• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lil WaynexKatie Couric

slappysloopy

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of lil wayne. (mostly due to him sounding like an arrogant, talentless, asshole on all of his albums and the obnoxious rap-through-a-synthesizer approach to making music) However, I just finished watching his interview with Katie Couric and he's a really well spoken guy when he's not rapping. He had some interesting stuff to say and as ridiculous as the guy looks, he has a pretty good mind working for him.
I don't like his music but he seems like a nice enough guy where I don't feel the need to bash him. Anyone else catch the interview? What did you think?

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappysloopy
I've never been a fan of lil wayne. (mostly due to him sounding like an arrogant, talentless, asshole on all of his albums and the obnoxious rap-through-a-synthesizer approach to making music) However, I just finished watching his interview with Katie Couric and he's a really well spoken guy when he's not rapping. He had some interesting stuff to say and as ridiculous as the guy looks, he has a pretty good mind working for him.
I don't like his music but he seems like a nice enough guy where I don't feel the need to bash him. Anyone else catch the interview? What did you think?

I pretty much thought the same. I hate him and his music, but I thought he came across pretty well in the interview.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just watched the interview. Like most rappers, he plays the "dumb" card pretty hard to maintain his reputation, although to thrive in show business for any amount of time, you have to be smart.

gqreader239

Reaction score
I like the fact that his words do not sound fake/forced (speaking in a way that is not consistent with his rap/gangster image). However, he is able to express ideas that rappers arent known for. His words were simple but I get the immediate impression that he means every single word of it.

SeriousBusiness

Reaction score
I read an article on him in GQ a month or two ago. He works his ass off for his music. No one can accuse him of half-assing his work.

Apparently, he'll do a concert, finish up around midnight, then work for twelve hours on his tourbus (he has a mini-studio in it) til around noon the following day. He sleeps, then does another concert. His mind is constantly working.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, lots of hate. Personally I think his command of the technical aspect of rapping and flowing is pretty self-evident. No, that's not all there is to hip hop music, and the other aspects of his game (cohesive production, actually having something in particular to say) are more variable.

I'm usually engaged enough by the wordplay and generally good beats to not particularly mind. Also I find it rather heartening that one of the biggest forces in pop music right now bases his reputation on rather sophisticated figurative language games.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can understand why some people would think rappers are unable to hold their own in an interview, but most decent rappers can hold their own pretty well. Lil' Wayne only did a good job If your expectations were pathetically low, which mines were. Mos Def does a good job on Mahler for example.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

TowleY

Reaction score
In my opinion right now, hes the best rapper out there with the exception of eminem til 50's new cd comes out. Hes able to use the words in ways other rappers never were able to use them. However I think the rock cd is going to suck, I cant wait for carter 4. Plus Red Rum (single off carter 4) is ******* amazing. However amazing love from the rock cd is horrid.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i fired off a nasty letter to GQ after they ran a piece on him that made him out to be the next nobel laureate. he is a hack with marginal talent. hip hop is dead. long live nas.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i fired off a nasty letter to GQ after they ran a piece on him that made him out to be the next nobel laureate. he is a hack with marginal talent. hip hop is dead. long live nas.
Lil Wayne is far from being a hack. I'm interested to know what you're basing this opinion on? His most recent auto-tune exploration is total and utter trash, but if you listen to The Carter I, II and III his flow is innovative and he approaches rap from a different perspective then most. On the outro track on the Carter III he talks for a good minute or two about the state of affairs in America. He doesn't say anything groundbreaking, but he is much more capable of an intelligent thought then I initially gave him credit for.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
+1. I don't know why it's surprising to you guys that a rapper is intelligent. Wayne still sucks. [But I would not go so far as to say he's a hack]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads