• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen dress shirts

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be in Chile at the beach in Feb to participate in a wedding and will be wearing a cream linen/wool sport coat. The bride is okay with me wearing this. I'm planning on wearing a white shirt with a few buttons open. Since it is going to be rather warm then, I am thinking about getting a linen shirt made. Having never designed a linen dress shirt I'm interested in the thoughts of the SF hive mind. I wish I could buy Kent Wang's cotton/linen shirt, but unfortunately the measurements don't work for me. Does anyone on here have/wear pure linen dress shirts? Any thoughts about them? Since I'll most likely be going the el cheapo MT route, where should I loosen up the measurements? MT unfortunately doesn't have a pure white cotton/linen shirt. I found this from 2006, which I agree with
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
With linen, I don't want a form fit, but I don't want it to be baggy, either. There's a fine line here, and being on the wrong side of it can look terrible. Things I look for in a casual linen shirt: Quality linen Proper length Long sleeves, slightly blousy, that can be rolled up in a casual fashion A fit that is slightly looser than a dress shirt around the waist and chest, but not cut so large it looks like I'm wearing an improper size. I want the shoulders to fit. No pocket -- too often the pockets are comically oversized and throw off the balance of the shirt

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I am a customer of MT, I have heard nothing but bad stories about their linen cloth. Descriptions like rough, thick, etc.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never could get linen to tuck right as a dress shirt. MTM linen that I've ordered ended up hemmed as untucked casual shirts, work great for that.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
While I am a customer of MT, I have heard nothing but bad stories about their linen cloth. Descriptions like rough, thick, etc.

Thanks, this helps a lot... even though it messes up my plan. Too bad Kent Wang's shoulders are too wide.

Originally Posted by JoelF
Never could get linen to tuck right as a dress shirt. MTM linen that I've ordered ended up hemmed as untucked casual shirts, work great for that.

It looks like I should be looking for cotton/linen.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotton-linen would be much better or just cotton like maybe a smooth broadcloth. Cotton's smooth texture would contrast nicely with the coat's rougher texture. You can also get cotton in a countryish pattern like gingham. Pink or lilac gingham and a cream linen/silk suit are pretty much my summer uniform.

--Andre

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd probably just go with a light poplin cotton. I wore suits/ties all summer in the humid 90-100+ heat around here and it was fine. A linen shirt might have helped, but IMO not much.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Cotton-linen would be much better or just cotton like maybe a smooth broadcloth. Cotton's smooth texture would contrast nicely with the coat's rougher texture. You can also get cotton in a countryish pattern like gingham. Pink or lilac gingham and a cream linen/silk suit are pretty much my summer uniform.

--Andre

Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I'd probably just go with a light poplin cotton. I wore suits/ties all summer in the humid 90-100+ heat around here and it was fine. A linen shirt might have helped, but IMO not much.

I think I'm going to ditch the linen. I was looking for linen because of the way it looks, more than the way it feels. I'll go for a lightweight cotton probably, unless I come across a linen blend shirt that fits me OTR.... which is incredibly unlikely.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in a warm country , Spain, so I got several linen dress shirts with wide spread collar. The ones mixed in 50% cotton and linen seems no not perspirate as good as 100 % linen and feel as bad an warm as a polyester one . So I avoid them.

Not sure why but it happens to me.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love linen in summer. I wear this one as a dress shirt:

blivmn.jpg

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a couple of 100% linen dress shirts. I see no problem with them.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I have a couple of 100% linen dress shirts. I see no problem with them.
Who made them? That is beautiful NOBD.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a white linen dress shirt, made for me by WW Chan. I doubt Chan can have a shirt for the OP in less than 2 months, though.

Edit: Brooks Brothers' could probably have a MTM linen shirt in the OP's hands within 2-3 weeks.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
That is beautiful NOBD.

Ice blue is great. I like navy too:

detail2i.jpg

(Just to give you some ideas.)

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
brooks makes/made very thick french linen sports shirt ... feels luxo but the thickness sorta defeats the purpose

it is however far too blousy. i have a form-fitting full-linen OTR from a milan shop (del mare 1911), love it lots. linen-cotton blends have nice 3d/slubby/crunchy texture too. for me its all about the textures - because down here in texas, summers are unbearable regardless of what youre draped under

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I own a white linen dress shirt, made for me by WW Chan. I doubt Chan can have a shirt for the OP in less than 2 months, though. Edit: Brooks Brothers' could probably have a MTM linen shirt in the OP's hands within 2-3 weeks.
I know I should've thought of this earlier... These things just creep up on me. BB is a good idea. I'm planning on stopping by tomorrow anyway. I'll see what they have.
Originally Posted by NOBD
Ice blue is great. I like navy too:
detail2i.jpg
(Just to give you some ideas.)

I like! Hrmm... My jacket looks similar too, although less slate and more cream. Great idea!
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
brooks makes/made very thick french linen sports shirt ... feels luxo but the thickness sorta defeats the purpose it is however far too blousy. i have a form-fitting full-linen OTR from a milan shop (del mare 1911), love it lots. linen-cotton blends have nice 3d/slubby/crunchy texture too. for me its all about the textures - because down here in texas, summers are unbearable regardless of what youre draped under
I'll see what BB has... chunky linen is not what I'm looking for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads