• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lightweight Denim for summer

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I know there is the lightweight japanese denim thread, but lets face it, 13.5oz japanese denim doesn't exactly qualify as light. Are there some good raw/1wash slim jeans that are in more appropriate summer weights such as 9-12.5 oz? I can't tell denim weight very well. For example what is the weight of dry nudies, apcs, and even then say, levis511(someone said you could find raw, but i doubt it). Do companies put out "summer/spring" jeans at all, or do you just have to find a lightweight brand? I'd love to wear dry jeans year round, but i have a feeling things like my PBJs are gonna get less use when it hits 90 in florida probably in a month(it's already 80). I'm looking into some khaki slim cargos from John Bull on Rakuten(i'll post a link when i get home in case people are interested), but would like to keep a pair of denim in the mix with khaki, and shorts. A denim weight index would be pretty cool but probably unnecessary. But, i'm already thinking about summer here in florida and i know cheap's in jacksonville and wears his canes/sammies all year, but sometimes i can do without leg sweat. I wish my basketball shorts were fashionable(selvage?
smile.gif
) because lord are those the most comfy things ever. Do you guys switch to lighter denim, shorts and khakis, or just tough it out with your heavier jeans? Some of you bastards might have consistent 70s-low80s weather all year and i hate you for it. I feel like i'm drowning in the humidity by walking outside sometimes.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Earnest Sewn uses pretty light denim; word is it's not the most durable, but if it's only a seasonal thing you should be alright.

Double D

Reaction score
Nicked off men.style.com... South Willard in LA do a 10oz Japanese denim.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, South willard does the 10 oz, but also at South Willard..they have a Rag and Bone thats an 8.5 oz denim I believe. It is more of a trouser relaxed cut though. I think thats the lowest possible

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend Earnest Sewn. I have a pair of hemingway jeans I will be rocking all summer. It gets that hot and muggy here too... The only other lightweight jeans that I can compare them to are pdc back when they were decent. The ES I have are better than those...

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
light weight denim goes down to as little as 6 oz. i dont know who uses it.
you might go to a fabric store. look and feel for the lightest denim they have.
ask if you might have a sample swatch of it.
then take the sample with you shopping. feel the denim in the jeans and compare them to your sample.

mr bunbury

Reaction score
I do know that I was in Barneys the other day and the salesman showed me a pair of APC new standard 'summer wash' jeans -- but he couldn't tell me if it was lighter weight than the regular new standards I had on at the time.

I too am really interested in answers to this.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
light weight denim goes down to as little as 6 oz. i dont know who uses it.
you might go to a fabric store. look and feel for the lightest denim they have.
ask if you might have a sample swatch of it.
then take the sample with you shopping. feel the denim in the jeans and compare them to your sample.

Yea but at 6oz its not going to last too long, so I dont think a lot of companies would go down to that.

v84

Reaction score
I remember a thread on the SuFu ages ago, "Too hot for denim?" i think 95% reponded along the lines of, "yeah, its 35 degrees here in London/NY/Wherever and im still rocking my canes!!!!!!!"

Then the debate moved onto which cut ( baggy or tight ) is coolest.....

Unless you hardly sweat, and depending how hot it is, just wear linen slacks in the heat, denim isnt that great when the summer heats up. Dark colours absorb heat, heavy cotton doesnt let your skin breath etc etc

Kozo denim does different mixes of fabric, they could be worth a look, that said, I cant imagine my canes will behave any differently to normal cotton jeans.

Apcs are 11oz?????

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Rag and Bone non-selvage indigo is incredibly light, and coincidently I happen to be selling a pair in the BS forum
wink.gif

mikesduc

Reaction score
Nudie Bootcut Ola is 11 oz. Nice summer jeans. Wore them from June to September last year.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Does Uniqlo have a cotton/hemp or cotton/linen blend for this summer? The cotton/hemp pair I had was awesome for hot weather.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
If only they were a bit larger, my man. But it's nice to know they're lighter than the selvage because the cut looks pretty good on whodini. Maybe i shouldn't be so fat with my 31-32 waist
wink.gif
. Anyone know how heavy the h&m raw sliqs are? I'm using cheaper jeans because most of the more expensive brands are heavier. Also the fit looks decent and pretty much just like the new levis 511. I wish the macys near me had those levis so i could try them. I don't care if they're raw as long as they look nice, but most levis washes don't appeal to me. Earnest Sewns are a possibility. Which ones are the slim straight legs? Fultons or filsons or something like that? Aren't the kyrres a slim cut, i don't know much about those. I might try some earnest sewns on next time in orlando with more stores. There is no barneys to look at stuff but there is a Barneys outlet where there are earnest sewns, diesels and some others like that one sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics