• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

light yellow shirt with grey suit?

bertcruz

Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I'm getting married in a grey suit (medium grey with hints of brown). The shirt is light yellow. Thoughts on this combo, and potential ties?
Its a backyard wedding, bride-to-be will be in a yellow/off white dress.
Thanks!
 

kohelet

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2010
Messages
216
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by bertcruz
I'm getting married in a grey suit (medium grey with hints of brown). The shirt is light yellow. Thoughts on this combo, and potential ties? Its a backyard wedding, bride-to-be will be in a yellow/off white dress. Thanks!
let's start with basics off white - light yellow with mostly white grey is a neutral. neutrals tend to look great with almost any colour. Grey is one of those colours that can go with a variety of tints and hues. so yes a grey suit can go with a pale yellow. tie combo, go with a burgandy brownish tie. if you're look for pattern instead of solid then try small dots.
or a darker yellow tie. on second thought u can do diagonal. and to add if you really want to push the yellow theme do something with a purple tie. even a purple yellow tie. purple enhances yellow. vice versa. mazal on you getting married.
 

acecow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
4,138
Reaction score
703
Go for it if you have light complexion and hair.
 

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
6,514
Reaction score
514
Poor advice so far.
If you are fair-skinned be extremely careful which yellow you choose for a shirt.
Most yellows will wash you out and you'll look like the dead.
Very few shades will work well and that shirt you posted doesn't look like one of them.

Wear the clothes when you read this, and have someone take some test photos of you,
indoors & outdoors, in sun, then shade; try with flash and without.
Avoid direct flash on the camera or apply 3 layers of translucent tape over the flash to soften,
or tape a piece of white paper over the flash for the test.

If you appear washed out with the yellow shirt, don't wear it on wedding day.
Wear a pastel pink or lavender shirt.
Wear something that compliments and not competes with your bride's gown.

edit-
It would have been more helpful if you has posted a photo of yourself so we could study your skin tones.
If you can, do. Just mask off the eyes. This is going to yield you the best advice.
 

bertcruz

Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Here's a photo of me in the suit with a placeholder tie. My skin is on the tan side. Thanks again for the guidance.
 

chrisb0109

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2009
Messages
794
Reaction score
11
with tan skin, you have more leeway. I think it looks good.
 

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
6,514
Reaction score
514
Thank you for posting the photo.
Good news. You definitely have the skin tones to wear this shirt.

I, myself am fair-skinned, and that is why my earlier concern.
You pull it off rather easily, so my compliments. You'll be just fine.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and may you have a lifetime of happiness together.
Keep checking this thread as others will ring in with possible suggestions/advice.
 

kohelet

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2010
Messages
216
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Poor advice so far. If you are fair-skinned be extremely careful which yellow you choose for a shirt. Most yellows will wash you out and you'll look like the dead. Very few shades will work well and that shirt you posted doesn't look like one of them. Wear the clothes when you read this, and have someone take some test photos of you, indoors & outdoors, in sun, then shade; try with flash and without. Avoid direct flash on the camera or apply 3 layers of translucent tape over the flash to soften, or tape a piece of white paper over the flash for the test. If you appear washed out with the yellow shirt, don't wear it on wedding day. Wear a pastel pink or lavender shirt. Wear something that compliments and not competes with your bride's gown. edit- It would have been more helpful if you has posted a photo of yourself so we could study your skin tones. If you can, do. Just mask off the eyes. This is going to yield you the best advice.
Manoflint you are absolutely correct in saying yellow can wash out a lot of people. He already selected the shirt which is why I didn't mention that comment. Asking someone to take didn't camera flashes and put translucent tape etc etc. Wow um NO. And I am pretty sure you don't have to tell him to wear something that doesn't compete with his bride. How kind to state the obvious.... *rolls eyes*
 

kohelet

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2010
Messages
216
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Poor advice so far.
If you are fair-skinned be extremely careful which yellow you choose for a shirt.
Most yellows will wash you out and you'll look like the dead.
Very few shades will work well and that shirt you posted doesn't look like one of them.

Wear the clothes when you read this, and have someone take some test photos of you,
indoors & outdoors, in sun, then shade; try with flash and without.
Avoid direct flash on the camera or apply 3 layers of translucent tape over the flash to soften,
or tape a piece of white paper over the flash for the test.

If you appear washed out with the yellow shirt, don't wear it on wedding day.
Wear a pastel pink or lavender shirt.
Wear something that compliments and not competes with your bride's gown.

edit-
It would have been more helpful if you has posted a photo of yourself so we could study your skin tones.
If you can, do. Just mask off the eyes. This is going to yield you the best advice.


And neither I or the previos commentor gave poor advice. A Yellow shirt looks awesome on a blonde. And the colours choices I said ARE BASIC in fashion. So if you say I gave ill advice then clearly you don't know much about colour combinations.
 

kohelet

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2010
Messages
216
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by bertcruz
Here's a photo of me in the suit with a placeholder tie. My skin is on the tan side. Thanks again for the guidance.

Wrong tie bro. You can use something nicer for your wedding! And you're right your skin tone is perfect for many colours. So yes the yellow shirt will look great on a sun shine day.
 

GBer

Senior Member
Joined
May 30, 2010
Messages
663
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Thank you for posting the photo.
Good news. You definitely have the skin tones to wear this shirt.


Glad you didn't ask him to get the orange tan


For the tie, you can try something to match your suit - a touch of gray. It doesn't have match exactly. Perhaps a gray & off-white stripe (or ecru) or pattern.
 

kohelet

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2010
Messages
216
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by GBer
Glad you didn't ask him to get the orange tan


For the tie, you can try something to match your suit - a touch of gray. It doesn't have match exactly. Perhaps a gray & off-white stripe (or ecru) or pattern.





If I saw that he was pale I was this close to telling him to try Jergens Glow
 

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
6,514
Reaction score
514
Originally Posted by kohelet
Manoflint ......Asking someone to take didn't camera flashes and put translucent tape etc etc. Wow um NO. And I am pretty sure you don't have to tell him to wear something that doesn't compete with his bride. How kind to state the obvious.... *rolls eyes*
You would be suprised what many men will wear that they think looks good on them and doesn't. This is why when we get a post like this, the first thing any response should include (as mine did), is to request a photo of the gentleman making the request (which you failed to do). The best advice comes out from photos. I was 100% correct and thorough in my response to him. Now I must roll my eyes back at you... If you have further commentary, please do not spam the thread with your insecurities.
 

kohelet

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2010
Messages
216
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
You would be suprised what many men will wear that they think looks good on them and doesn't.
This is why when we get a post like this, the first thing any response should include (as mine did), is to request a photo of the gentleman making the request (which you failed to do).
The best advice comes out from photos.
I was 100% correct and thorough in my response to him.
Now I must roll my eyes back at you...
If you have further commentary, please do not spam the thread with your insecurities.


LINT, LOOK AT MY OTHER POSTS. I USUALLY ASK FOR SKIN TONE. THIS PARTICULAR OP HAD ALREADY SELECTED HIS COLOUR, HE ALREADY SELECTED HIS WEDDING COLOR THEME, I IN NO WAY AT THAT POINT WILL DISSUADE AN OP REGARDLESS OF SKINTONE RATHER I WILL WORK UPON WHAT THEY SELECTED.

HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH INSECURITIES. YOU'RE NEGATIVE AND PRETTY UNHELPFUL. ALL YOU HAD TO CONTRIBUTE WAS PARROTING. REPEATING THE COLOR CHOICE I SUGGESTED.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,743
Messages
9,457,033
Members
198,202
Latest member
renegaketty
Top