• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lime green cashmere crewneck sweater

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Borrelli cashmere sweater yesterday; it is a fairly close fitting crewneck cashmere sweater (light-medium weight plain weave). It isn't in my favorite color -- sort of a bright lime green -- but I got it for $42, so I couldn't pass it up (the Borrelli label had been removed from the sweater, so it made it to triple markdown at FB; I knew it was Borrelli though because of the size tag, cut, etc.). My question is, how do I wear this? I was thinking it would go fine with anything dark -- jeans, grey flannels, etc. Should I wear a button down underneath? If so, should it be dark or light in color? A sky blue button down looks fine underneath it, but I'm worrying about it being too preppy of a look. On another note, is it pathetic that I need advice/permission from this Forum on how to wear a freaking sweater?
smile.gif

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd avoid the button down and wear a crew neck t shirt underneath.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is funny: this morning, my son, 2 1/2, decided on his clothes: lime green sweater and light grey cords.
confused.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Depends on how it makes your skin look. You may need something to set it off. I don't know what, though, without seeing it.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I do need something to set it off I think.

If I don't wear a collar underneath, then I can't wear it to work, but it would go very well with a pair of the Belvest trousers I just picked up from my tailor, so I think a collar is going to occur.

My thought is for casual wear going with a soft button down blue/white stripe (the kind that you usually see in an oxford shirt). The collar is a bit wrinkled and frayed due to long-term wear, which I think will make it look non-stuffy. We'll see.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thought is for casual wear going with a soft button down blue/white stripe (the kind that you usually see in an oxford shirt). The collar is a bit wrinkled and frayed due to long-term wear, which I think will make it look non-stuffy. We'll see.

Will work like this, or with a light grey crewneck underneath. Jeans should be dark and straightlegged with minimal distressing. Grey undertones in the jeans are fine, but avoid green ones (unless you want to look like a better dressed jolly green giant.) Belt should be plain, and a light colored leather (white would look great, but a tan or cream color will also work.) Shoes - also a like color. I would go with white sneakers with navy (not green or red) detailing on them. The sweater could work great casually.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that -- I won't be able to put it together QUITE exactly like that, unless I want to go out and get some new shoes and a new belt. But I'll take as many pieces of advice from that post as I can.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not so sure about the vest but i do like the green/red/white shoes combo here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....62&rd=1 not that i could actually pull it off but your lime green cashmere sweater just happened to remind me of this auction that i was looking at yesterday. -Jeff

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to avoid the "too preppy" look wear it under a jacket or vest, it will tone it down the overall look and really make the sweater "pop." As suggested before, I think a dark jeans, some black boots, and maybe a grey down vest would work as a casual look. For the office I think the sweater under a blue or grey sport coat with a checked collared shirt and some grey trousers would look great. Hope that gives you some ideas.

A.

stache

Reaction score
A white or orange shirt underneath would look refreshing.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
A white or orange shirt underneath would look refreshing.
I think orange may be a little much. Too high contrast. I really like the light blue/white striped collared shirt idea.

Dan

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as pants go, I would suggest charcoal gray slacks for a dressier look, dark jeans as per LA Guy's recommendation for a casual look, or light sand colored flat-front slacks for spring.

A light blue shirt would look nice underneath, or perhaps a stripe/check shirt with a hint of green (maybe a leaf green, or forest green) in the pattern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads