• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lighter indigo raw denim options?

tellure

Reaction score
Yeah I know there is a 'I have a jean question' thread, but I like to cast a wide net, so apologies to the new thread haters.

I'm looking for some quality raw denim in a lighter indigo - not the super dark overdyed indigo most stuff comes in.

Here are some examples:

Naked & Famous Vintage Blue Selvedge:
800x800.jpg

Left Field Jeans 70's Variegated Indigo Warp:
lf_70s_jean_fly.jpg

I've tried on both the above and they don't fit me unfortunately (N&F too skinny in the calfs at 7.5", LeftField too loose in the waist - the smallest size is a 33").

I've skimmed through all of BiG and SE and everything is pretty much your standard black or super-dark indigo. Anyone have any suggestions for some quality jeans in a lighter shade?

tellure

Reaction score
Don't think that would work.. if you look at the color tone in the first pic, I don't think you would get that by washing a dark jean. And they probably wouldn't fade the same either.

Here's a pic of some slightly worn-in N&F vintage blues:

IMG_0999.jpg

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in this question as well. I'm so OD'ed on dark denim.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
I'm very interested in this question as well. I'm so OD'ed on dark denim.

Dunno where they stock them, if at all. But BiG had these a while back. Maybe contact Gordon and ask if they are still available... That is, if you like them.

Somet 043:

somet_043_floor.jpg

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Levi's 501 STF has a "light blue rigid" option. But that's only for tru hardcore Tokyo denim heads. No doubt, no doubt.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
Levi's 501 STF has a "light blue rigid" option. But that's only for tru hardcore Tokyo denim heads. No doubt, no doubt.
They have like a 9" leg opening I'd be in for something w/a 7.5" leg opening in a size 33. Actually, they wouldn't even have to be raw

tellure

Reaction score
Those Somets look great.. I'll email BiG and see if they can get any more. Nothing on rakuten.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always try a pair of Spurr from ebay or a Gilt sale:

nnql53.jpg

madstaxbro

Reaction score
I remember seeing some on Context probably sold out by now though.
Also seconding the baby blue STFs, my shrunken verdes have a 7" opening. 30W though.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tellure
Thanks for the Spurr recommendation. Just ordered a pair of these.. on sale at YOOX for $75. Are they raw? Dunno.. but for $6 returns it seems worth trying.

42167843lc_12_f.jpg

http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/SPURR+...C/sts/sr_men80

Hope the inseam's long enough though.. looks a little short on the shot from the rear.

methinks it's because the 7.8" leg opening won't cover that much area of the shoe. plenty of length if you look at the way it's bunching up around the ankle.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody washed raw denim multiple times to get a lighter color? Would they still stretch and crease the same way raw denim normally does? I'd like a lighter pair that still creases/molds the way that raw denim does and I'd be willing to go the self-washed route to get the fit that I want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads