• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lightweight harness/engineer boots?

floete

Reaction score
due to an illness that's weakened my freaking ankles and just in general messed with my feet, i can no longer wear my beloved frye harness 12r boots. they're just too damned heavy and the way they fit, my ankles tend to roll out on them ... and down i go. crap. double crap. crap crap.

anyway, that being the case, anyone know of similar style boots, in the same taller height, that maybe weigh a whole bunch less? i figure the chipewas, harleys, etc, are all the same. but maybe not. thoughts anyone? thanks!

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I think if you went after something w/ a crepe sole it might be a bit better.

I was eying these engineers from Red Wing for a while:
RW engineer boots

floete

Reaction score
thanks for the suggestion, and you may be right, but those crepe soles aren't my style, exactly...

anyone else???

Oxnard

Reaction score
You should check out Russell Moccasin for sure, they have a wide range of short and tall boots that in a variety of weights, they have a lot of very nice lightweight boots like the birdshooters. Best part is that, for the same price as many other boots, they take complete measurements so that they are custom fitted. May take a few months but if you are concerned about weight and comfort this is definitely worth looking into.
http://www.russellmoccasin.com/

dsmolken

Reaction score
Maybe find a maker who can do them in kangaroo hide? Probably would be someone who also makes Western boots. Kangaroo has the best strength to weight ratio of any leather.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't buy Chippewa's.

Keep in mind most of the weight will be in the soles, the leather uppers don't really weigh much.

I have a pair of black high harness boots w/ a tall underslung heel from Double H, and they are really light for such a boot. May want to check them out.

auto90403

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I think if you went after something w/ a crepe sole it might be a bit better.

I was eying these engineers from Red Wing for a while:
RW engineer boots

Those soles are so wrong. Completely ruin the boots for me.

On the other hand, if I worked around water/downed power lines, I'd probably wear them to help save my life.

floete

Reaction score
i don't like the look of the russell m's, but thanks anyway. the double H's, otoh, look just about perfect in every way. if the weight is right, i'm in. thanks, ludeykrus!

btw / do those double h's run true to size?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Don't buy Chippewa's.

Why not (or is it just because they are heavy)? I like my chippewas quite well

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Paul Smith did some really lightweight harness boots for Triumph a year ago or so. See if you can find a pair of those. They look cool - I got the zippered jump boots instead because I never trust harness boots to fit my ankles tightly enough.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by floete
i don't like the look of the russell m's, but thanks anyway. the double H's, otoh, look just about perfect in every way. if the weight is right, i'm in. thanks, ludeykrus!

btw / do those double h's run true to size?

No prob, if you get them let me know if they were lightweight.

I'd say yes, they run true to size.

Originally Posted by otc
Why not (or is it just because they are heavy)? I like my chippewas quite well

Simply because they are heavy. I have a pair of Chippewa Engineer's as well, and love'em.

hangten

Reaction score
Have you tried Frye Brando Engineers? They are lighter then the regular engineers and IMHO look better. I have 3 pairs myself.

floete

Reaction score
went ahead and ordered two double h styles, the harness and the engineer, from shoebuy. free shipping both ways. plus, 15% off through live.com, with another 20% off with an online coupon. sweet! thanks, all, for the replies!

flipper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Don't buy Chippewa's.

Keep in mind most of the weight will be in the soles, the leather uppers don't really weigh much.

I have a pair of black high harness boots w/ a tall underslung heel from Double H, and they are really light for such a boot. May want to check them out.

Just wanted to check back in on this thread and thank Ludeyrus for his Double H recommendation. I had to go a half size smaller but the boots themselves are a whole bunch lighter than my old Fryes and about twice as comfortable, for about half the price. Sweet! thanks again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads