• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light/medium gray as a suit color

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was told that light or medium gray suits (as opposed to charcoal or black) lend an impression of maturity and seniority in the workplace, especially for young guys. I'm in my early twenties and will start working soon (in the law field) once I graduate and I wanted to choose the right suit. I know if I get a black suit I'll end up looking like a doorman, plus my skin is pale/reddish so black doesn't go well. I have a relatively slim but muscular frame with broad shoulders... so I was thinking I should show that off with a slim british-cut suit in order to gain a little more gravitas (though maybe it has the opposite effect?)

I'm in Tokyo now and the big fat european tie knots everyone has look pretty cool too... I'd just get black/silver ties to go with gray since light gray suit and colored tie might look too whimsical?
490044845M_me3_fr.png

suit1.jpg

Gherkins

Reaction score
I don't see a connection between the shade of grey and the impression of maturity you leave. But I absolutely like the looks of a light grey suit - as long as the fit is really good. The lighter the grey, the more any fitting problems will be visible. A perfectly fitting light grey suit is simply a statement.
On the other hand I am not too sure about the idea of wearing a grey tie with it. It reminds of cheap european wedding dresses I've seen. (some outrageously bad suit in any colour with matching silver tie and silver pocket square ... blech). You might be right regarding the whimsy-ness (sp?) of a coloured tie. I'd just try several colours and shades. Chance is that you'll find something nice eventually.
One thing I don't like in the picture you've posted are the shoes. Don't go with black - a light grey looks even better with a lighter shade of brown or just perfect with burgundy red.

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gherkins
I don't see a connection between the shade of grey and the impression of maturity you leave. But I absolutely like the looks of a light grey suit - as long as the fit is really good. The lighter the grey, the more any fitting problems will be visible. A perfectly fitting light grey suit is simply a statement.
On the other hand I am not too sure about the idea of wearing a grey tie with it. It reminds of cheap european wedding dresses I've seen. (some outrageously bad suit in any colour with matching silver tie and silver pocket square ... blech). You might be right regarding the whimsy-ness (sp?) of a coloured tie. I'd just try several colours and shades. Chance is that you'll find something nice eventually.
One thing I don't like in the picture you've posted are the shoes. Don't go with black - a light grey looks even better with a lighter shade of brown or just perfect with burgundy red.

+1

Try navy or any shade of blue for the tie. Something with small patterns also works. Or some darker shades of purple.

Reaction score
Nice suit - I agree that whilst black shoes will always work with grey suits, you could take the opportunity to try shades of brown/burgundy shoes which can also look really individual and elegant.

My personal preference of tie would be a solid colour or bold stripes if your suit is subtlety patterned.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Light gray is one of my favourite colours. In fact, I'm not sure why I don't own more light gray suits, I suppose good ones are a bit hard to come by.

yfyf-2008-03-19-re.jpg

yfyf-2008-05-11-re.jpg

yfyf-2008-10-08-re.jpg

Also, I'm not a fan of black shoes with a light gray suit. Seems to really kill the joy of the colour.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My light and medium gray suits are among my favorites for all seasons, but especially my light gray in the summer.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the USA, the medium grey suit is a very well-to-do sort of suit. The rest of the world doesn't like lighter suits as much except to make statements with or socially. Here medium grey flannels, sharkskins, birdseyes and stripes have the American old money look. I think one of the reasons Bertie in "Jeeves and Wooster" wore medium grey suits was to show he was a wastrel and a dilletante.

Light grey suits which have some texture or pattern in them such as a PoW, sharkskin are alright for the duldrums of a humid summer but they get dirty easily. I even have a length of light grey flannel from Smiths if I ever get around to making it up.

Problem with light grey suits for work is you have to start worrying too much about appearance which may come off as a feminine trait. Industry people Ive spoken with also point out that light grey suits are prone to discoloration over time from urine stains. So if you have a lot of suits or it's purely for casual, I like it a lot more than for your workaday.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with mos of the comments thus far, a gray/light gray suit is very versatile, in fact, I have so many I have one for sale right now.

I think the OP's connection to the aged stems from the fact that the gray/white haired look good in a gray suit.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Industry people Ive spoken with also point out that light grey suits are prone to discoloration over time from urine stains.

uhoh.gif

I really like light - medium gray suits either way.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, the grey suit is mankind's highest achievement. Not sure about making you look mature but if it fits well, you'll look great.

Make sure the tie is not too close to the suit in colour.

bc78

Reaction score
Industry people Ive spoken with also point out that light grey suits are prone to discoloration over time from urine stains.

Really? I would never have thought that to be the case.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bc78
Really? I would never have thought that to be the case.
When I consider the sources they serviced a very old school westchester crowd who are probably quite thrifty; men who keep their suits a long time and dont have a lot of them. These were Custom and MTM workers who saw articles of clothes evolve and the results. I have no issues with medium grey suits, either striped or solid. Actually, even the English seem to moving into medium grey. Light grey I see as a social choice. A light grey mohair suit would be very nice. I have a light grey large herringbone crepe from Zegna but that would definitely be for social occasions. I cant oover every base but in general I would have a negative reaction to a light grey suit when conducting business. I admit that a lot of it would have to do with how it's styled, worn, with what accesories by whom and for what purpose but light grey is controversial. I would imagine it comes up a lot here because it has a taboo about it.

Gherkins

Reaction score
The rest of the world doesn't like lighter suits as much except to make statements with or socially.

Problem with light grey suits for work is you have to start worrying too much about appearance which may come off as a feminine trait.

light grey suits are prone to discoloration over time from urine stains.

Uh?

Artigas

Reaction score
Maybe someone can enlighten me as to the urine stain problem, but the uneducated question I ask now is why would your urine be coming in contact with your pants in any case?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads