• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen Pants instead of Shorts

danteinvicta

Reaction score
Hi everyone
smile.gif

With a hot/humid Michigan summer coming, I'm thinking about linen pants/slacks since my skinny legs don't show off shorts well. I read that in other humid parts of the world, linen pants are just as common as jeans and that shorts are even considered to be what boys wear, not men. Well, I don't live there so I don't have access like they do, lol.

What type of linen should I look for that won't wrinkle when you look at it the wrong way? If you know the names of a few stores, that would be great, too.

Thanks in advance
Dante

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by danteinvicta
What type of linen should I look for that won't wrinkle when you look at it the wrong way?
Dante

Something that isn't linen might fit that bill.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may be better off with a linen cotton blend. You'll get breath-ability and less wrinkles.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're having something made, have your tailor use Irish linen that is 12+ ounces. W Bill has a terrific line, Holland & Sherry even a little heavier.

It will breathe well and rumple (instead of wrinkling).

Reaction score
Linen pants (as well as linen suits, jackets and shirts) are great for hot weather. This is because linen is a highly absorbent fabric and a good conductor of heat.

In Spain and Italy linen garments are very popular during spring and summer. Linen suits and sportcoats can also look really dapper -depending on the occasion- and in the summertime they are more comfortable than wool garments.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that light weight linen pants are cooler than are shorts - and look better too.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
I've found that light weight linen pants are cooler than are shorts - and look better too.

Concurred.

Been living in Texas for many years and find myself wearing shorts less and less since acquiring a few pairs of linen strides. I have a few shorts for the beach/Cozumel but for the diner on a summer Sunday or street festival or other hot day casual event the linens come out and the shorts stay home.

Kraken

Reaction score
Where are everyone buying their linen pants? I want to get some for this summer as well but I barely see them in stores.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
Linen/wool is a good breathable mixture that allows breathability and even work well if the evening cools off a touch. The wool content helps a lot with wrinkling, even better than cotton. This is what I'll be wearing this summer.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kraken
Where are everyone buying their linen pants? I want to get some for this summer as well but I barely see them in stores.

Macy's Cubavera. Nothing flash but when they are deep discounted you can get them for around $30.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Are any of these slim fitting? The Vince ones look slim - I'm not into the typical mega baggy linen look at all. I have a pair of LP pants that have a nice slim fit.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Check out the JCrew site for pants fits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads