• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Limits of waist suppression on a coat

denglinpiano

Reaction score
I brought a new coat to a tailor recently. During the first fitting, she pinned the waist with significant waist suppression, but I decided to opt for less suppression. On the second fitting, I thought that the waist suppression was not enough and I wanted her to add more. However, she said that if she added more, the lower part of the coat would be too tight and would ride up. Why would she say that it was not possible to suppress the waist further, when initially she was able to do it when she pinned it?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I brought a new coat to a tailor recently. During the first fitting, she pinned the waist with significant waist suppression, but I decided to opt for less suppression. On the second fitting, I thought that the waist suppression was not enough and I wanted her to add more. However, she said that if she added more, the lower part of the coat would be too tight and would ride up. Why would she say that it was not possible to suppress the waist further, when initially she was able to do it when she pinned it?
did you ask her?

BPL Esq

Reaction score
did you ask her?
This. Perhaps she realized it after making the first adjustments and seeing the modified jacket on you and/or as a result of becoming better acquainted with the construction of the jacket during the course of the work she did. If you believe she's a reasonably good tailor, the best course is probably to take her advice rather than end up with a goofy-looking jacket.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.