• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Li'l Help from our DC Area Friends?

Mr T

Reaction score
I know we have had threads about living in DC itself, but does anyone have advice for suburban areas outside the city? I am familiar with the region from DC to BWI from numerous business trips over the years but I have never looked through the lens of someone looking to relocate.

I am willing to undergo a long commute (goes w/out saying for DC) but prefer that commute to be via subway vs. commuter bus (it seems the buses have unreasonably short hours; for instance, last leaving DC around 6PM...what if I am working late?)

My foremost concern is the quality of schools. Second to that is ease/safety of public transport to cultural events.

I remember areas like Linthicum and Glen Burnie seemed decent years ago. I also loved Annapolis as a tourist but the subway doesn't reach. I am not familiar with Virginia except for those decent areas too close to the city for my budget.

Any recommendations as to where to look? Thank you.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither of the areas you mention have rail service to DC. Montgomery Co. is probably your best best. Great schools and the red line runs all the way up to Rockville. You could live in Bethesda. Or Chevy Chase or Takoma Park at the other end of the line.

b

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Areas that you mentioned such as Linthicum and Glen Burnie aren't all that bad, but it's a bit of a hike to get into DC. If you want to do it by public transit there is a Metro bus that runs from BWI Airport to Greenbelt Metro station, but the bus takes a good bit of time, and then you still have to get on the train.

As mentioned before, I'd check out areas such as Prince George's or Montgomery counties. As an Annapolis-area resident who commutes to Northern Virginia on occasion I agree that it is an absolutely beautiful area, but I'd look closer to the District if I was working there. Personally I'd prefer Virginia but it's more expensive than the Maryland side of the Potomac.

Feel free to PM for more information if you'd like, I'd be glad to help.

mikej77

Reaction score
I am in the Pentagon City area. Very close to the city but also very expensive if you move here with a family. If you want to stay near the metro, I would look further south on the blue line or you could live out in Falls Church which would be off the orange line. You will definitely get more for you money out there.

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
As mentioned before, I'd check out areas such as Prince George's or Montgomery counties.

Be careful which areas of PG you seek out.

satorstyle

Reaction score
What price range of home are you looking at? Calvert County has some of the best schools in the area, and is listed as one of America's richest counties. Now mind you that is all relative because some great values can be found here with the economy where it is, and with the upper part of the county being approx. 30 min from DC. Oops I just finished reading your commute requirements Calvert wouldn't work out.

mmhollis

Reaction score
I'm a Prince George's County resident, but I'm young and don't have kids. If you want your kids to go to public school Prince George's County is NOT an option for you, the schools are the worst and my mother didn't trust them past elementary school--and for good reason. You will find that the Washington Metro area is really a private school area, and there are a lot of good ones!

I would look into Bethesda, Chevy Chase, or alternatively a Northern Virginia area such as Alexandria or Arlington. I must admit, Annapolis is one of the most beautiful areas in the spring and summer and if you really are interested in living in that area there are buses that you can take from Annapolis to the New Carollton Metro.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
Be careful which areas of PG you seek out.

Stay away from Capital Heights!
lol8[1].gif

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might help if you told us where you need to commute to. No need to commute through the city if you don't have to.

I'll put in a vote for Alexandria. I'm new to the area, but I work down there and love it.

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
It might help if you told us where you need to commute to. No need to commute through the city if you don't have to.

I'll put in a vote for Alexandria. I'm new to the area, but I work down there and love it.

I would be splitting time between the Capital and Pentagon.

Thanks to those who have responded.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^For that I'd want to live on the VA side. Alexandria, Arlington, Falls Church would all be pretty easy imo.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, find yourself a beautiful little house in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria so I can live vicariously through you.

Seriously, NoVa is your best best. I hate Va. but the general Alexandria area is where you should live, and where I would live were I forced to.

b

emptym

Reaction score
Rosslyn is great. On the weekends you could walk across Key bridge to Georgetown or bike across Memorial Bridge to the Mall. Great bike paths along the Potomac that go from Mt Vernon to Great Falls and beyond.

mbell

Reaction score
I grew up in Fairfax, VA. I haven't lived there in 20 years, but my family is still there and I visit relatively often. It has grown and changed exponentially in the last 20-30 years. It has kind of become bland suburbia, but is still pretty nice. You can head south west and be out in the country pretty quickly. The other direction takes you to DC of course. Fairfax County Public Schools are supposed to be among the best in the country. Vienna, VA is right next to Fairfax and is the end of the Cap Metro Orange Line. I always liked Vienna, very charming. I think others mentioned the Falls Church and McLean areas, which are also nearby. Some of the bus lines go straight to the Pentagon from various places in Northern Virginia. Real estate is pretty expensive around there and generally immune to slumps. Not sure how it is fairing right now, but I suspect values are still high. The traffic is terrible just about everywhere in the area.

mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads