• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Limited Options $1500 Budget

Musicianized

Reaction score
I've visited all of my local clothier shops.

My options other than MW and JAB..

One shop is offering me a HSM Mtm for $1200

The other shop is offering a Platinum Apparel Chinese suit for $1400.

The latter is claiming the Platinum suit is half canvassed and better than the HSM suit because the canvas is not fused and the HSM has a fused canvas.

I've tried to find info on these platinum suits and haven't.

My daughter is getting married and I want a good suit. I need Mtm because I wear a 48 and the pants that come with a otr 48 and about 20 inches to big lol.

My only other local options are Josabank MTM.

I want something that isn't complete garbage.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
You wear a 48 jacket and 28 pants? I assume you mean your "drop" is bigger than the usual 6-or-so and the 20 inches is just an exaggeration ;) How big is your drop, actually? Some brands will happily do a much bigger drop than standard. Some will split up trousers and a jacket from off-the-rack suits to create a suit with a significantly unusual drop, but otherwise the same fabric/style/cut/etc, ie, distinctively a matched suit.

Where are you located? $1500 should get you a good suit anywhere, but it goes a lot further in some places than others.

How formal is the wedding? Roughly where is it, when, and at what time of day? There's a pretty big difference between getting married at the Ritz in NYC in December versus next to the beach in Cancun in July. Both in terms of what clothes will work best for comfort, and what clothes will work best for the level of formality expected.

Musicianized

Reaction score
You wear a 48 jacket and 28 pants? I assume you mean your "drop" is bigger than the usual 6-or-so and the 20 inches is just an exaggeration ;) How big is your drop, actually? Some brands will happily do a much bigger drop than standard. Some will split up trousers and a jacket from off-the-rack suits to create a suit with a significantly unusual drop, but otherwise the same fabric/style/cut/etc, ie, distinctively a matched suit.

Where are you located? $1500 should get you a good suit anywhere, but it goes a lot further in some places than others.

How formal is the wedding? Roughly where is it, when, and at what time of day? There's a pretty big difference between getting married at the Ritz in NYC in December versus next to the beach in Cancun in July. Both in terms of what clothes will work best for comfort, and what clothes will work best for the level of formality expected.

Well, I was exaggerating a little. I wear 36 Jeans so probably around a 38 in suit pants.

I'm Father of the bride. Her and the groom chose suits instead of tuxedo's so a nice suit will suffice. It is indeed an outdoor wedding in the fall in Grand Rapids, Michigan

I want to stand out!

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Yeah, a drop of 10 would be a bit hard to get off the rack.

Jeans sizes (and in fact trouser sizes) are not always entirely accurate. I have measured the waist of a 32-sized pant at anything from 30 inches, to 34 inches. But I will caution you that *many* suit trousers are designed to be worn higher - at the belly-button rather than the hip, more or less - which tends to mean that you actually want a smaller waist measurement than you're used to if you wear jeans on your hipbones.

Anyways, the real follow-up question is: Where are you located?

A perennial recommendation on this forum is suitsupply. They have many stores, and to my knowledge are often willing to break apart a suit to accommodate a larger drop than is normal. Another common thread is Spier & Mackay, who can do MTM but can also get you a significantly larger drop than usual between jacket and pants -- if you can contact them and get a response, as their customer service tends to be mediocre at best.

SuitSupply's style is fairly slim, so you may or may not find it fits you and your personal aesthetic well. But they do have an MTM program -- again, they will want to try to get you into slim fit stuff, but they're perfectly capable of making something that isn't. Ordering from Spier and Mackay would generally want a visit to a tailor to alter whatever you get to fit better. Beyond that, I think your best bet depends on where you live (or if you travel to a large city every week or two.) If your closest (eg) SuitSupply store is Chicago (if you actually live in Grand Rapids) it may not be worth the drive. On the other hand if there's a dearth of reputable tailors in your town, maybe it is worth it. Chicago (for example) will have many more options of all sorts. Without knowing more I couldn't begin to recommend a shop because I think that MTM really wants to be done in-person if possible.

Musicianized

Reaction score
Yeah, a drop of 10 would be a bit hard to get off the rack.

Jeans sizes (and in fact trouser sizes) are not always entirely accurate. I have measured the waist of a 32-sized pant at anything from 30 inches, to 34 inches. But I will caution you that *many* suit trousers are designed to be worn higher - at the belly-button rather than the hip, more or less - which tends to mean that you actually want a smaller waist measurement than you're used to if you wear jeans on your hipbones.

Anyways, the real follow-up question is: Where are you located?

A perennial recommendation on this forum is suitsupply. They have many stores, and to my knowledge are often willing to break apart a suit to accommodate a larger drop than is normal. Another common thread is Spier & Mackay, who can do MTM but can also get you a significantly larger drop than usual between jacket and pants -- if you can contact them and get a response, as their customer service tends to be mediocre at best.

SuitSupply's style is fairly slim, so you may or may not find it fits you and your personal aesthetic well. But they do have an MTM program -- again, they will want to try to get you into slim fit stuff, but they're perfectly capable of making something that isn't. Ordering from Spier and Mackay would generally want a visit to a tailor to alter whatever you get to fit better. Beyond that, I think your best bet depends on where you live (or if you travel to a large city every week or two.) If your closest (eg) SuitSupply store is Chicago (if you actually live in Grand Rapids) it may not be worth the drive. On the other hand if there's a dearth of reputable tailors in your town, maybe it is worth it. Chicago (for example) will have many more options of all sorts. Without knowing more I couldn't begin to recommend a shop because I think that MTM really wants to be done in-person if possible.
Yes I am in Grand Rapids.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you been to AK Rikks? Have never been but have heard good things about it. I am in Ann Arbor.

Congratulations, by the way!

St1X

Reaction score
For 1400$ you can get a bespoke suit and not some half canvas otr/mtm.
Or get a OTR suit at a much lower price with drop 7 and take in the waist on your trousers.

Musicianized

Reaction score
For 1400$ you can get a bespoke suit and not some half canvas otr/mtm.
Or get a OTR suit at a much lower price with drop 7 and take in the waist on your trousers
I'm pretty much stuck with local options or ordering something online. Wouldn't taking in a pair of pants that much ruin the way they are supposed to look?

St1X

Reaction score
I'm pretty much stuck with local options or ordering something online. Wouldn't taking in a pair of pants that much ruin the way they are supposed to look?
I took in 2 inches and it looked OK. For the extra space left you can use suspenders.
Or buy a suit from Suitsupply that offers mix and match option

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When is the wedding? I've been very happy with Divij Bespoke, my most recent suit was on the expensive side of their range at $1699, they should have plenty of options in the sub $1500 range.

Their quality is significantly above the average MTM operation and just slightly below traditional bespoke. They visit both Chicago and Detroit and a couple of spots in between...

Last edited:

Musicianized

Reaction score
How does that work? They size you and then leave and ship you a suit?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does that work? They size you and then leave and ship you a suit?

yea, you schedule an appointment with them when they are in town they take measurements (more measurements than other shops I have used), you select the fabric and style details. Their workshop in Hong Kong creates a pattern for you and and they make the garment and ship it to you. All in all it takes about 12 weeks or so from appointment to delivery (which is relatively quick all things considered).

You can also opt for a 'basted fitting' for an extra charge where they will send the suit over when its half way completed so you can try it on and they can make adjustments before everything is set and then they mail it out to you. This would require two appointments and normally pushes it to a 4-6 month wait time depending on what their travel schedule is.

I did the basted fitting, but I would trust Divij to do a better job at a strait measure to production suit than most other MTM shops.

Most of the stuff @Andy57 posts is Divij, his instagram is full of good examples of their work @styleafter50

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads