Linen pants maintenance

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Jul 30, 2007.

1. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Does pressing without starch on a frequent basis do any harm to Irish linen?

I do not intend to use harsh hotel laundry on my linen pants when travelling, but they will need some pressing when unpacked.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

As long as they're not soiled at all, a light press at lowish temperature seems to be okay on linen. If there's any oils or dirt on them though, that's a bad idea.

3. horton

horton Senior member

For what it's worth, my tailor (real tailor, not just alterations) said that heavier weight high quality irish linen will soften with cleanings in a desirable way. That is, unlike a lot of quality garments which should only be cleaned when soiled etc. it seems irish linen may be an exception

4. meister

meister Senior member

Thanks I have a few Irish Liinen suits like that and will remember this advice.

5. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

From Ferguson Irish Linen (amazing bedsheets)

6. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Bumping an old thread. I have some Irish linen trowsers from Brooks Brothers. I want to throw them in the laundry machine for a cold wash. And then I would line dry and iron them.

But the tag says "dry clean only." WTF? Why should I have to dry clean irish linen? Could the linings be that dainty?

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I wash my linen trousers and hang dry. I've done this over the years, even with dry clean only slacks. However, linen slacks do fade over time with laundry where as dry cleaning prevents this.

8. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Color fading -- ok. That must be why they put the dry clean only tag in there. That, or to make the pants look worth more money. Mine are british tan so I think they will be ok. thanks jayjay

9. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

My guess is that waistband in your BB pants won't like the washing. It's fine to wash linen, and I've never had any problems with shirts or linen jeans. Garments with more construction are made with different materials, and those materials may not all take to water the same way.

10. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

^ I wondered if that might be the case. They look like cotton though. I have some other linen dress pants that are tagged "machine wash cold" etc. I will compare the guts and see if there's a noticeable difference.

11. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Bumping an old thread. I have some Irish linen trowsers from Brooks Brothers. I want to throw them in the laundry machine for a cold wash. And then I would line dry and iron them. But the tag says "dry clean only." WTF? Why should I have to dry clean irish linen? Could the linings be that dainty?
    I recent thread regarding cotton slacks with "dry clean, only" specified indicated that this may be due to the risk of different components (the lining, for instance) shrinking at different rates if laundered.