• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Light winter coat advice? (with some pics)

alflauren

Reaction score
I am increasingly at a loss to find a coat or jacket that can be worn in 40ish degree (F) weather. I have come across a few items that I think might work, but none of them seem to grab me as being exactly what I need. I am traveling in China for a few weeks, and will be in places where the temps will range from about 40-65 degrees, so I need something with that kind of flexibility. I think my requirements may limit me to cloth, but I am generally on the cold side, so some wools would probably also work. Below are a few examples of what I've found in my intended style and price range, but aren't quite right. I would take any suggestions; I'm just looking for some new names to research. FYI, I am slim and short, so topcoat-style is typically too long for me. 1) J. Crew British Millerain Anchor Peacoat
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...7984/97984.jsp I really like this coat, and would probably get it...if it weren't sold out. J. Crew also has a Millerain field jacket, which I have seen in person and like, however it's a little bit too casual for my purposes. There's also a suede university coat which is a little on the high end, pricewise, for me, and would probably get generously blemished during the trip. 2) BR Monogram Military Coat
http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...556&pid=583045 This is a cool and trim design, although maybe a bit too military. I am concerned about paying this kind of money for something from BR that provides me with no information on the type of cloth or lining. 3) Filson coats, in general. I want to like their stuff, but the famed Mackinaw Cruiser is too heavy, and I would prefer something with a lining. The oilcloth coats are interesting, but I understand they fit like a tent. 4) Brooks Brothers, in general. Too expensive for what it is. 5) ??

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw a stunning lightweight navy wool DB paddock coat in RL today (Polo line). Looked pretty unique - a true topcoat rather than overcoat. It seemed way too light to me to be genuinely warm, but it did have a lining and was wool, so sounds like it might suit you. No idea how widely this model is being sold (they only had one size in stock and I suspect it might have been a sample).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.7%
  • 31 - 40