• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

light yellow shirt with grey suit?

bertcruz

Reaction score
I'm getting married in a grey suit (medium grey with hints of brown). The shirt is light yellow. Thoughts on this combo, and potential ties?
Its a backyard wedding, bride-to-be will be in a yellow/off white dress.
Thanks!

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bertcruz
I'm getting married in a grey suit (medium grey with hints of brown). The shirt is light yellow. Thoughts on this combo, and potential ties? Its a backyard wedding, bride-to-be will be in a yellow/off white dress. Thanks!
let's start with basics off white - light yellow with mostly white grey is a neutral. neutrals tend to look great with almost any colour. Grey is one of those colours that can go with a variety of tints and hues. so yes a grey suit can go with a pale yellow. tie combo, go with a burgandy brownish tie. if you're look for pattern instead of solid then try small dots.
teacha.gif
or a darker yellow tie. on second thought u can do diagonal. and to add if you really want to push the yellow theme do something with a purple tie. even a purple yellow tie. purple enhances yellow. vice versa. mazal on you getting married.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go for it if you have light complexion and hair.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poor advice so far.
If you are fair-skinned be extremely careful which yellow you choose for a shirt.
Most yellows will wash you out and you'll look like the dead.
Very few shades will work well and that shirt you posted doesn't look like one of them.

Wear the clothes when you read this, and have someone take some test photos of you,
indoors & outdoors, in sun, then shade; try with flash and without.
Avoid direct flash on the camera or apply 3 layers of translucent tape over the flash to soften,
or tape a piece of white paper over the flash for the test.

If you appear washed out with the yellow shirt, don't wear it on wedding day.
Wear a pastel pink or lavender shirt.
Wear something that compliments and not competes with your bride's gown.

edit-
It would have been more helpful if you has posted a photo of yourself so we could study your skin tones.
If you can, do. Just mask off the eyes. This is going to yield you the best advice.

bertcruz

Reaction score
Here's a photo of me in the suit with a placeholder tie. My skin is on the tan side. Thanks again for the guidance.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
with tan skin, you have more leeway. I think it looks good.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the photo.
Good news. You definitely have the skin tones to wear this shirt.
smile.gif

I, myself am fair-skinned, and that is why my earlier concern.
You pull it off rather easily, so my compliments. You'll be just fine.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and may you have a lifetime of happiness together.
Keep checking this thread as others will ring in with possible suggestions/advice.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Poor advice so far. If you are fair-skinned be extremely careful which yellow you choose for a shirt. Most yellows will wash you out and you'll look like the dead. Very few shades will work well and that shirt you posted doesn't look like one of them. Wear the clothes when you read this, and have someone take some test photos of you, indoors & outdoors, in sun, then shade; try with flash and without. Avoid direct flash on the camera or apply 3 layers of translucent tape over the flash to soften, or tape a piece of white paper over the flash for the test. If you appear washed out with the yellow shirt, don't wear it on wedding day. Wear a pastel pink or lavender shirt. Wear something that compliments and not competes with your bride's gown. edit- It would have been more helpful if you has posted a photo of yourself so we could study your skin tones. If you can, do. Just mask off the eyes. This is going to yield you the best advice.
Manoflint you are absolutely correct in saying yellow can wash out a lot of people. He already selected the shirt which is why I didn't mention that comment. Asking someone to take didn't camera flashes and put translucent tape etc etc. Wow um NO. And I am pretty sure you don't have to tell him to wear something that doesn't compete with his bride. How kind to state the obvious.... *rolls eyes*

kohelet

Reaction score
Poor advice so far.
If you are fair-skinned be extremely careful which yellow you choose for a shirt.
Most yellows will wash you out and you'll look like the dead.
Very few shades will work well and that shirt you posted doesn't look like one of them.

Wear the clothes when you read this, and have someone take some test photos of you,
indoors & outdoors, in sun, then shade; try with flash and without.
Avoid direct flash on the camera or apply 3 layers of translucent tape over the flash to soften,
or tape a piece of white paper over the flash for the test.

If you appear washed out with the yellow shirt, don't wear it on wedding day.
Wear a pastel pink or lavender shirt.
Wear something that compliments and not competes with your bride's gown.

edit-
It would have been more helpful if you has posted a photo of yourself so we could study your skin tones.
If you can, do. Just mask off the eyes. This is going to yield you the best advice.

And neither I or the previos commentor gave poor advice. A Yellow shirt looks awesome on a blonde. And the colours choices I said ARE BASIC in fashion. So if you say I gave ill advice then clearly you don't know much about colour combinations.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bertcruz
Here's a photo of me in the suit with a placeholder tie. My skin is on the tan side. Thanks again for the guidance.

Wrong tie bro. You can use something nicer for your wedding! And you're right your skin tone is perfect for many colours. So yes the yellow shirt will look great on a sun shine day.

GBer

Reaction score
Thank you for posting the photo.
Good news. You definitely have the skin tones to wear this shirt.
smile.gif

Glad you didn't ask him to get the orange tan
laugh.gif

For the tie, you can try something to match your suit - a touch of gray. It doesn't have match exactly. Perhaps a gray & off-white stripe (or ecru) or pattern.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
Glad you didn't ask him to get the orange tan
laugh.gif

For the tie, you can try something to match your suit - a touch of gray. It doesn't have match exactly. Perhaps a gray & off-white stripe (or ecru) or pattern.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

donatella-versace.jpg

If I saw that he was pale I was this close to telling him to try Jergens Glow
laugh.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kohelet
Manoflint ......Asking someone to take didn't camera flashes and put translucent tape etc etc. Wow um NO. And I am pretty sure you don't have to tell him to wear something that doesn't compete with his bride. How kind to state the obvious.... *rolls eyes*
You would be suprised what many men will wear that they think looks good on them and doesn't. This is why when we get a post like this, the first thing any response should include (as mine did), is to request a photo of the gentleman making the request (which you failed to do). The best advice comes out from photos. I was 100% correct and thorough in my response to him. Now I must roll my eyes back at you... If you have further commentary, please do not spam the thread with your insecurities.

kohelet

Reaction score
You would be suprised what many men will wear that they think looks good on them and doesn't.
This is why when we get a post like this, the first thing any response should include (as mine did), is to request a photo of the gentleman making the request (which you failed to do).
The best advice comes out from photos.
I was 100% correct and thorough in my response to him.
Now I must roll my eyes back at you...
If you have further commentary, please do not spam the thread with your insecurities.

LINT, LOOK AT MY OTHER POSTS. I USUALLY ASK FOR SKIN TONE. THIS PARTICULAR OP HAD ALREADY SELECTED HIS COLOUR, HE ALREADY SELECTED HIS WEDDING COLOR THEME, I IN NO WAY AT THAT POINT WILL DISSUADE AN OP REGARDLESS OF SKINTONE RATHER I WILL WORK UPON WHAT THEY SELECTED.

HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH INSECURITIES. YOU'RE NEGATIVE AND PRETTY UNHELPFUL. ALL YOU HAD TO CONTRIBUTE WAS PARROTING. REPEATING THE COLOR CHOICE I SUGGESTED.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads