• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Limited Time for British Shoes in New York City

ny2la

Reaction score
Hello,

This is the first post from a long-time lurker here.

I'm going to be in New York for a few days in Early September and have time to go to 1 shoe store, possibly 2 if I can swing it.

I would like to pick up a few pairs of high end British shoes (C&J, EG, JL). Having read the forum it sounds like three good options would be the C&J store, the JL store, and Leffot.

Here are a few constraints:

1.) First, I wear custom orthotics, so the shoes should accommodate these. I have seen posts from some members who wear custom insoles with C&J shoes, but I have not seen any mention of JL and EG. Do these shoes have removable insoles?

2.) I'd like to get a few pairs - one black, one brown, possibly one chukka or something else. If I can't pick up a few pairs I'd at least like to leave knowing which lasts from which brands work with my orthotics.

3.) I will have time to visit one store, 2 at the most. So, I must prioritize. This may be an unanswerable question but is it better to spend an hour at one store trying multiple lasts or better to visit two stores for 20-25 minutes each?

Having visited none of these stores in person, I'm wondering if any locals or experienced shoppers could help me prioritize?

My impression from reading SF is that C&J has a good selection of sizes and widths in their various lasts. As a result my current thinking is to prioritize C&J, go to JL if time permits, and visit Leffot some other time, but I am open to suggestions!

My primary interest in Leffot is their EG selection, but I do have a London trip later in the month....

Thanks in advance gents - as a side I have greatly valued the earlier threads and posts in this forum. Hopefully I can contribute some wisdom (or at least shoe pics) in a few weeks upon my return!

J

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads