Limited Fabric for Bespoke Work Suit: Extra Pants or Vest?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by quine, May 19, 2016.

Extra Pants/Trousers or Vest/Waistcoat?

1. Extra Pants

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Vest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. quine

quine Member

I am having a summer suit made with a blue, pinstripe wool/cotton/silk fabric from Loro Piana. I usually get a 3-piece suit with an extra pair of pants, but in this case there are only 5.00 yards available and I have to choose between extra pants and a vest.

Regardless of which way I go, I intend for the Jacket to have 1-button and a peak lapel, and the pants will be flat fronted with no cuff. This will be part of a relatively small rotation of suits for the summer - I intend to wear this suit for about 5 months out of the year, likely 3-4 times a month. I wear a suit to work, and take off the jacket where I can.

I wear my suits as 3-pieces when possible, and enjoy the variety it provides - I think a vest would look especially impressive with the jacket I have in mind for this suit.

So I'm stuck, and I figured I'd solicit opinions. How resilient is a wool/cotton/silk blend in terms of ease of cleaning, pilling, tendency to shine, etc.? Which is the wiser path between the two options? Do I actually need an extra pair of pants with how often I'll wear the jacket?

Please explain your votes!