1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Linen Pants... will they shrink?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by xchen, Aug 18, 2007.

1. xchen

xchen Senior member

Hi all,

I was in the Polo Ralph Lauren outlet today and finally found some linen pants in my size at a price I was willing to spend to try them out. However, they seem really baggy. I haven't washed them yet, and was wondering, will they shrink when I was them? If so I'd probably wash them and dry on high heat. Also, I know these are meant to bunch up, but would you roll them up at all? They are pleated so cuffing them is not an issue.

Thanks,
    Christian

2. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

Yup, wash them, hang dry, press while damp. Don't have them hemmed or altered before that as they will shrink. Ignore the dry clean label at your risk but I wash mine as the texture only gets better and linen is meant to be washed (but not heat dried).

3. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

They aren't going to shrink as much as it sounds like you want them to shrink. Also, unless these are drawstring linen pants, I wouldn't roll them.

4. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

They aren't going to shrink as much as it sounds like you want them to shrink. Also, unless these are drawstring linen pants, I wouldn't roll them.

Agreed on the rolling; get them hemmed/cuffed. However I thought the same thing about the shrinkage but just last week I did a first wash on a pair of linen Polo trousers that brought them in nicely in the leg. It won't hurt to try as it sounds as if you need less inseam as well.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Agreed on the rolling; get them hemmed/cuffed. However I thought the same thing about the shrinkage but just last week I did a first wash on a pair of linen Polo trousers that brought them in nicely in the leg. It won't hurt to try as it sounds as if you need less inseam as well.

I think it depends a bit on how tightly woven the linen to begin with. If the pair being mentioned above are the ones I think they are, then the weave is quite open to start with, so a little bit of shrinkage isn't entirely unexpected. A more tightly woven linen shouldn't shrink as much in my experience.

Nowadays, I tend to send all trousers to the dry cleaner, regardless of material, and haven't noticed major shrinkage with that form of cleaning.

6. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

I think it depends a bit on how tightly woven the linen to begin with. If the pair being mentioned above are the ones I think they are, then the weave is quite open to start with, so a little bit of shrinkage isn't entirely unexpected. A more tightly woven linen shouldn't shrink as much in my experience.

Nowadays, I tend to send all trousers to the dry cleaner, regardless of material, and haven't noticed major shrinkage with that form of cleaning.

It was the pair courtesy of the HF Men's Shoppe in the UK. They were had at a great price but they were a bit baggy at first appearance (as they should be, for the casual style)... I do favor washed linen though so the shrinkage was expected and welcome.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

It was the pair courtesy of the HF Men's Shoppe in the UK. They were had at a great price but they were a bit baggy at first appearance (as they should be, for the casual style)... I do favor washed linen though so the shrinkage was expected and welcome.

I'm glad the magic of water did the trick for them.

If only all fit problems were so easily solved! [​IMG]

8. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

It's possible, though, that the waistband could shrink far more than the rest of the trousers. That's fine if they're quite loose in the waist, but otherwise you could render them unwearable (or at least in need of letting out). Launder linen pants at your own peril.

9. xchen

xchen Senior member

It's possible, though, that the waistband could shrink far more than the rest of the trousers. That's fine if they're quite loose in the waist, but otherwise you could render them unwearable (or at least in need of letting out). Launder linen pants at your own peril.

I think they'd be okay if they shrunk a little. Even if they weren't, they only set me back $20 so it wouldn't wreck my world. I'm also not sure what shoes to wear these with. I'll post some pics of possibilities sometime next week to see what you guys think. Thanks for all the replies. I'll let you know how they turn out after I try washing them.

10. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

I've not notice that linen shrinks a lot when machine washed and dried. However, it looks and feels better with each wash.