn't want to mislead him.

He quoted me $5K for any non exotic fabric.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The pocketsquares, BTW, are from Simmonot-Godard, for my money the best linen squares around, and quite reasonably priced.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
What do they have for shirtings?

A nice assortment. I noticed two collars, one a modified spread and the other in a not-to-extreme cutaway with two buttons. I liked his two button collar because it wasn't crazy tall like some Italian firms. A few of the cottons felt like silk. Overall, I would call it classic elegant. If I hadn't been off to catch a plane I probably would have picked up shirts. Oh well, next trip. (BTW, shirts were =/- $325)

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
He quoted me $5K for any non exotic fabric.

Expensive, but certainly not totally out-of-whack when compared to other NY tailors

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several squares that have a colored edge (mostly Robert Talbotts), and have wondered what is the best way to fold them. For this type of square, I typically make a four-point fold, so I can show the contrasting edge, but I'd rather find a different fold that's less fussy, but still shows the edge. Any suggestions?

emptym

Reaction score
I walked by the store earlier this year on a rainy day and was drawn in by the EGs in the window. Mr. Venanzi talked w/ me for about an hour and at the end of a great conversation he allowed me to choose any tie, on the house. I was so surprised and grateful. A wonderful man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads